Is it possible to remove cartriges from the tray if not using ?

starmate

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me if I can remove the cartridges from the printing tray area if I don't use the printer for a while ?

If yes, how can I do that ?

Shall I remove the cartridges and put the caps back, so ink will not dry ?

What about the print head ? How can I clean them ? I created cleaning solution from ammonium glass cleaning fluid (1 cup) and still water (5 cups).

I wanted to use a paper towel, soaked with cleaning solution, that I'll put under the print head. On tray area, I wanted to do the same and clean the area like that...

If I do that, how can I know if some ink remains within the print head area ?

The soaked paper towel would stay only during the cleaning process. I was hoping that the gravity would allow the cleaning solution to run from tray area to print head... I wanted to repeat the process until the paper towel under the print head is clean (I would use multiple soaked paper towel).

Do you guys have any other alternatives ?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Jon

1 hour ago, starmate said:

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me if I can remove the cartridges from the printing tray area if I don't use the printer for a while ?

If yes, how can I do that ?

Shall I remove the cartridges and put the caps back, so ink will not dry ?

What about the print head ? How can I clean them ? I created cleaning solution from ammonium glass cleaning fluid (1 cup) and still water (5 cups).

I wanted to use a paper towel, soaked with cleaning solution, that I'll put under the print head. On tray area, I wanted to do the same and clean the area like that...

If I do that, how can I know if some ink remains within the print head area ?

The soaked paper towel would stay only during the cleaning process. I was hoping that the gravity would allow the cleaning solution to run from tray area to print head... I wanted to repeat the process until the paper towel under the print head is clean (I would use multiple soaked paper towel).

Do you guys have any other alternatives ?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Jon

Personally I wouldn’t do this. 

depending on the model you use cleaning cartridges or disassemble the ink system and manually clean it. Once all the ink system is clean, you let the cleaned ink system and cleaner filled cartridge’s clean the printhead. 

make sure all the ink ports are cleaned before doing any of that and the ink Bay Area if needed. I use foam tip swabbed damp with cleaner. Make sure the capping station is fully cleaned, as well as the bottom of the printhead first. 

The whole glass cleaner stuff doesn’t work, I tried that for quite awhile. It doesn’t break down the ink well, if it all. I lost 4 printheads using similar cleaners over the period of 6 months. You need something else more than water, and don’t leave it inside the printer. Water evaporates and glass cleaner is also made to evaporate. It actually dries it out more quickly than just water. So in the situation your going to want a different fluid after cleaning to leave in the system to preserve the machine. 

things like storage solution or wet cap solution contains wetting agents and prevents things from drying out. Use this after everything is clean inside and out. 

As for completely removing the ink remnants, the only way to do that is replace the ink system entirely. Even after fully flushed, even for hours, there will still be some remnants inside the printhead and other components. The wet cap fluid keeps it all wet and prevents evaporation, this preserves and protects the machine from those ink remnants and the environment it sits in, including colder weather. 

it takes hours to clean and prepare a machine for storage, if not done properly within a few weeks-to months it will ultimately have permanent issues requiring part replacements. That’s why any used DTF/DTG printer has little value because it’s almost certain it will need a new ink system, printhead, capping station unless flushed and prepared properly. 

I’ve followed the above method of mine and have let them sit in freezing weather at times, as well as hot and dry weather, 6+ months later load ink and works perfectly, not a single clogged nozzle or issue. I’ve also ran at least 6 printers now that haven’t had any clogging issues or failures at all since using this type of cleaner. 

Following the same but only using a DIY cleaner like you have described, I had to replace the ink system and printhead, and the capping station due to dried ink and permanent clogging. 

generally the machines are worth investing in proper cleaning/storage fluids. I know I tried this and thought the same thing about cleaner at one point. After testing, it killed almost everything unless it was used to simply wipe stuff off. 

while glass cleaner does have one ingredient that works well, the rest of the ingredients making up the glass cleaner be has actually created a negative effect. 

If you go that route, just avoid the glass cleaner and get the ammonia and a humectant. Find the proper dilution, too much will kill the head surface coating. 

good luck! 

Edited by johnson4

On 11/20/2022 at 6:21 PM, johnson4 said:

Personally I wouldn’t do this. 

depending on the model you use cleaning cartridges or disassemble the ink system and manually clean it. Once all the ink system is clean, you let the cleaned ink system and cleaner filled cartridge’s clean the printhead. 

make sure all the ink ports are cleaned before doing any of that and the ink Bay Area if needed. I use foam tip swabbed damp with cleaner. Make sure the capping station is fully cleaned, as well as the bottom of the printhead first. 

The whole glass cleaner stuff doesn’t work, I tried that for quite awhile. It doesn’t break down the ink well, if it all. I lost 4 printheads using similar cleaners over the period of 6 months. You need something else more than water, and don’t leave it inside the printer. Water evaporates and glass cleaner is also made to evaporate. It actually dries it out more quickly than just water. So in the situation your going to want a different fluid after cleaning to leave in the system to preserve the machine. 

things like storage solution or wet cap solution contains wetting agents and prevents things from drying out. Use this after everything is clean inside and out. 

As for completely removing the ink remnants, the only way to do that is replace the ink system entirely. Even after fully flushed, even for hours, there will still be some remnants inside the printhead and other components. The wet cap fluid keeps it all wet and prevents evaporation, this preserves and protects the machine from those ink remnants and the environment it sits in, including colder weather. 

it takes hours to clean and prepare a machine for storage, if not done properly within a few weeks-to months it will ultimately have permanent issues requiring part replacements. That’s why any used DTF/DTG printer has little value because it’s almost certain it will need a new ink system, printhead, capping station unless flushed and prepared properly. 

I’ve followed the above method of mine and have let them sit in freezing weather at times, as well as hot and dry weather, 6+ months later load ink and works perfectly, not a single clogged nozzle or issue. I’ve also ran at least 6 printers now that haven’t had any clogging issues or failures at all since using this type of cleaner. 

Following the same but only using a DIY cleaner like you have described, I had to replace the ink system and printhead, and the capping station due to dried ink and permanent clogging. 

generally the machines are worth investing in proper cleaning/storage fluids. I know I tried this and thought the same thing about cleaner at one point. After testing, it killed almost everything unless it was used to simply wipe stuff off. 

while glass cleaner does have one ingredient that works well, the rest of the ingredients making up the glass cleaner be has actually created a negative effect. 

If you go that route, just avoid the glass cleaner and get the ammonia and a humectant. Find the proper dilution, too much will kill the head surface coating. 

good luck! 

Hi,

Thanks very much for your tips. I really appreciate it.

I was going to do the glass cleaning mixture with still water and I saw your message. Thanks...

I am now considering going your way.

The only issue that I have now is that I live on a small island, and it is quite difficult for me to order things without paying too much shipping fees. This means that the only way I found was to order from AliExpress with standard shipping option, but it takes more than 1 month (sometimes 2 months) for the parcel to arrive.

Meanwhile, my white cartridges are nearly empty and white seems to be clogged. I've already ordered cleaning solution, but I need to wait for it to arrive...

This means that it could be possible that the clog would be more difficult to be fixed... 

Until the cleaning solution arrives, what would be your advice to avoid a permanent clog issue ?

Thanks again,

Jon