A wet capping annoyance I can't figure out with the P400

So I do the basic turn on the printer, let the printhead move and then unplug it to freely move the printhead. I then clean the wiper blade, capping station and fill it up with the solution. Park the head back to the capping station and then turn the printer back on. Randomly, the printer sometimes does a cleaning when I turn it back on. Yesterday it happened 3 times before it finally just turned on and parked itself the fourth time. Does anyone have a way to prevent this from happening? Every time it does this I have to go through the whole process again.

Also while on the subject of wet capping. I just have a couple of other questions.

1. I've seen some videos where people soak the sponges and spend a few minutes trying to get as much of the ink out as possible, and some videos where they just remove a little bit before parking the printhead. It's pretty difficult to remove much. Does it matter if I'm unable to remove most of the ink?

2. When the printhead moves away from the capping station the next day, it doesn't really look like the liquid on the capping station was actually touching it. I may be misunderstanding how it all works...does the printhead actually touch the liquid? 

1 hour ago, anum11 said:

Pull USB lose. Then power off printer and on again.Then do your thing. However wet capping p400 May drain your inks be careful.

That's what I do...but when I power on, it sometimes does a cleaning automatically so my fluid on the capping station gets sucked in. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to prevent.

I did come here a few times and all my ink was drained...but that hasn't happened in a few weeks. So I shouldn't be wet capping a P400? How do we know which printers we should or shouldn't wet cap?

48 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

That's what I do...but when I power on, it sometimes does a cleaning automatically so my fluid on the capping station gets sucked in. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to prevent.

I did come here a few times and all my ink was drained...but that hasn't happened in a few weeks. So I shouldn't be wet capping a P400? How do we know which printers we should or shouldn't wet cap?

Printers with ink cartridges on the head shouldn’t be wet capped, at least filling the capping station. You can however put some in there, enough to wet the sponge. If you want to fully wet cap the p400, get a tube lock, whatever they are called. It pinched the waste ink tube so it doesn’t siphon the ink. I don’t have this problem because my waste tank is about the same height as my capping station. 

Edited by johnson4

2 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

So I do the basic turn on the printer, let the printhead move and then unplug it to freely move the printhead. I then clean the wiper blade, capping station and fill it up with the solution. Park the head back to the capping station and then turn the printer back on. Randomly, the printer sometimes does a cleaning when I turn it back on. Yesterday it happened 3 times before it finally just turned on and parked itself the fourth time. Does anyone have a way to prevent this from happening? Every time it does this I have to go through the whole process again.

Also while on the subject of wet capping. I just have a couple of other questions.

1. I've seen some videos where people soak the sponges and spend a few minutes trying to get as much of the ink out as possible, and some videos where they just remove a little bit before parking the printhead. It's pretty difficult to remove much. Does it matter if I'm unable to remove most of the ink?

2. When the printhead moves away from the capping station the next day, it doesn't really look like the liquid on the capping station was actually touching it. I may be misunderstanding how it all works...does the printhead actually touch the liquid? 

It’s weird, but I just hit the ink change button, move the head over more, clean the capping station and the wiper, ( you can very easily flip it up and down manually). Once done, wet cap and press the ink button again. I never turn mine off, so I’m not sure in the multiple cleaning cycles at boot up. However, to me, unplugging the printer and all that is unnecessary to me. 

Edited by johnson4

6 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Printers with ink cartridges on the head shouldn’t be wet capped, at least filling the capping station. You can however put some in there, enough to wet the sponge. If you want to fully wet cap the p400, get a tube lock, whatever they are called. It pinched the waste ink tube so it doesn’t siphon the ink. I don’t have this problem because my waste tank is about the same height as my capping station. 

Isn’t the point of wet capping to keep the printhead wet? Won’t it dry out with the DTF inks if we don’t wet cap?

11 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Isn’t the point of wet capping to keep the printhead wet? Won’t it dry out with the DTF inks if we don’t wet cap?

It is, but isn’t required. The whole point is to keep it from drying out. usually you want to add fluid to remove all the air when it caps, but usually that doesn’t happen. 

Having a small pool at the bottom of the cap with cleaner always worked for my in those situations where the printer siphons, since it still keeps it from drying out by making the small space “humid”. 

I don’t always wet cap, only for extended down time, DTG I went two years without wet capping, but that ink seriously dried out so it helped a bunch when sitting more than 24 hours.

right now I have 2 printers not wet capped at all and have been sitting for over a week, and one DTG printer going on 2 months.  I know they’ll be fine, because the area is humid where they are. It’s all about keeping the humidity where the ink is up, and keeping a clean/good seal. Be it the capping station, the location of the printers, etc.  different areas will have different outcomes. Like out in Arizona, I’d always wet cap. 

Do you want me to send a video on how I clean my p400? I seriously think it would be a ton easier than unplugging it and all that stuff you mentioned above.  

Edited by johnson4

1 hour ago, johnson4 said:

Do you want me to send a video on how I clean my p400? I seriously think it would be a ton easier than unplugging it and all that stuff you mentioned above.  

Man that would be a ton of help if you can send me a video. There’s videos for so many printers but can’t find any useful ones for the P400. 

It’s funny you mentioned Arizona. I actually plan to move out there in the next year or 2. So living in a dry area like that, would wet capping be needed for the P400?

2 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Man that would be a ton of help if you can send me a video. There’s videos for so many printers but can’t find any useful ones for the P400. 

It’s funny you mentioned Arizona. I actually plan to move out there in the next year or 2. So living in a dry area like that, would wet capping be needed for the P400?

Absolutely, dry humid air is going to dry it out faster. I have an AC going, but it’s also very humid here so it’s usually over 50 percent humidity  all the time. 

I’m basically holding the phone to my face, so ignore me breathing and the kids screaming :) 

the stuff on the side of the wiper isn’t something i worry about, so when the wiper is down it does look bad and could be cleaned, but it doesn’t matter, it has nothing to do with the head or how clean it wipes the head. I usually clean that stuff off once a week or two, mainly to prevent large buildup. If it’s built up on the wiper or cap, that’s the important part. 

but, This works on the p400/p600. With two hands im better and quicker at it. 

Edited by johnson4

7 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

I’m basically holding the phone to my face, so ignore me breathing and the kids screaming :) 

the stuff on the side of the wiper isn’t something i worry about, so when the wiper is down it does look bad and could be cleaned, but it doesn’t matter, it has nothing to do with the head or how clean it wipes the head. I usually clean that stuff off once a week or two, mainly to prevent large buildup. If it’s built up on the wiper or cap, that’s the important part. 

but, This works on the p400/p600. With two hands im better and quicker at it. 

FullSizeRender.mov 52.41 MB · 0 downloads

Hi.. This is good information for me as well.. I am on the same platform (P400)... I cant access the video unfortunately because its says "Unable to locate content for me"...

any suggestions .... 

Edited by chaudhryis

This one is going to be converted to use dampers, a white ink circulating system, and a white ink mixing system on a timer. 

im going to use 500ML bulk containers for the ink, I may run both machines off the same tanks, but that’s neither here or there. 

2 minutes ago, chaudhryis said:

Hi.. This is good information for me as well.. I am on the same platform (P400)... I cant access the video unfortunately because its says "Unable to locate content for me"...

any suggestions .... 

the site was acting weird, it might work now. If not I can upload it elsewhere.

2 hours ago, johnson4 said:

the site was acting weird, it might work now. If not I can upload it elsewhere.

Ok the video loaded now. So it looks like I may be unnecessarily overdoing the cleaning. I literally clean the wiper for a couple minutes alone and then dry it off lol. 

How do you just move the printhead to the side like that without unplugging the power cord? I tried that earlier and I feel like I’ll break something if I try pushing it over with the printer still on. 

Also I noticed that when you filled your capping station, you had very little ink mix with your cleaner. Night and day difference with how mine looks. How is that possible? Mine is filled with my DTF ink when I do that, even if I spend a few minutes cleaning the sponges off with paper towel.

1 hour ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Ok the video loaded now. So it looks like I may be unnecessarily overdoing the cleaning. I literally clean the wiper for a couple minutes alone and then dry it off lol. 

How do you just move the printhead to the side like that without unplugging the power cord? I tried that earlier and I feel like I’ll break something if I try pushing it over with the printer still on.

after you push the ink button and it’s done ( in the ink change position) just push it over. It has resistance due to the motor “ holding” so you can “ change the ink” without it moving. It won’t hurt it.  

Also I noticed that when you filled your capping station, you had very little ink mix with your cleaner. Night and day difference with how mine looks. How is that possible? Mine is filled with my DTF ink when I do that, even if I spend a few minutes cleaning the sponges off with paper towel.

there shouldn’t be any ink in the capping station unless something is wrong. The foam sponges, sure, but no visible Liquid should be in there after use/head clean. 

1 hour ago, johnson4 said:

Extra cleaning only helps, that’s how I do mine generally, for the past several years. My cleaner is pretty good though, it melts away the dried ink so I don’t scrub all that much. Some cleaners feel “ sticky” or take scrubbing, so it just depends. I also replace the capping station every 6 months or so for preventative maintenance.

as for the ink, I’m not really sure. It’s always been like that on mine. The ink order might affect that, my right side is white ink only, left is Cmyk. 

overall though:

1.ink change button

2.push head over

3. flip up wiper

4.do your cleaning routine

5. flip back, move the head back- wet cap if your going to

6. push ink button

7.done. 

no power cycling necessary. I leave this machine on 24/7. 

Edited by johnson4

2 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Oh no let me clarify about the ink in the capping station. What I meant was when I inject cleaner in there, a bunch of old dtf ink from the sponge comes up and mixes with the cleaner. So the pool looks very contaminated with ink. Looking at yours, your pool looks very clean compared to mine after you inject the cleaner. 

As for the way you’re moving the head to the left, you did it so easy with just your thumb. I’m going to try again tomorrow. I may have just been scared to force it when I tried earlier. 

3 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Oh no let me clarify about the ink in the capping station. What I meant was when I inject cleaner in there, a bunch of old dtf ink from the sponge comes up and mixes with the cleaner. So the pool looks very contaminated with ink. Looking at yours, your pool looks very clean compared to mine after you inject the cleaner. 

As for the way you’re moving the head to the left, you did it so easy with just your thumb. I’m going to try again tomorrow. I may have just been scared to force it when I tried earlier. 

I gotcha, sometimes what I do, when I do a head clean I keep a syringe filled with water nearby, as it moves the head to the left and sucks the ink out, I squirt water in the cap, moving it around ( the needle) to flush out the old ink. I had done that the last time it was used, so probably why it’s cleaner. This one has been sitting a bit so I don’t remember.

yea, don’t worry about it, it has a bit of resistance at first, but once it’s moving it’s fine. It’s just the DC motor holding the head from moving- doesn’t hurt anything as long as you don’t quickly force it, just push it over in a smooth semi slow motion.

the wiper, just out your swap down there and press against it and pull up, should pop up pretty easily. 

Edited by johnson4

20 minutes ago, anum11 said:

I dont think white circulations system is usefull. Just a ink tank with mixer is enough along with automatic head cleaning cycles.

I seen a dtg digital M2 white circulation system pressurized and broke the head 2 times in a year.

This ones been working fine, it pumps and pulls the same pressure on both sides, so the head doesn’t see any pressure difference. Also has Kind of like an OEM damper. Mixed with the paddle, it’s been very self sufficient. I checked everything by using dyed liquid, to make sure no unequal pressure made it to the damper. Didn’t suck or pull, so I assume it’s equalized. 

i have it running 30 seconds every 30 minutes, enough to fully flush the lines, and runs the paddle those 30 seconds as well. It’s been fine so far anyway. 

sounds like the person probably had a dirty of clogged white ink filter causing unequalized pressures on the M2.

the problem for me for just flushing settled ink through the printhead, your pushing sludge through the nozzles. Fill a syringe full of white ink, lay it on its side and let it sit for a week. Then gently turn it upright and push the white pigment out, that is just asking for clogged nozzles, in my opinion. Instead of it being “balanced” and diluted, so the carrier prevents it from being sludge, it’s just goop. 

Edited by johnson4

On 8/7/2021 at 9:06 PM, johnson4 said:

I gotcha, sometimes what I do, when I do a head clean I keep a syringe filled with water nearby, as it moves the head to the left and sucks the ink out, I squirt water in the cap, moving it around ( the needle) to flush out the old ink. I had done that the last time it was used, so probably why it’s cleaner. This one has been sitting a bit so I don’t remember.

yea, don’t worry about it, it has a bit of resistance at first, but once it’s moving it’s fine. It’s just the DC motor holding the head from moving- doesn’t hurt anything as long as you don’t quickly force it, just push it over in a smooth semi slow motion.

the wiper, just out your swap down there and press against it and pull up, should pop up pretty easily. 

So I pushed the printhead fine after hitting the ink change button. Surprised no one ever says to do it this way. 

The thing is, the printer is STILL sometimes doing a quick ink charge or cleaning when I hit the button to send the printhead back to park. I cannot figure out what is triggering it to sometimes do this and sometimes not.