Computer power, Ram, etc..... for RIP programs?

9 minutes ago, Latitude42 said:

Getting ready to fire up my first DTF printer... thinking of using CadLink... what memory and processers are you running in you computers? I was thinking about getting a dedicated laptop for the DTF printers and curious on what I'd need? Thanks.

I used one of those walmart cheap HP's, ryzen 3, upgraded the ram to 16GB ram, 4GB didn't cut it at all. Works fine, but a bit more " loading times" with cadlink for things. Isn't buggy or laggy. I think the whole thing was $300.

I also used an HP Omen gaming laptop, 4.2Ghz i7 and upgraded it to 32GB of ram, 16GB didn't seem to cut it with this computer. Things load instantly, where with the $300 PC it takes 5-10 seconds. One was $300, One was $800. 

Whichever you choose, using a SSD helps more than anything, that I have noticed. It's not the CPU or memory that maxes out on either machine, it's the SSD read/write that seems to be the bottleneck. 

But they both work well, I'll likely upgrade the SSD in the cheap PC, something faster than the " bare minimum" to test this theory eventually. 

Edited by johnson4

it depends on rip software. Acro works faster on faster computers. Because it first rips whole image then sends to printer.

Kothari for example sends print immedietly after starting to rip. So you don't wait for rip process, so it does not need a fast computer. If i remember correct ekprint works like this too.

But in the end bone of them needs a computer more than 8 GB RAM and average CPU. They can't use too much. 

Don't know about others.

Edited by anum11

3 hours ago, anum11 said:

it depends on rip software. Acro works faster on faster computers. Because it first rips whole image then sends to printer.

Kothari for example sends print immedietly after starting to rip. So you don't wait for rip process, so it does not need a fast computer. If i remember correct ekprint works like this too.

But in the end bone of them needs a computer more than 8 GB RAM and average CPU. They can't use too much. 

Don't know about others.

Not in my experience. Acro has always taken 3+ minutes to process and send the print job for a 12X12 image, on a old 12 year old dual core 1gb pc, or this new gaming laptop. No speed difference at all. 

same with EKprint, which processes and sends the print for the same file under 20 seconds, both machines. 

Cadlink is a different story,. 

• 1 month later...

If you face data loss on your computer, you shouldn't panic. Many companies on the internet can help you restore everything you lost from your computer. Some weeks ago, I installed a file from an unsecured source that contained a virus, and as a result, I lost everything I had on my computer. I didn't know what to do until my cousin recommended salvagedata.com. It is a company that helped me restore data that I lost on my computer. If you are interested, find more on the internet.

5 hours ago, ErinHenry552 said:

If you face data loss on your computer, you shouldn't panic. Many companies on the internet can help you restore everything you lost from your computer. Some weeks ago, I installed a file from an unsecured source that contained a virus, and as a result, I lost everything I had on my computer. I didn't know what to do until my cousin recommended salvagedata.com. It is a company that helped me restore data that I lost on my computer. If you are interested, find more on the internet.

You can also just pop that hard drive in an enclosure and scan it from another computer. It’s safer with less risk of data loss. Downloading, using or otherwise doing anything will result in further data loss if used as the main boot drive. As a slave drive it has a lower probability. 

most computers now use a SSD as a boot drive which in most cases of failure is entirely unrecoverable. 

easeUS has several programs out there which is a well known company. It’s also insanely smart to use a free version of macrium to have a scheduled image of your drive made weekly. It’s free and you’d never have to worry about it. Especially if you back it up to something like OneDrive. 

but- I don’t understand the association to this post. 

the most illogical part is that windows 10 has become such a pain that it is nearly impossible to download a virus, I have tried intentionally. Worse case scenario chrome becomes unstable or through some other unsecured application. Apple is very secure and it’s rare to occur with them. 

i find this post very spammy. 

Edited by johnson4