This forum section is for after your build is complete and you're printing or need help. Discuss techniques, settings, etc
By myearwood
Hi all

I've got my machine somewhat built. I thought I'd be able to open Notepad and type Hello World and have it print. I get a paper out error, since I don't have any paper. Is there no way to tell Epson's printer driver to ignore that? Is there a free RIP software I can use today?

Thanks

Mike
By Andy
You should be able to do that.

Make sure the platen is in the back when you send the print or send the platen back and hit the out of paper button.
By myearwood
Hi Andy

I tried that and got farther. I now get a paper jammed error. I've got the latest version of your code.

OK. So here's all I see. The motor runs forward when the controller is powered or reset. The endstop causes the motor to reverse a bit and stop. I assume then I am to hit platen in with your desktop app? The motor runs until I hit the endstop. Then the motor stops. Then I tell Notepad to print hello world. The print head swings back and forth and then I get a paper jam. What I researched on this board gave some timing settings and these are in your code already. What do you think I'm missing?

Thanks

Mike
By Andy
myearwood wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:48 pm
Hi Andy

I tried that and got farther. I now get a paper jammed error. I've got the latest version of your code.

OK. So here's all I see. The motor runs forward when the controller is powered or reset. The endstop causes the motor to reverse a bit and stop. I assume then I am to hit platen in with your desktop app? The motor runs until I hit the endstop. Then the motor stops. Then I tell Notepad to print hello world. The print head swings back and forth and then I get a paper jam. What I researched on this board gave some timing settings and these are in your code already. What do you think I'm missing?

Thanks

Mike
If you are doing it all by hand you might not be simulating the same as the platen moving.

When you push the back switch are you releasing it? (You should) Before you release it does the motor go slow in the opposite direction?
By myearwood
If you are doing it all by hand you might not be simulating the same as the platen moving.

When you push the back switch are you releasing it? (You should) Before you release it does the motor go slow in the opposite direction?

Hi Andy - I am releasing the switch. I do see the motor go slow in the opposite direction while holding the switch.
By myearwood
Also when the encoder in the printer moves, should the motor be turning? I expect if I turn the encoder wheel manually, the platen motor should turn. It is not.
By myearwood
OK. A wire came loose and I fixed that. The motor moves after I send the platen in and manually move the encoder! I'm moving forward again. Thanks! I'm going ahead with installing EK Print.
By myearwood
Hi Andy

I managed to get EKPrint to print with the Epson. I've got to make my belt drive a little more sturdy.

Thanks

Mike
By kwojdylak
myearwood wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:08 am
OK. A wire came loose and I fixed that. The motor moves after I send the platen in and manually move the encoder! I'm moving forward again. Thanks! I'm going ahead with installing EK Print.
Hi myearwood

I have the same problem with platen after power up printer, How did you resolve it?