Solid color and white with stripes - yet another topic

As always, thanks for the detailed post. I'd say this topic could be transformed in some sort of advanced tutorial of things new DTF users might not even have considered!
Especially because of this I wrote earlier:

On 11/10/2022 at 6:12 AM, redna379 said:

My main concern there was that, if sellers have poor knoledge of the technology, eventual buyers not being able to reach the results they were hoping for would just blame the technology itself, rather than the poor knowledge of it their sellers actually had.

All what we're discussing here falls precisely in that realm.

Back on topic, this makes perfect sense: I might really well start thinking at air as the main cause. I would think it can be a pretty common issue with cheaper converted printers.
I have to say this is tingling me in thinking at possible solutions, perhaps even silly ones!
Now I'm really just thinking out loud, given one of the main things is not to have air and not to suck debrees from tanks.

Wouldn't be nice to have some sort of "vacuum maker" to prevent air from flowing in the tube, even in case it's sucked from the tank?
Not this, but this pic gives the idea of the placement.
image.jpeg.3f35ac1d8141a187ea1c5144f4b4ffed.jpeg

"Something" that sits across the tank and the damper which would be responsible to avoid any air to pass through, and/or to host filters to help stop any possible debree.
With something similar to "air locks" used for pipe systems, perhaps?
That sort of thing could be also an easier to access part where to do the vast majority of cleaning.

In general, making DTF's daily life easier in any possible way will, in time, pay back with a wider userbase and associated improvement of tools fo any kind.

Even finding a "simple" answer to a silly question like "what if I have to leave my printer for 2 weeks" would go in the same direction. There are just so many opinions out there, and often conflicting ones...

I'd say this is why I like posts like this. All is explained, perhaps even too much, but gives taste of real world... with pictures too!
And, most important, not just ending up with "what to do", but "why doing it". Makes a pretty good difference!

6 hours ago, redna379 said:

As always, thanks for the detailed post. I'd say this topic could be transformed in some sort of advanced tutorial of things new DTF users might not even have considered!
Especially because of this I wrote earlier:

All what we're discussing here falls precisely in that realm.

Back on topic, this makes perfect sense: I might really well start thinking at air as the main cause. I would think it can be a pretty common issue with cheaper converted printers.
I have to say this is tingling me in thinking at possible solutions, perhaps even silly ones!
Now I'm really just thinking out loud, given one of the main things is not to have air and not to suck debrees from tanks.

Wouldn't be nice to have some sort of "vacuum maker" to prevent air from flowing in the tube, even in case it's sucked from the tank?
Not this, but this pic gives the idea of the placement.
image.jpeg.3f35ac1d8141a187ea1c5144f4b4ffed.jpeg

"Something" that sits across the tank and the damper which would be responsible to avoid any air to pass through, and/or to host filters to help stop any possible debree.
With something similar to "air locks" used for pipe systems, perhaps?
That sort of thing could be also an easier to access part where to do the vast majority of cleaning.

In general, making DTF's daily life easier in any possible way will, in time, pay back with a wider userbase and associated improvement of tools fo any kind.

Even finding a "simple" answer to a silly question like "what if I have to leave my printer for 2 weeks" would go in the same direction. There are just so many opinions out there, and often conflicting ones...

I'd say this is why I like posts like this. All is explained, perhaps even too much, but gives taste of real world... with pictures too!
And, most important, not just ending up with "what to do", but "why doing it". Makes a pretty good difference!

Why is so much more important than how to me, because each scenario will truly have a variable outside of a typical procedure. Knowing why let’s you adjust to those variables in real time, instead of guessing or not knowing an outcome/reaction to each action you take. 

I think overall when you make a system more complicated, you are setting it up for more potential issues- no matter the benefit initially. While it could help, in the long run it comes down to maintenance. 

to me, the solution is rather simple in design if we are talking about ideas. 
most higher end machines utilize these design fixes. Low end machines, do not include them intentionally. 

when it comes to air in the lines, it’s easy to prevent that with nothing more than making sure all connections are sealed and set correctly. From here, just use a large syringe and suck from the damper until all air is removed. Push back a very small amount while holding the damper facing port up, just enough for the damper to close. Then wipe it with a paper towel and reinstall. No more air in this line unless there is a leak, or it’s ran out of ink. of course exterior issues like clogs, or poor ink flow can reintroduce air from the printhead. It’s unavoidable and simply a reaction to another issue caused by the user/ink. 

for the sediment, just install the ink port about 1” from the bottom. Install a mixer that runs in the bottom, like a magnetic mixer or some form of ultrasonic mixer. Then use a paddle in the main area above the bottom. or cover and shake daily manually. 

shaking will also introduce microscopic air bubbles into the ink but it’s minimal and unavoidable without using degassed cartridges. Just wait 10 minutes after shaking before proceeding. I do it end of day and beginning of day for all white ink. 

replace dampers regularly, once every 60-90 days- depending on ink maintenance and printer use to prevent the “sludge” from the white ink from getting into the printhead. 

it’s like owning a vehicle- knowing when to do basic maintenance is easy, beyond that, knowing when to clean it, rotate the tires, check the timing belt and change the differential fluid all come down to experience or following a well written owners guide- with variable options based on usage. 

it would also require people to be honest to themselves and to those who try to help and not be hard headed against ideas or being wrong- these people will keep running against the grain, until they go through the motions internally and find their own way at a much higher cost- if they make it. 

If you keep it clean, flush the lines/entire ink system on a regular basis BEFORE there is a problem, you’ll usually be fine. The longer it sits between heavy use, the more maintenance you’ll need sooner. 

it’s like any other thing really, experience is required. I can’t pick up a CNC machine and be perfect out of the gate, or become a wood worker. Running a 6 color screen-printing job and keeping alignment- etc. It takes skill and experience. 

95 percent of people won’t even take the time to read a 4 minute post that is a response to their help request. If it’s a video, absolutely will.

I don’t know how many times I get asked something I have already said multiple times in the same post/response- usually immediately after it’s said. With that, for those who do, a guide would be great. But it still boils down to the same issue and ultimately won’t end in success most of the time. 

even with a guide it takes time and money- most want to skimp on both. Long term, it’s not easy. Short term, peice of cake. 

you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink. 

first hand undeniable ( and non arguable) experience is required to truly move forward. Tips and hints are great for those who try, but it gets very muddled along the way. Those of us who do try, well we will figure it out one way or another. 

everything I know cost me something, mainly time and money. Fortunately that equates to my current experience which I would rate a 5/10, 10 being a guru. Without this cost, I wouldn’t know what I do, even if it was told to me, because I would take it lightly without my own personal investment. 

Edited by johnson4

There are suppliers who will help and truly give you all the answers and literally walk you through it without needing next to any knowledge on it, but they are much more expensive for that reason. Usually these people are rarely seen because they are always receiving the help they need. 

the people who try to skimp on cost or time… 

I'm just glad we seem to agree. Ever since I started I was not afraid of  "losing" time and money. Probably more than others, if you consider I'm not even doing this to actually run a printing business myself!!!! :D

But I love to learn and understand, that's probably the best part of my own job. And so I really appreciate peoples like you.

I really feel you about peoples not reading, you can just imagine how often that happens when you build custom complex systems where 90% of audience get stuck in the first 10% of key tasks....

Can you imagine several of my customers (who are mostly PRINTERS!) knows nothing about the difference between RGB and CMYK? But they keep asking why their supernicefluorecentRGB file which is so nice on their monitor is not printing as nice on their superexpensive 12232 channels printer....

Oh well. I learned several things and I'm just happy to Thank You for that. I am a sort of guru in many other things, so I hope I'll be able to pay you back in time, in some way. Who knows?

In case, let me know if you'll ever plan to pay a visit in Venice Italy, that's actually where I do live. Everyone wants to come here, at some point :)

1 hour ago, redna379 said:

I'm just glad we seem to agree. Ever since I started I was not afraid of  "losing" time and money. Probably more than others, if you consider I'm not even doing this to actually run a printing business myself!!!! :D

But I love to learn and understand, that's probably the best part of my own job. And so I really appreciate peoples like you.

I really feel you about peoples not reading, you can just imagine how often that happens when you build custom complex systems where 90% of audience get stuck in the first 10% of key tasks....

Can you imagine several of my customers (who are mostly PRINTERS!) knows nothing about the difference between RGB and CMYK? But they keep asking why their supernicefluorecentRGB file which is so nice on their monitor is not printing as nice on their superexpensive 12232 channels printer....

Oh well. I learned several things and I'm just happy to Thank You for that. I am a sort of guru in many other things, so I hope I'll be able to pay you back in time, in some way. Who knows?

In case, let me know if you'll ever plan to pay a visit in Venice Italy, that's actually where I do live. Everyone wants to come here, at some point :)

No worries I hope it helps some, if you have anymore questions don’t hesitate to shoot ‘em over. 

I tend to rant a bit sometimes when it’s something that I care about, like this stuff. 

color accuracy and vibrancy- man oh man it’s a whole slew of things, very unlikely related to what you offer. Kind of goes hand in hand with my previous point though, it’s never their own fault so they don’t look for internal answers, rather pawn that off on someone/something else. 

quite possibly, who knows what the future holds for us, I appreciate the gesture. 

To those who try, to those who do, to those with curious minds and only look for a guided hand at times instead of simple answers will prevail. 

Edited by johnson4