R3000 Hasn't been used in years advice

So I've been trying to find a used compatible printer for DTF conversion. Picked up a basically free R3000 locally but they say it hasn't been used in ~8 years. Inks are def dried up, or so I would assume. 

Before I go spending 400 on parts to make this work, I was hoping to clean and test it. Any advice on how to test this printer without spending the cash on the dtf? Cleaning advice? 

52 minutes ago, ryanmoroz said:

So I've been trying to find a used compatible printer for DTF conversion. Picked up a basically free R3000 locally but they say it hasn't been used in ~8 years. Inks are def dried up, or so I would assume. 

Before I go spending 400 on parts to make this work, I was hoping to clean and test it. Any advice on how to test this printer without spending the cash on the dtf? Cleaning advice? 

You should replace the dampers. While you are doing that, take a syringe and hose and flush the ink bay. 

it might not make sense but once you remove the printhead cover you remove the damper assy. From there get a cup and paper towels and push the printhead over and disconnect the hose line to the dampers. Ink spills out. 

then remove the ink cartridges, use the syringe/hose and put it on the ink nipple. Flush it with warm water until it comes out clear. Reinstall the new dampers. 

Do a few ink charges or several cleanings. Clean the capping station really well and wet cap with cleaner for 5-10 minutes. 

do another heat clean and do a nozzle check on an inkjet transparency. 

should be good to go. 

about $40 in total, 2 hours worth of work.

while the R3000 works, it really isn’t an ideal DTF printer. The stock ink system sucks so if you don’t use it a lot everyday, you’ll end up fighting it over half the time you do try to print. That is, of course if you don’t replace the stock ink system.

Edited by johnson4