Epson SC P800 Nozzle check with roll media

41 minutes ago, BIG3 said:

Is there a way to do a nozzle check on an epson p-800 when you have roll media loaded. Do I need a utility program?  If so any recommendations? 

I’m pretty sure you can do a nozzle check with it loaded, it is native to the printer. 

have you tried doing a nozzle check from the main menu with a roll loaded? I don’t see why it wouldn’t work .

Yes tried that.  It wants me to load an A4 sheet in the sheet feeder.  If I hit proceed with roll film loaded it wants to eject the roll film. ughhh!  If loading film was not such a pain I would just deal with it.  Once it is in and going no problem but getting it straight is sometimes a headache.  I could not find a roll adapter for p800 so I had to rig one up from an old 4800 roll adapter.  There must be a program out there that the DTG guys are using right?  or do they not do nozzle checks? LOL!

I have a printer adjustment utility program for the p600 that will let me do a nozzle check on that printer with roll film loaded but it feeds a ton of film even when I have the sheet size set to 12.95 x 6 inches.  I got the program on this forum in the downloads section but did not see one for p800.

10 minutes ago, BIG3 said:

Yes tried that.  It wants me to load an A4 sheet in the sheet feeder.  If I hit proceed with roll film loaded it wants to eject the roll film. ughhh!  If loading film was not such a pain I would just deal with it.  Once it is in and going no problem but getting it straight is sometimes a headache.  I could not find a roll adapter for p800 so I had to rig one up from an old 4800 roll adapter.  There must be a program out there that the DTG guys are using right?  or do they not do nozzle checks? LOL!

I have a printer adjustment utility program for the p600 that will let me do a nozzle check on that printer with roll film loaded but it feeds a ton of film even when I have the sheet size set to 12.95 x 6 inches.  I got the program on this forum in the downloads section but did not see one for p800.

The one for the P800 must be purchased, other members shared the hacked versions for other printers, back in the day I had to buy them all. 
I shared a couple I found, but not for the p800. I think it’s only $10 though. 

For DTG you don’t have this issue, only DTF.  

For me, I use EKprint and p400s. I just do a nozzle check from the ek program and it prints it like a design, so it uses a small Portion of film. I do have a p800 setup, but never did roll print with it and nozzle check at the same time. 

I think most people are in the same boat with the film holder, I 3D printed 2 printer brackets, used a 8mm rod and printed 3” roll adapters. I like this because I can “ move” film on the rod and it doesn’t move side to side, making it easy to load and keep straight. 

Edited by johnson4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, davekk said:

Can the original Roll Media Adapter be used with PET rolls or does one need a custom solution for that?

I made my own, they are hard to find and expensive when you do. I’m not sure if the film fits it, I know it accepts 3” rolls so maybe, just look up the max roll thickness and measure your film if someone doesn’t know for sure.

Edited by johnson4