johnson4 Posted August 8, 2021 Share Posted August 8, 2021 (edited) I’ve had my mini shaker for around 7 months, and while it has worked really well- I have ran into a few issues. This isn’t limited to the ones Andy sell, but rather all of them of similar design ( which is basically all of them). I am not knocking them in anyway, im sure they will work for many people as-is. But these are my experiences: 1. my take up motor quit working well, it would work on and off. Turns out a relay wire had melted in two, and was no longer providing ground, so the unit was grounding to the case to function at the power port for the take up motor, which definitely isn’t ideal- meaning the unit continued to function with a bad ground, running current through the ground designed to protect me. 2. The other relay ( heater relay) had severe scorch marks all over the inside, with carbon built up on the contacts. Meaning, the more carbon, the more resistance, more heat and arching- making it worse and worse. Eventually it would have melted and potentially caused other sever issues, especially if not completely watched over while on. 3. After severe use, I have noticed a major issue, at least if you are not aware. DTF ink in general, as it evaporates and “ cures” the ink, once that evaporated “water” cools, it turns into a oily goo. I have a 6” fan on my units sucking the fumes out. Over time, and build up of this, it condensates on the heater unit “lid” and drips down, on the inside where you can’t see. As it builds up, it runs down the sides of the unit( down inside the front electrical panel too), and even drips into the powder portion, ruining the powder it touches. If you don’t remove the ruined powder, and recirculate it back into the hopper like this, it clogs the powder holes, and ruins more powder and creates a large mess. It does have a “ drip tray” at the back half of the unit, but it is just designed to drip into the powder hole. When I removed the hoses going to the fan, I found another big surprise. About half a liter to a liter of this oily goo, dumped out all over the ground. So basically, in my view of things, whatever it is, isn’t water, ( if there is water, that may just evaporate away, this isn’t water though). So the units need cleaned regularly. I ran this unit for 3 months, maybe 6-8 liters of ink in total and it was pretty bad. 4. the power wire inside the unit, as it runs into the metal portion, there isn’t a rubber grommet. The coating on the power wires is very soft, so while I was cleaning the unit I also found a 120V leg of the wire coating half cut into from the sharp “circle” edge. Mind you, the unit was also grounding to itself because of the bad relay- so this would have been bad, for me too if I was touching it and it cut all the way through the wire, possibly damaging some of the circuitry and expensive power supply. all in all, they work well. But I STRONGLY recommend doing the following: 1.replace and toss the old clone relays. These are Chinese clones included with the units, which are poorly made and dangerous in my opinion. You can buy a name brand quality Omron branded relay for about $10 each, which will last a LONG time in comparison, and more than likely won’t start a fire. Forget about buying them on eBay and Amazon, most if not all of them are fakes, clones, etc. there are a ton of videos on these clone relays and they are dangerous. Some people bench testing them under the rated current experienced melting, smoking, and fire. Testing the quality “ original” showed the real difference, since they worked as they should. To me, this is VERY important, since the relays are very important and control the heater unit. 2. clean the unit regularly, watch for the oily drippings and clean it up accordingly. Clean the exhaust hose/fan at least once a month depending on usage. 3. Add a grommet to the power (220v) wire inlet on the underside of the unit. It should be there anyway, and will prevent the “shaking” from rubbing the wire until it shorts out. May just have been missing on mine, it’s worth a look. 4. Never leave it unattended while on for precaution. they are great units and do suffer from a few downfalls, but it’s easily remediated and offers a great introduction into DTF. I made several thousand transfers before these issues occurred, bringing me at least $30,000 in gross sales, on a $1700 unit. Spend another $30 or so and have a regular cleaning schedule and you won’t have the issues I mentioned above and it should work for a very long time. If you aren’t comfortable with replacing relays and doing a few things here and there, I wouldn’t recommend any of these ( large ones included) to you. Sticking to the basic sheet print and oven cure method would be best. overall, just pointing out the things to be aware of, at the very least replace the relays with some quality name brand relays- they are snap in and easy to change. Edited August 8, 2021 by johnson4 2 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.