A wet capping annoyance I can't figure out with the P400

1 hour ago, Mdrake2016 said:

So I pushed the printhead fine after hitting the ink change button. Surprised no one ever says to do it this way. 

The thing is, the printer is STILL sometimes doing a quick ink charge or cleaning when I hit the button to send the printhead back to park. I cannot figure out what is triggering it to sometimes do this and sometimes not. 

Yea, mine does that sometimes too, however it only does it randomly, possibly right after I boot it up. I just push the ink button again, reload the cap and press the ink button again when it does that. 

I know when I use it normally it doesn’t do it, like printing and at the end of the day it never does it. I never power cycle mine though, might make a difference. Still, in my opinion beats the method of unplugging it, but that’s my opinion. 

ive been doing them this way for as long as I can remember, the p600, I used the turn screw in the right side and melted the “plastic” turn slot with a hot “fat” Phillips when it stripped out, never had a problem after that. For the P800, I used the adjustment program, just left it open and press F11/F12 to move the head out of the way. I was never a fan of constant unplugging them( plus on the p400 I leave the roll film loaded for ease), to top that off you still have to turn it back on for the capping station to reseat to the head, or else your letting your head air dry if you don’t so all it was really good for to Me was cleaning the wiper anyway. 

Edited by johnson4

On 8/9/2021 at 6:06 PM, johnson4 said:

Yea, mine does that sometimes too, however it only does it randomly, possibly right after I boot it up. I just push the ink button again, reload the cap and press the ink button again when it does that. 

I know when I use it normally it doesn’t do it, like printing and at the end of the day it never does it. I never power cycle mine though, might make a difference. Still, in my opinion beats the method of unplugging it, but that’s my opinion. 

ive been doing them this way for as long as I can remember, the p600, I used the turn screw in the right side and melted the “plastic” turn slot with a hot “fat” Phillips when it stripped out, never had a problem after that. For the P800, I used the adjustment program, just left it open and press F11/F12 to move the head out of the way. I was never a fan of constant unplugging them( plus on the p400 I leave the roll film loaded for ease), to top that off you still have to turn it back on for the capping station to reseat to the head, or else your letting your head air dry if you don’t so all it was really good for to Me was cleaning the wiper anyway. 

I'm thinking there is some timer in the printer causing it to do an ink charge (or cleaning..whatever it's doing) if I take too long cleaning. Cleaning the wiper takes me a bit of time. So what I did the past few days was clean the wiper, hit the ink button to send it back. Then hit the ink button again and then clean the capping station. So far, doing it this way hasn't done an ink charge

24 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I'm thinking there is some timer in the printer causing it to do an ink charge (or cleaning..whatever it's doing) if I take too long cleaning. Cleaning the wiper takes me a bit of time. So what I did the past few days was clean the wiper, hit the ink button to send it back. Then hit the ink button again and then clean the capping station. So far, doing it this way hasn't done an ink charge

Nice, glad you were able to sort it out to your liking. 

overall, how do you like doing it that way instead of unplugging it?

On 8/16/2021 at 6:55 PM, johnson4 said:

Nice, glad you were able to sort it out to your liking. 

overall, how do you like doing it that way instead of unplugging it?

Way better for sure. I honestly think nobody knows about this...why else would anyone do the unplug method if it can be done this way?

3 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Way better for sure. I honestly think nobody knows about this...why else would anyone do the unplug method if it can be done this way?

I’m glad it helps, I’ve done it this way for years on all of them, I don’t remember where I came up with it from, but I’m glad unplugging it isn’t the only option, I wouldn’t be a happy camper. The p600/p800 is a bit different since they don’t take cartridges on the head, but it’s still some variation of that. 

by the way I’ve got the continuous ink system ( with circulation and ink mixing) mostly setup on the P400, still really glad I chose the p400 over the other machines.

Now I just need to find EKprint for this R2400….