White ink problem

My colour is printing on the film great but the white is not blocking the colour.  I have printed solid white sheets and they seem ok but when printing on colour it is showing through.  I have tried all different percentages of colour and ink.   I am using acrorip 10 on a P600.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

53 minutes ago, Stevemc said:

My colour is printing on the film great but the white is not blocking the colour.  I have printed solid white sheets and they seem ok but when printing on colour it is showing through.  I have tried all different percentages of colour and ink.   I am using acrorip 10 on a P600.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Do you have a photo of the issue? Sometimes on my color prints, the white underbase changes colors to the ink under it just a bit. Never affected anything. I'd probably say its too much CMYK and it's mixing a bit, But if it prints fine and works I wouldn't really worry about it. People REALLY put down the ink, especially the white ink. at one point I saw people bragging on about how thick there transfer was, thicker being better. I always go for the least amount of ink for the best hand feel, and the white under base changing to the color under it a bit during curing, is right at that point. However, On the flip side, if it has a "bubble" look, it's probably too much white ink.  A photo would help :)

When printing CMYK+W, I always use less white ink compared to white only prints. 

It looks to me like

1. Your ink percentages are wrong

2. you are using a content based underbase. The first photo shows more ink under lighter colors. If this is the case, adjust the setting so it puts down more ink on darker colors, and lower your white ink percentages until the lighter colors have the right amount of ink at that setting. I generally use -33 on EKprint. I also use mixed sometimes, it works well too. 

if you want a solid white underbase like everyone normally does, just select transparency for the underbase or 100% white under colored pixel instead of gradient. 

all of this is assuming you shake your inks and purge the settled white ink out before printing. 

Edited by johnson4

22 minutes ago, Stevemc said:

Using Acrorip 10. I have been adjusting the settings.  The first one is 40 colour 60 white.  

In my opinion it's your settings, looks like what I said above about your under base settings, mixed with ink settling. the P600 needs like 4 solid head cleans to purge out the settled white ink with the stock ink bay if it has say for more than 24 hours without printing a decent amount of white ( at least 5 transfers). I dealt with 4 of these p600 printers for 3 years and white ink in the p600 stock system isn't your friend if you are not printing daily. 

Edited by johnson4

21 minutes ago, Stevemc said:

I figured that might be the case.   Do you think I need to tear apart the head to remove the separated ink or just run a few all white sheets?

Usually I did just do an ink charge, or 3-4 head cleanings. Printing white sheets seem to cause clogging every now and again for me when I’m trying to purge the white. You also can run into clogged nozzles, which can’t cool if it’s clogged, running extensive usage on a clogged nozzle can make it permanent. I replaced a printhead in 6 months doing this method.  Doing the head cleaning method always worked without issue, and never noticed a degradation of the printhead, but it does put extra wear on the capping station and wasted ink. 

You could always try printing them, and if that doesn’t work to your liking do the head clean method. 

good luck! 

Edited by johnson4