NebraskaTrevor

My Epson 3800 UV printer conversion

Agreed/  My led is only about 3/4" wide although even then it just barely misses the frame.  I do wish my printer was as finished in appearance of the one shown in the video.  It is far from it, mostly all open.  I saved all of the epson plastic but I haven't attempted to attach any of it yet.

• Like 1

i just wanted to add an information. you would need uv catridges, ink channels, dampers and not a solvent dx5 head. as far as i learn, uv inks are acidic so apart from them being black for uv lights, their materials are diffirent too. Along with head itself, it should be teflon(don’t know if this is right word in english) dx5 head. so standart head doesn’t works aswell. Also you need a special cap as far as i know but not sure on this one. also you should supply watercooling for best solution and while at it you can put in an ink circulation system too. then again i heard cmyk clogs easier on uv inks so i am not sure if circulation system would be possible, nnot sure on this.

there is 1 question i would like to ask, where do you get power and control for uv light?

16 hours ago, anum11 said:

i just wanted to add an information. you would need uv catridges, ink channels, dampers and not a solvent dx5 head. as far as i learn, uv inks are acidic so apart from them being black for uv lights, their materials are diffirent too. Along with head itself, it should be teflon(don’t know if this is right word in english) dx5 head. so standart head doesn’t works aswell. Also you need a special cap as far as i know but not sure on this one. also you should supply watercooling for best solution and while at it you can put in an ink circulation system too. then again i heard cmyk clogs easier on uv inks so i am not sure if circulation system would be possible, nnot sure on this.

there is 1 question i would like to ask, where do you get power and control for uv light?

Some of your information is good, some of it is completely wrong.  I will try to hit a few highpoints.  The UV ink is not acidic, and even if it was most plastics dont care about acid.  Rather it is quite "aggressive" it contains plasticizers and other agents that make it very rapidly etch into the surface of many materials.  That is what allows it to attach itself firmly to many surfaces without a pretreatment, but it is of course something to deal with in the design phase since the materials that need to be in direct contact must be compatible  with it so that the parts are not destroyed.  You speak of teflon and although I have no personal experience with it  I have no doubt it will likely work. Personally I would not use teflon due to its very weak mechanical properties.    I can tell you for certain after my own experience and after seeking some technical help from my ink supplier that the following materials are suitable for direct contact with the inks.  Delrin(acetal) Aluminum, stainless steel, brass and for the tubing LDPE.  The stock Dx5 print head has been completely unaffected by the ink after well over a year.  Myn ink tanks are milled out of solid blocks of Delrin and they have had ink sitting in them for a long time with zero problems.

I have been using the stock capping station with no problems as well.  I did have to replace the waste ink tank once as it was becoming quite 'Soft" from the ink and I did not want it to spill its guts all over the workbench again. 

For the UV light I used an adjustable constant current power supply so that I can carefully limit the voltage and current going to the LED.  I am also underdriving it by about 1/3 below stated output to hopefully conserve its lifespan since it wasn't cheap by any means.  For water cooling I am using a closed loop PC cooling fan/Pump/radiator connected with some clear vinyl tubing.  

CMYK Uv inks for all their troubles do have one wonderful property.  They do not quickly dry out, clog, or otherwise cause many circulation problems as long as you keep them out of the light.  I was told by my supplier that the ink will actually last longer when exposed to oxygen.

The white ink is a whole other story.  It is so full of suspended solids that it is extremely prone to settling, seperating, and clogging.  White ink is a major pain in the butt, but if you need it  you need it.  If you can live without it your life will surely be easier.  Good luck in your endeavours!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2018 at 11:14 PM, NebraskaTrevor said:

No instructions for the switch, I just looked at this very helpful video and went from there. It probably uses less than 5 bucks worth of parts. As for the paper width sensor problems I do always have the controller on first, in fact I must otherwise I get a different fault (1226) that I believe has something to do with the encoder signals as they relate to the controller. Once powered it works, but when powered down I get the fault without fail.

I have problem with error 1226. What is problem? I have Epson 3800

If you are going to work on converting one of these printers the very first thing you should do is download the full factory service manual which can be found by using the Google machine.  I strongly suggest printing all 400 or so pages of it.  It will be worth it's weight in ink as you work thru your conversion....which is not simple by any means.  Sadly my printer has been sitting over 6 months unused I just haven't found the uses for it that I thought I would.  If I could recapture even half of the time and money I dank into it I surely would...but it was a fun project.