Epson XP-15000 Conversion Some Answers and Some Questions

4 hours ago, cartierusm said:

Ok I've been printing all day and everything was excellent. It just stopped min print saying there is a paper jam, when there isn't. I've unplugged the printer multiple times, cleaned the underside of the print head carriage with a paper towel in case there is ink on the sensor, but still nothing.

Is the printer dead?

Do you have the printer connected to WiFi or the epson utility installed?

3 minutes ago, cartierusm said:

No, when I converted it I disabled updates and turned off Epson Status Monitor and I never setup wifi as I got it new.

Is there hope?

Try reinstalling the chipless firmware. You can't disable the updates, It's one of those " guaranteed OEM inks/updates" printers, so it auto updates when on Wifi, or connected to an Epson utility via USB. Even your phone. 

My issue when this occured was epson pushing BS on the printer. Restarting the printer and reinstalling the chipless firmware helped me. Removed wifi from it, I used EKprint so I didn't even install the Epson driver, just the EK driver. Problem solved. I'm not sure if that will be your case, just how it happened for me.

Edited by johnson4

Ok reinstalled the firmware and same error. Now the firmware did the same thing as the first time I did it and it worked the first time, the software sucks.

It gets to 99% done, and then says it couldn't be completed (from what I read this is normal) then you hit, continue or retry. People say just to continue. Then it says finishing and doesn't go past 99%, but you can click finish at the bottom. So I did that and then restarted the printer and run the activation program. That worked and restarted the printer.

8 hours ago, cartierusm said:

Ok reinstalled the firmware and same error. Now the firmware did the same thing as the first time I did it and it worked the first time, the software sucks.

It gets to 99% done, and then says it couldn't be completed (from what I read this is normal) then you hit, continue or retry. People say just to continue. Then it says finishing and doesn't go past 99%, but you can click finish at the bottom. So I did that and then restarted the printer and run the activation program. That worked and restarted the printer.

Yea, I’m not entirely sure. Does it say paper jam when you do a nozzle check from

the printer menu with regular paper? 

8 hours ago, cartierusm said:

Ok interesting. CADLink I do believe uses it's own driver, but I have other Epson printers, but those have updates and status monitor turned off as well.

If I never setup wifi there's nothing for me to do with that, right?

You need to also consider windows will install the printer automatically when you plug it in, I don’t know about Mac. In general I would just double check, If you haven’t. 

if it does a nozzle check Print just fine from

the printer menu, then I would believe software. It took me several hours of upgrading, downgrading, uninstalling reinstalling to get past that issue when it happened to me. 

I can't get to any menu at all. It's always saying paper jam. I've unplugged it and held the power button to drain the power and plug it back in, but after it's start up sequence it says paper jam. I can't get out of that screen to the home screen whatsoever.

How do I install the stock firmware in case I need to send it in?

Edited by cartierusm

• 1 year later...

To add to this conversation, So I have a converted Epson xp 15000, been doing routine maintenance daily, but I was out of town for three days and my white ink channels have completely clogged! I tried the soak method, head cleanings, removing the print heads and cleaning, nothing worked! Is my print heads still savable or will I need to get new print heads? Also if I need new print heads where to get them from? 

5 hours ago, BC Wilson said:

To add to this conversation, So I have a converted Epson xp 15000, been doing routine maintenance daily, but I was out of town for three days and my white ink channels have completely clogged! I tried the soak method, head cleanings, removing the print heads and cleaning, nothing worked! Is my print heads still savable or will I need to get new print heads? Also if I need new print heads where to get them from? 

The best way I found to do this for a machine like this is to install cleaner carts and do 2-3 cleanings then wet cap. The problem with wet capping this machine though is it will " wick" up the printhead into the electronics if overfilled. Ideally you would want to be able to "pinch" the waste line closed so it doesn't siphon out the ink and use a glycerin/water mixture in the capping station to create a good seal and keep moisture in the head. 

Another thing to consider, it's not just the air getting to the printhead, it's the white ink settling and the heavy pigment settling into the ink channels inside the printhead. I have seen it first hand on a disassembled printhead. 

Anytime you get to this point, it's best to have another option instead of relying on the printhead/machine. At this point it is anybody's guess if that printhead can come back to life. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't. There are too many variables to consider. 

What I do in this situation is use a good cleaner that isn't too strong ( a good cleaner is key) and soak a paper towel folded up a few times. sit the printhead on this paper towel. Take another paper towel and do the same and put it on the top of the printhead covering the ink ports. It will " wick" the heavy pigment out of the printhead over time and unclog any nozzle plate clogs, sometimes it takes days and several paper towel changes. It lets gravity do the work though and prevents any issues from occurring from manually forcing it. I've recovered a few like this, anytime I get the chance I will reverse pull cleaner through a bit and keep doing this. In this situation you can't do that due to the printhead design. Anyway, do this inside of a sealed container for the best effect. 

It's been quite awhile since I used it, but I considered the xp15000 to be disposable due to it's design. Very well could be the cartridges or anything else at this point though, or a combination of that. They really don't like to sit, especially machines without a dedicated sealing station. 

Edited by johnson4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 2:50 AM, johnson4 said:

What I do in this situation is use a good cleaner that isn't too strong ( a good cleaner is key) and soak a paper towel folded up a few times. sit the printhead on this paper towel.  

Hello. Could you please recommend a good one? commercial or diy...  

So, one of the main problems,  is the printhead not making a good seal when on top of the capping station? could you please explain it a little bit more? 

and sorry for asking the same on two topics... but another question , does it make sense adding an ink filter somewhere on a CISS for a XP15000? to prevent . I have one way dumpers but square ones with no filter. 

thanks anyway