Can't figure out why I keep getting clogs every few prints

5 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Yea it’s not looking like an ink issue. It happened the same way with the new inks as well. 

Can you tell me about the xp600 adapter? What is the purpose of that. I tried looking it up but can’t find much info. Is it so that I can use xp600 cartridges in the xp15000? I thought they’re pretty much the same foam design so I’m wondering how this would help. 

I was talking about making my own adapter, like the xp600. They have different manifolds for them, so you can use “nipple” cartridges/dampers instead of the screen. The xp600 for example does have that available for it. It’s also a 6 color, so it may fit. I was just going to make one out of resin and see how it worked, given the amount of people dealing with the issue and being the main drawback of the 15000.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

I was talking about making my own adapter, like the xp600. They have different manifolds for them, so you can use “nipple” cartridges/dampers instead of the screen. The xp600 for example does have that available for it. It’s also a 6 color, so it may fit. I was just going to make one out of resin and see how it worked, given the amount of people dealing with the issue and being the main drawback of the 15000.

Like this.

personally I ordered one as well, I haven’t taken my head apart but might as well try when it gets here. 

233C868A-B1CA-4032-AC03-3C78400F9733.jpeg

On 7/14/2021 at 3:38 PM, johnson4 said:

I just want to point out, I didn’t have this issue with my 15000, using DTFsuperstore inks. 

I think I give up on the XP-15000. I have a new one I haven’t opened but I think I might just keep it as a backup. 

I’ve been looking into one of the stylus pro printers but cant decide which one to go with. Is there one you recommend? I like the idea of having the large carts on the 800 but I don’t know if that’s really a good thing with DTF, especially since the design is sort of like using a CISS system. 

Business is slow at the moment so I’ll probably have 10-15 A3 prints a day for now but I expect that to increase in a few months. 

I appreciate all your help as usual. 

53 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I think I give up on the XP-15000. I have a new one I haven’t opened but I think I might just keep it as a backup. 

I’ve been looking into one of the stylus pro printers but cant decide which one to go with. Is there one you recommend? I like the idea of having the large carts on the 800 but I don’t know if that’s really a good thing with DTF, especially since the design is sort of like using a CISS system. 

Business is slow at the moment so I’ll probably have 10-15 A3 prints a day for now but I expect that to increase in a few months. 

I appreciate all your help as usual. 

No worries. 

the p800 is great actually, easy and stable Chipless. The ink system is great too. It has a “ direct path” with an actual pressurized cartridge/ink system. 2 strong cleanings and all the ink ( if it has sat/separated) is fresh. 

I made a DTG P800, it’s the only one I still use. It sat for several months with no use at all. I shook the hell out of the white carts ( and let that settle), did three heavy head cleans, printed perfect. All I did was wet cap it before letting it sit. It’s not like the p600, it’s not really pressurized, and has a much more complicated ink system that takes forever to purge, a PITA actually for white ink. 

as for stylus pro, I’m not sure. I know the older printers don’t have Chipless, which I take heavy into considerations. 

my personal take, I stuck with the p600 for DTG, ( when I built the p800, I found it was better due to ink system). 

for DTF I’ve used the P800, and the P400. Of course the 15000, in the event I loose my printers I have a backup. 

I recently purchased a Printer from china, which is converted from a R2400, again, no Chipless, however this one does have it somehow, still trying to figure that out. 

so the downfall of older printers- 

1. no Chipless support

2. Parts no longer available/rely on used printer parts

3. DX5 printhead is over $1,000, which is no longer made, so when they are gone they are gone. Generally, this is probably what you’ll end up with. 

4. not much support in terms of error codes and support from other users.

but, to each his own. I have 4 p400’s and 4 p800’s, and this R2400 “china DTF” printer( with a R2400 spare on the way). Some people use the P5000, I tend to go towards the known “functional” aftermarket use printers, which is why I was a bit disappointed this chinesE machine wasn’t built around the R2000( old p400). In general, anything I can get my hands on cheap I’ll give a go though, as long as it supports Chipless. 

Edited by johnson4

37 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

No worries. 

the p800 is great actually, easy and stable Chipless. The ink system is great too. It has a “ direct path” with an actual pressurized cartridge/ink system. 2 strong cleanings and all the ink ( if it has sat/separated) is fresh. 

I made a DTG P800, it’s the only one I still use. It sat for several months with no use at all. I shook the hell out of the white carts ( and let that settle), did three heavy head cleans, printed perfect. All I did was wet cap it before letting it sit. It’s not like the p600, it’s not really pressurized, and has a much more complicated ink system that takes forever to purge, a PITA actually for white ink. 

as for stylus pro, I’m not sure. I know the older printers don’t have Chipless, which I take heavy into considerations. 

my personal take, I stuck with the p600 for DTG, ( when I built the p800, I found it was better due to ink system). 

for DTF I’ve used the P800, and the P400. Of course the 15000, in the event I loose my printers I have a backup. 

I recently purchased a Printer from china, which is converted from a R2400, again, no Chipless, however this one does have it somehow, still trying to figure that out. 

so the downfall of older printers- 

1. no Chipless support

2. Parts no longer available/rely on used printer parts

3. DX5 printhead is over $1,000, which is no longer made, so when they are gone they are gone. Generally, this is probably what you’ll end up with. 

4. not much support in terms of error codes and support from other users.

but, to each his own. I have 4 p400’s and 4 p800’s, and this R2400 “china DTF” printer( with a R2400 spare on the way). Some people use the P5000, I tend to go towards the known “functional” aftermarket use printers, which is why I was a bit disappointed this chinesE machine wasn’t built around the R2000( old p400). In general, anything I can get my hands on cheap I’ll give a go though, as long as it supports Chipless. 

I am actually thinking of going with that Chinese printer if things go well in the future (the same as the Kingdom DTF correct?)

I actually just found some local guy selling a new in the box refurbished p400 for $800. Would you say that it’s a good idea to start off with this before jumping onto the p800?

The most I believe I’ll be printing anytime soon is 50 a day. 

38 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I am actually thinking of going with that Chinese printer if things go well in the future (the same as the Kingdom DTF correct?)

I actually just found some local guy selling a new in the box refurbished p400 for $800. Would you say that it’s a good idea to start off with this before jumping onto the p800?

The most I believe I’ll be printing anytime soon is 50 a day. 

That is the same one, he calls it the Knight 8. It’s based on the R2400 printer. 

as for the P400, I ran two of those and made thousands of transfers with them. I can’t say exactly, but they ran for 30 days solid at least 12 hours a day. I had to install a fan on the back because after about 6-8 hours of constant printing they would overheat. The small 40MM usb fan solved that issue. 

for me, I got roughly 40 prints per ink set, using cmyk with a white under base. I 3D printed an ink holder and had 6 sets of cartridges in rotation ( 3 each printer). If you do only white, or only black, you would get roughly 35 each ( 70 total) prints per ink set. 

I was actually hoping to convert this Chinese printer into a P400, but that’s a no go without extensive modification. 

$800 isn’t bad, they sell the heads for more than that, I was lucky and found some sold from Epson refurbished for $439, I ended up with 4 of them.  Same with the p800’s, I think they were $600 though, but they come with $425 worth of OEM ink I sell. so for me, the p800 is about half the cost of the P400, but that’s still what I mainly use.

With the S/N on the p400 you can order an extra head for about $500 from Epson, I did anyway. 

Edited by johnson4

20 hours ago, johnson4 said:

That is the same one, he calls it the Knight 8. It’s based on the R2400 printer. 

as for the P400, I ran two of those and made thousands of transfers with them. I can’t say exactly, but they ran for 30 days solid at least 12 hours a day. I had to install a fan on the back because after about 6-8 hours of constant printing they would overheat. The small 40MM usb fan solved that issue. 

for me, I got roughly 40 prints per ink set, using cmyk with a white under base. I 3D printed an ink holder and had 6 sets of cartridges in rotation ( 3 each printer). If you do only white, or only black, you would get roughly 35 each ( 70 total) prints per ink set. 

I was actually hoping to convert this Chinese printer into a P400, but that’s a no go without extensive modification. 

$800 isn’t bad, they sell the heads for more than that, I was lucky and found some sold from Epson refurbished for $439, I ended up with 4 of them.  Same with the p800’s, I think they were $600 though, but they come with $425 worth of OEM ink I sell. so for me, the p800 is about half the cost of the P400, but that’s still what I mainly use.

With the S/N on the p400 you can order an extra head for about $500 from Epson, I did anyway. 

I picked up the P400 earlier today and the guy was really pushing on me picking up the P600 (maybe because he had about 10 of them lol).

Sounds like you prefer the P400 or 800 for DTF. Would you say they’re just generally more user friendly than the 600?

39 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I picked up the P400 earlier today and the guy was really pushing on me picking up the P600 (maybe because he had about 10 of them lol).

Sounds like you prefer the P400 or 800 for DTF. Would you say they’re just generally more user friendly than the 600?

The p600 is a good machine, don't get me wrong. But the P800 is easier/better to clear settled ink with. The P600 Ink line Assy is harder to clear. 

Yea, P400/P800 is what I have and use at the moment. The P600 is so expensive now, plus the time heavy ink purging if you don't print everyday, it just never really fit my bill. I used several of them for DTG for a few years. 

Whats he asking for the P600's?

Edited by johnson4

3 hours ago, johnson4 said:

The p600 is a good machine, don't get me wrong. But the P800 is easier/better to clear settled ink with. The P600 Ink line Assy is harder to clear. 

Yea, P400/P800 is what I have and use at the moment. The P600 is so expensive now, plus the time heavy ink purging if you don't print everyday, it just never really fit my bill. I used several of them for DTG for a few years. 

Actually it was R3000s. I honestly can’t remember exactly what he was asking for but I think it was around $1,000 each. 

3 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Actually it was R3000s. I honestly can’t remember exactly what he was asking for but I think it was around $1,000 each. 

R3000 is basically the same, except no Chipless, older version head. 

Edited by johnson4

On 7/17/2021 at 3:01 AM, johnson4 said:

Hi .. question for your P400. does the chipless software cover the waste ink resets as well.. What solution do you recommend for the P400 waste ink management... thanks. 

2 hours ago, chaudhryis said:

Hi .. question for your P400. does the chipless software cover the waste ink resets as well.. What solution do you recommend for the P400 waste ink management... thanks. 

It doesn’t.

You buy the reset utility for the p400 for the waste pads. 

3 hours ago, johnson4 said:

It doesn’t.

You buy the reset utility for the p400 for the waste pads. 

Thank you. you mean the ones which need the key on every reset (WIC) .. thats 6-7$ for each time or key... or is there any other reset utility you use (Kindly share a link) thanks. 

One more question.. for the roll printing.. do you use the P400's roll attachment ? if yes than what is the size of rolls which worked for you with out a problem... 33cm or 30cm.. 10 meters or 100 meters.. 

thanks. 

On 7/16/2021 at 6:01 PM, johnson4 said:

Hey Johnson....I'm setting up the P400 now and before I actually fill it with inks, I wanted to ask if it makes a difference how the inks are set up. Should I use CMYK in their original slots (K in the MK slot?) and white in the other 4 channels? Or should I only be using 2 channels for white (unsure if the Gloss Optimizer channel can be used with regular ink).

15 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Hey Johnson....I'm setting up the P400 now and before I actually fill it with inks, I wanted to ask if it makes a difference how the inks are set up. Should I use CMYK in their original slots (K in the MK slot?) and white in the other 4 channels? Or should I only be using 2 channels for white (unsure if the Gloss Optimizer channel can be used with regular ink).

If anybody is wondering, I think you have to use either YMCK-WWWW or WWWW-YMCK when using EKPrint. I got it working fine using YMCK first. Seems to need much less ink percentage with this P400 vs the XP-15000

7 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

If anybody is wondering, I think you have to use either YMCK-WWWW or WWWW-YMCK when using EKPrint. I got it working fine using YMCK first. Seems to need much less ink percentage with this P400 vs the XP-15000

Thanks... this is useful information for me as well... I am waiting on my P400 to arrive.. (After my fails and wasting money and time with the XP15000 and the Epson 4900)

Question... DId you get the Chipless software and chipless carts? I am in the process of ordering carts. Found on alibaba ARC chip version and the without chip ones which are basically half the price... As I am going to do the chipless firmware install anyway, was thinking to use the without chip ones save some money .... Also another question to you.. would you get the film on roll or on sheets with the P400..

34 minutes ago, chaudhryis said:

Thanks... this is useful information for me as well... I am waiting on my P400 to arrive.. (After my fails and wasting money and time with the XP15000 and the Epson 4900)

Question... DId you get the Chipless software and chipless carts? I am in the process of ordering carts. Found on alibaba ARC chip version and the without chip ones which are basically half the price... As I am going to do the chipless firmware install anyway, was thinking to use the without chip ones save some money .... Also another question to you.. would you get the film on roll or on sheets with the P400..

I got chipless software from inkchip.net.

But I think mine was somehow already chipless because the nozzle check showed the chipless firmware number when I ran it. Here's how to do it: 

On 7/20/2021 at 8:29 PM, Mdrake2016 said:

I got chipless software from inkchip.net.

But I think mine was somehow already chipless because the nozzle check showed the chipless firmware number when I ran it. Here's how to do it: 

Just got my new Epson P400 (Learnt its the P405 Australian version)... Installed the chipless software .. thanks.. Installed the waste tank bottle... Now I have questions and need a little help...

1. The ink carts I got were without chips.. so thats fine.. however I noticed there are two holes on the top... do I have to leave either of them open for air flow.. or Keep them both closed.... (See Picture)

2. I noticed the P400 has a "Card Stock" tray which lifts up the pizza rollers.. If I just leave it at that.. would it work ? or I need to take the pizza rollers out.. (See Picture)   

Thanks for your help.. 

I feel the P400 should have its own discussion board.. we do have a few P400 users now.. Thanks you @johnson4  @Mdrake2016

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

Edited by chaudhryis

2 hours ago, chaudhryis said:

Just got my new Epson P400 (Learnt its the P405 Australian version)... Installed the chipless software .. thanks.. Installed the waste tank bottle... Now I have questions and need a little help...

1. The ink carts I got were without chips.. so thats fine.. however I noticed there are two holes on the top... do I have to leave either of them open for air flow.. or Keep them both closed.... (See Picture)

2. I noticed the P400 has a "Card Stock" tray which lifts up the pizza rollers.. If I just leave it at that.. would it work ? or I need to take the pizza rollers out.. (See Picture)   

Thanks for your help.. 

I feel the P400 should have its own discussion board.. we do have a few P400 users now.. Thanks you @johnson4  @Mdrake2016

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

1. Don’t use ink carts without chips- will pull on stock chip reader- at least make sure they don’t. I didn’t pay attention first time and ripped all mine out the first time I had to remove them. I ended. Up removing them entirely so I didn’t have to use chips to prevent the damage. 

As for air holes, they usually put the plugs in backwards. The one near the center is the fill hole, that’s where I put the colored plug with the “handle”. The other hole near the end, that’s the air vent- leave that open- toss the little round plug unless you want to plug the carts for extended storage later. 

2. you’ll want to remove those rollers, OR trigger the sensor that makes the printer know it’s open, so it thinks it isn’t open. I’ve done both, ultimately I ended up removing them and not using the thick paper media path. I removed all the associated parts for that- but you don’t have to, just the rollers.

3. I agree, for DTF, I haven’t found a better machine than the P400. 

Edited by johnson4

1 hour ago, johnson4 said:

1. Don’t use ink carts without chips- will pull on stock chip reader- at least make sure they don’t. I didn’t pay attention first time and ripped all mine out the first time I had to remove them. I ended. Up removing them entirely so I didn’t have to use chips to prevent the damage. 

As for air holes, they usually put the plugs in backwards. The one near the center is the fill hole, that’s where I put the colored plug with the “handle”. The other hole near the end, that’s the air vent- leave that open- toss the little round plug unless you want to plug the carts for extended storage later. 

2. you’ll want to remove those rollers, OR trigger the sensor that makes the printer know it’s open, so it thinks it isn’t open. I’ve done both, ultimately I ended up removing them and not using the thick paper media path. I removed all the associated parts for that- but you don’t have to, just the rollers.

3. I agree, for DTF, I haven’t found a better machine than the P400. 

Thank you... and some latest update...

I did exactly what you suggested for the carts for the two holes.. left the air hole open.. worked like a charm... 

I didn't have any chip on the carts.. but you are right when i was installing them, i noticed they were pulling on some plastic piece on the carts which was meant to hold the chips.. so i just tossed those pieces off from the carts.. and they installed perfect .. I went with YMCKWWWW setup.. 

Have a look at my first print ....

I had purchased the Acrorip 10.2 (Because I was initially working towards the XP15000 which didn't workout).. so now stuck with Acrorip ... I am playing with the colour and white percentages  .. I went with 30% colours and 30% white.. with 1440 x 1440... The feel is just about right .. but I wish I could get a little more vibrancy for the colours and more opaque whites..  What do you suggest for the percentages.. 

Also some things.. do you turn off your P400 DTF converted printer or leave it on (I leave my other pigment ink and sublimation printer always on) .. Also would you advise to leave the DTF inks in if you plan to print within the next 24 hours or do you always install the cleaning carts over night.. 

Thanks again for your help...

IMG_0287.JPG

1 hour ago, chaudhryis said:

Thank you... and some latest update...

I did exactly what you suggested for the carts for the two holes.. left the air hole open.. worked like a charm... 

I didn't have any chip on the carts.. but you are right when i was installing them, i noticed they were pulling on some plastic piece on the carts which was meant to hold the chips.. so i just tossed those pieces off from the carts.. and they installed perfect .. I went with YMCKWWWW setup.. 

Have a look at my first print ....

I had purchased the Acrorip 10.2 (Because I was initially working towards the XP15000 which didn't workout).. so now stuck with Acrorip ... I am playing with the colour and white percentages  .. I went with 30% colours and 30% white.. with 1440 x 1440... The feel is just about right .. but I wish I could get a little more vibrancy for the colours and more opaque whites..  What do you suggest for the percentages.. 

Also some things.. do you turn off your P400 DTF converted printer or leave it on (I leave my other pigment ink and sublimation printer always on) .. Also would you advise to leave the DTF inks in if you plan to print within the next 24 hours or do you always install the cleaning carts over night.. 

Thanks again for your help...

IMG_0287.JPG

That looks really good, with some tweaking I’m sure you could get the results you want.

as for the carts, if I’m not printing for 72 hours or more I do cleaning carts. Otherwise I just shake the carts everyday and keep it all clean. 

8 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Oh, and I always leave them on, for simplicity. I roll print and leave the roll loaded. Powering them off or being in standby, honestly has 0% difference other than potential power draw. 

Thanks for the reply .. I wanted to look into the roll printing on the P400.. but looks like the supported roll adapters are too small I guess … 

What I was looking at was the 33cm x 100m rolls from Alibaba.. and they clearly looked bigger than the available roll adaptors of the P400… what’s your solution on this .. did you buy or make one to custom.. any pictures you can share please .. 

thanks again ..