Anyone with electrical knowledge have any idea how to repair a part of the mini shaker?

The "dusting" mechanism (the brush rolling part) suddenly stopped working yesterday. I think it was my fault...I may have put too much powder in there and it got stuck while it was rotating. It was weak to begin with when I first got the machine...I couldn't use low speeds if I had half of it filled with powder so I'm not sure if it was bad to begin with.

I'd appreciate anyone that can help me figure this out. At least where to start...I have 0 knowledge of electrical repairs.

2 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

The "dusting" mechanism (the brush rolling part) suddenly stopped working yesterday. I think it was my fault...I may have put too much powder in there and it got stuck while it was rotating. It was weak to begin with when I first got the machine...I couldn't use low speeds if I had half of it filled with powder so I'm not sure if it was bad to begin with.

I'd appreciate anyone that can help me figure this out. At least where to start...I have 0 knowledge of electrical repairs.

Are you talking about the Powder drum in the mini shaker? Mine too, I replaced mine with a higher RPM motor. I put a box on mine and fill at least 10X the amount of powder it was designed for, and it never actually failed, it just was poor quality to begin with and would " struggle" half of the turning radius for some reason or another like it was binding when empty. 

remove all the powder, and on the underside there should be several screws ( maybe 4) where the film goes into the shaker, those take it off. Then proceed to disassemble the small powder box on top until you can get to the motor, which for me, was all the way. I think on the underside there was a few more bolts but it all took maybe an hour from start to finish not knowing what I was doing. The stock motor is a 3RPM 12V motor. 

This is the same motor that's in there: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XCX778/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

its the 12V 3 RPM version stock on the mini shaker, But I put in a 12V 5 RPM version for a larger range of speeds, and a bit faster when needed. Works great and has been. The original was replaced almost immediately before it had a chance to fail. 

You'll also notice, they used clear packaging tape to cover up 90 percent of the holes where the powder comes from. DONT peel that off, you can open up a few more holes if you need more powder, I did and all has been well. I also "sift" my powder before filling, so no clumps clog the holes.

Edited by johnson4

IF you ARE using a mini shaker, I would HIGHLY recommend picking up some GENUINE OMRON relays to replace what came with the machine.  One of mine failed ( for the take up roller) and was grounding to the frame for months causing intermittent issues. The one for the heating elements was all scorches and causing the heating elements to have poor connection/power. 

Ever since Ive used the OMRON relays, it heats up faster and better, and even after the couple months of using them both show no signs of wear whatsoever. Forget ebay/amazon, you'll need to look on an electronics website to find genuine ones, Like Mouser.com etc. 

It's a pretty simple repair though, It's the 12V rail, so no worries. Obvisouly make sure it's powered off/unplugged. If you need some photos or something I can try to do that. You literally just disassemble only the top box, and cut and resolder the two power wires. Doesn't even matter if you hook them up backwards, as long as you solder them good and reassemble it the same way you took it apart, you'll be fine. 

Edited by johnson4

15 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Are you talking about the Powder drum in the mini shaker? Mine too, I replaced mine with a higher RPM motor. I put a box on mine and fill at least 10X the amount of powder it was designed for, and it never actually failed, it just was poor quality to begin with and would " struggle" half of the turning radius for some reason or another like it was binding when empty. 

remove all the powder, and on the underside there should be several screws ( maybe 4) where the film goes into the shaker, those take it off. Then proceed to disassemble the small powder box on top until you can get to the motor, which for me, was all the way. I think on the underside there was a few more bolts but it all took maybe an hour from start to finish not knowing what I was doing. The stock motor is a 3RPM 12V motor. 

This is the same motor that's in there: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XCX778/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

its the 12V 3 RPM version stock on the mini shaker, But I put in a 12V 5 RPM version for a larger range of speeds, and a bit faster when needed. Works great and has been. The original was replaced almost immediately before it had a chance to fail. 

You'll also notice, they used clear packaging tape to cover up 90 percent of the holes where the powder comes from. DONT peel that off, you can open up a few more holes if you need more powder, I did and all has been well. I also "sift" my powder before filling, so no clumps clog the holes.

Wow you know everything lol

With that 12V 5RPM one, would I be able to use very slow speeds without the brush getting stuck? With the stock one that came, if I put any decent amount of powder, I couldn't set the speed lower than 50% or else the brush roller would stop.

Just use higher RPM 10 if necessary. More is good, and i don't think any significant amount diffirence there will be. 

Most likely when you want it to go slower, it just lowers DC output. So RPM also gets low. If you can go %50 with 3 RPM motor, with same conditions you can go to %30 with 5 RPM. If you want to put more powder and go lower speeds at same time then go 10 or 20 RPM.

28 minutes ago, anum11 said:

Just use higher RPM 10 if necessary. More is good, and i don't think any significant amount diffirence there will be. 

Most likely when you want it to go slower, it just lowers DC output. So RPM also gets low. If you can go %50 with 3 RPM motor, with same conditions you can go to %30 with 5 RPM. If you want to put more powder and go lower speeds at same time then go 10 or 20 RPM.

Got it! I went ahead and ordered the 10RPM one. I appreciate both of your help. Let’s see if I can actually put it together now. 

Wow you know everything lol

With that 12V 5RPM one, would I be able to use very slow speeds without the brush getting stuck? With the stock one that came, if I put any decent amount of powder, I couldn't set the speed lower than 50% or else the brush roller would stop.

Since it’s a 12V motor, going down in the 6V and less range will cut it off, using a higher RPM motor will cause it to cut out sooner. If you use a volt meter and check it, they lose torque at those lower voltages. Using too high of a motor rpm causes too much powder and the inability to lower it close to oem speeds. I like my U filled with powder, so 5 rpm turned halfway works for me. Anything 1/4 or less doesn’t work. 

I wish I did know everything, lol. No, I just like doing this stuff and have already experienced a lot of these similar things, in this scenario, exactly the same thing. 

44 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Got it! I went ahead and ordered the 10RPM one. I appreciate both of your help. Let’s see if I can actually put it together now. 

Let us know how the 4X in increased speed does, I hope the lower rpm range still works for you, I never tested it but in theory it will struggle to go slow. 

For a reference- this is how much powder I put in mine, fill that all the way up and run it at half speed, turns about 4RPM a minute and works out great. Still, anything less than or around 1/4 speed ( the knob lowers the voltage) it will stop even with hardly any powder in there. Gets about 30-45 minutes of powdering without refilling. 

I also made my own powder box for my DIY shaker, completely technology free and runs the machine for an hour without even looking at it. I’ve been thinking of using one on this Chinese shaker, I hate how the holes clog up sometimes. 

AEE98187-D217-4995-A509-772850009F4C.jpeg

Edited by johnson4

1 hour ago, anum11 said:

They are mostly  based on the same 3500RPM motor with a gearbox, with the same amperage draw. so the higher the rpm the weaker it is especially at lower voltages creating a stall sooner since it’s more stress directed at the motor, which doesn’t have much power to begin with, it just works well because it’s geared so low it has enough torque at higher voltages. Lowering the voltage to get it to run half as fast, will cut the torque as well and cause a stall while trying to maintain 3-4 rpms. Too fast turning, and the powder stops coming out because the holes aren’t open long enough. 

Edited by johnson4

Alright guys I did it....it was a HUGE headache because of how tight the space is around the brush roller. I'm not sure if there was a way to completely take it out, screw everything back in and then put it in. I didn't seem like it. But it looks like it's working.

I ended up getting the 5RPM one (although I'm pretty sure it does way more than 5RPM) because it was going to arrive sooner. I'll be testing it tomorrow and see how it goes.

50 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Alright guys I did it....it was a HUGE headache because of how tight the space is around the brush roller. I'm not sure if there was a way to completely take it out, screw everything back in and then put it in. I didn't seem like it. But it looks like it's working.

I ended up getting the 5RPM one (although I'm pretty sure it does way more than 5RPM) because it was going to arrive sooner. I'll be testing it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Awesome! Yea you can take it all the way out, but it’s a pain. 

yea, I as well think it goes faster than 5rpm. Hopefully it goes well.

21 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Awesome! Yea you can take it all the way out, but it’s a pain. 

yea, I as well think it goes faster than 5rpm. Hopefully it goes well.

Bad news. That part stopped working after 3 hours of use today. I have no idea what’s going on. Any ideas what could be causing this and if I need to replace something else? Sorry to bug you about this. I depend heavily on this machine and this has set me back severely. 

24 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Bad news. That part stopped working after 3 hours of use today. I have no idea what’s going on. Any ideas what could be causing this and if I need to replace something else? Sorry to bug you about this. I depend heavily on this machine and this has set me back severely. 

I turned off the powder to the "duster" and turned it back on about 30 minutes later. It began working but very slowly but then it slowed down to a stop after about 10 seconds. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the motor I bought itself or if it's something to do with the switch that turns it on. The stock one acted the same exact way so I'm thinking something is causing the motor to go bad.

Edited by Mdrake2016

29 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

There might be problem of that small motor , attach photos of the motor location where it gets fitted i will suggest you another motor according to available space

6 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I turned off the powder to the "duster" and turned it back on about 30 minutes later. It began working but very slowly but then it slowed down to a stop after about 10 seconds. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the motor I bought itself or if it's something to do with the switch that turns it on. The stock one acted the same exact way so I'm thinking something is causing the motor to go bad.

The way it works: 

there is a 12V power rail that goes to the motor speed controller. When you turn the knob all the way up, it’s 12v, all the way down, 0V. If there is an issue with the speed controller or power supply, it could cause this. Failing speed controllers can do this, as well as a few other wiring issues- even the power supply. 

The motor could have simply been defective. The one I received worked fine. Any 12V motor with that bolt pattern will work, given you can find  the correct RPM. 

a good way ( if you can) would be to test the motor itself. You need 12V DC, a 9V battery would work as well. If your a little more advanced with it and use a voltage meter, you can check the motor while installed and check the voltage when the unit acts up, this would pinpoint if it’s the electric supply to the motor somewhere, or the motor itself.

its not a bother at all, really. I reply in my free time and I have the same unit, so I’m hoping we can find your problem. Down time does suck.

Edited by johnson4

6 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

This sounds electrical, possibly the speed controller. It would be hard to tell though, failing motors( bearings) can do that too. 

This is the “slapper” motor, which is also 12V. To rule out the controller, you could simply swap the motor wires on both controllers, so the duster is in the shaker position, and vise versa. If it still does it, and the shaker shows no signs of issues, it’s definitely the motor bad or loose connection. 

A2D0589A-BA3B-41C6-ADA3-2845EFBACC13.jpeg

Edited by johnson4