Overfeeds from Rear Tray?

XZilla

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks @johnson4 for all the invaluable information! :)  I've spent an inordinate amount of time pouring through many of your post and appreciate the time and attention you've taken to answer questions in a fashion that allows for future reference for poor shmucks like myself. ;)  I feel I've been around the block with my fare share of mistakes and success and this is my third 15000.

Problem: This is a new epson refurb xp15000. When printing from the rear feed only it feeds/primes the majority of a sheet (both film and paper), noticeably more than I've seen in my prior 15000s. It then retracts the paper crumbling most of it back up into the cassette. It will then attempt to print and report a jam, either immediately or once the crumpled section of paper or film starts to feed. It prints normally from the cassette itself, leading me to believe it's not a problem with the pw sensor or forward most pe sensor.

Attempts: I attempted to clean the pw sensor without removing the head. I've removed heads numerous times before and could but didn't feel it necessary especially given the printer is fresh from epson and has no problem printing from the cassette. I also updated the firmware to stock epson and reflashed the chipless fw. I've visually inspected for obstructions and the like. Ran numerous paper guide cleanings to watch and get a sense of what was actually happening, again using both film and plain paper.

Supposition: It seems to me either the printer is feeding/priming too much length from the rear tray (I noticed that before I even encountered the first jam). Or some unknown to me mechanism to route paper back into the rear tray is not functioning, which I feel less likely, or functioning too little. Basically too much feeding, maybe too little retracting upon the start of a print job, occurring only from the rear feed.

Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks! :) 

Edited by XZilla

10 hours ago, XZilla said:

Update: Upon further inspection the rear tray roller is not running in reverse when the paper retracts. Still a mystery as to why or why it would seems to prime so much paper length.

The only reason I know is the film isn’t being detected properly. 

Over the years I have found that every Epson printer is different in this way, for example I can have 5 p400’s- 2 of them won’t detect film properly- 3 will 2 won’t. Same for all of them I’ve tried. It’s like the Paper sensors have variations. 

It’s also possible it’s just defective, did you print with regular paper to test it first? 

generally the best route is the rear feed tray, I honestly never used any of them with cassette feeding, they have enough trouble from the rear tray long term. 

good luck! 

5 hours ago, johnson4 said:

It’s also possible it’s just defective, did you print with regular paper to test it first? 

Yeah, it jams the same way both with paper and film from the rear feed tray. But works with paper from the bottom tray. Something definately seems defective to me. Probably not worth tearing into the gearing, ect, given I might still have a shot with the warranty. I was just hoping I might be missing something simple that would avoid that risk.

2 hours ago, XZilla said:

Yeah, it jams the same way both with paper and film from the rear feed tray. But works with paper from the bottom tray. Something definately seems defective to me. Probably not worth tearing into the gearing, ect, given I might still have a shot with the warranty. I was just hoping I might be missing something simple that would avoid that risk.

It happens sometimes, It's always best to test the printer before converting it, especially a refurb. Could be something small/simple, I just wouldn't have any advice as I never experienced this unfortunately.