Epson XP 15000 DTF conversion

MicahG

• 3 weeks later...

I've converted our xp-1500 and have AcroRip working.  I'm struggling with the film sheets being detected.  More times than not I will only get a partial print right down the center.  If i put a normal piece of paper in, AcropRip will print just fine and not think twice.  Is there a sensor I need to block off somewhere?

Thank

SM

IMG_3006.jpg

1 hour ago, SnowmanWI said:

I've converted our xp-1500 and have AcroRip working.  I'm struggling with the film sheets being detected.  More times than not I will only get a partial print right down the center.  If i put a normal piece of paper in, AcropRip will print just fine and not think twice.  Is there a sensor I need to block off somewhere?

Thank

SM

IMG_3006.jpg

There is a sensor but you can’t block it. It senses the paper width. Make sure that’s off in acro, if it still does it you’ll need a sticker/white strip at the beginning of each sheet the entire length of the film. 

an alternative is to buy rolls and make a roll adapter, I used EKprint so you can make it roll print, and simply cut off each print when it’s done and load it once. You could also just cut long “sheets” from a roll and do the same without the diy  roll adapter. 

Edited by johnson4

47 minutes ago, SnowmanWI said:

Is that just for the xp-15000 or in general?  We are looking at a p400 for a secondary.

Thanks

I mentioned in the earlier post EKprint allows you to roll print with all of their supported printers, including the 15000. Acro doesn’t have that option, at least, version 9.xx doesn’t. 

Edited by johnson4

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 11:09 PM, MicahG said:

So, just making a little thread with my updates on the 15000 DTF.

removing the rollers is super easy and easily reversible.

so far, the empty refillable carts hold 17ML of ink each, comparable to the p400 which can get 30ish prints per ink set. 

Chipless is available, and works fine. 

swapping pre filled ink carts appears to be easy, and quick. 

ekprint RIP supports it, and works fine with it. 

So far, no issues at all with the “sponge” type cartridges. 

Ink settings are a bit different, but still Plenty of white ink for a one pass. 

prints the same speed as the p400/p600/p800. 

Chipless does NOT include the maintenance cart, however a $25 resetter is available. 

overall, it’s printing satisfactory, just like my p400. 

VERY cheap way to get into DTF sheet printing, I’m in it $205 ready to go printing DTF film, minus RIP. 

will update as time goes by and issues arise .

Any new updates?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Any new updates?

Over time a few updates have occurred, some are in the post, some I'll say below.

1. The Aftermarket carts at the time did leak. I took a new one apart and fitted it into the printer and noticed why it doesn't make a good seal, I'm in the process of making a fix for this to just use standard dampers. Some people just clean and reuse the oem carts with a CISS.

2. all the failures I have seen or heard of with this printer, all stem from leaking into the printhead. Taking a thick bead of silicone all the way around it to pool any spilled ink and prevent it from going down the edges. Basically sealing it so nothing can drip downward on the printhead. 

3. Only " half" wet cap, the liquid can "wick" up into the printhead/PW sensor.

4. AcroRip 10.3 doesn't seem to work with it well and causes Phantom Jams. I always supported EKprint so thats what I went with anyway.

5. some people report issues with the chipless firmware from InkChip. Again, I've always supported ChiplessSolutions, so I have no idea. 

6. DO NOT buy this printer pre-converted. It's simple and easy to do, and you can take further precautions while you are in there. IF you think you can get away with purchasing it pre converted and not knowing how to work on it, it would be best to save your money for something else. you'll end up needing to clean or replace parts and repair the machine sometimes weekly but more likely at least bi monthly. All of them do this, not just the xp-15000. 

7. If you want to use a CISS you can without the risk of leaking. Put the ink level of the ciss a bit higher than the printhead and previously install "in-line" dampers. They were like 20 cents each from china- no filters( they didn't make any with filters). This allows ink to flow, but also not put pressure on it. 

8. OEM/AFTERMARKET carts do NOT have filters for the ink, so all that is at the printhead- so check your filters often ( like weekly or something). 

That's all I can remember at the moment. 

9 hours ago, TammyBerg said:

Can you go into detail or give definitions of "wet cap", "wick", "damper", "filter".  I'm very new.  Getting ready to set up my first xp-15000.  This is all a new language to me.  

Also, know of any good YouTube videos about converting the XP-15000?

I don’t, I’ve seen good and bad videos ( like bad advice and good advice). 

those terms are used all over this forum, if you look around you’ll probably find everything you need here. 

9 hours ago, TammyBerg said:

Can you go into detail or give definitions of "wet cap", "wick", "damper", "filter".  I'm very new.  Getting ready to set up my first xp-15000.  This is all a new language to me.  

Also, know of any good YouTube videos about converting the XP-15000?

Wet cap= put a small amount of fluid in the capping station for the printhead to rest over. It helps by removing air from the sealed area, and keeps it moist so the ink doesn’t dry in the printhead. 

damper- some printers use dampers instead of ink cartridges, some use both. It sits on top of the printhead. If your cartridges don’t go on top of the printhead, you have dampers. They also usually have a built in filter or screen to stop ink particles from clogging the printhead. 

wicking is something acting to absorb or draw off liquid by capillary action. Usually something you see in DTG. 

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 12:38 PM, johnson4 said:

Look up the waste tank model, ( Like T3661) resetter. 

Do you happen to have a link to a Maintenance Tank Chip resetter at a reasonable price? The only one I could find is this one on Wish for $38 and another one on Amazon for $63:  https://www.wish.com/product/5efe9a7694fa888f86e98f1e?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=US&_force_currency_code=USD&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=5efe9a7694fa888f86e98f1e&ad_cc=US&ad_lang=EN&ad_curr=USD&ad_price=37.51&campaign_id=7203534630&gclid=CjwKCAiAs92MBhAXEiwAXTi251K1BKHlAshsAT736K6fyBURVffLm6r5zRKpncZiASqtrgIvKWuBoRoCxHEQAvD_BwE&share=web

24 minutes ago, Kres said:

That’s how much they are now. You can order directly from China for about $30 plus your shipping method. 

• Like 1

Hola, compré mi xp 1500 hace 2 meses y en 2 semanas recibiré el sistema cis, quiero agradecer a Jhonson por toda la información, y quiero hacer una pregunta ... ¿se puede instalar la solución sin chip con los cartuchos? sin chip? O tengo que poner los originales que vienen con la impresora (que no creo que sea el correcto), pero si pongo el original la impresora pondrá la tinta que no es para dtf?

5 hours ago, allanjoel said:

Hola, compré mi xp 1500 hace 2 meses y en 2 semanas recibiré el sistema cis, quiero agradecer a Jhonson por toda la información, y quiero hacer una pregunta ... ¿se puede instalar la solución sin chip con los cartuchos? sin chip? O tengo que poner los originales que vienen con la impresora (que no creo que sea el correcto), pero si pongo el original la impresora pondrá la tinta que no es para dtf?

hola, no te preocupes. Espero que parte de la información haya sido útil. en cuanto a las tintas, nunca usé las tintas oem, las vendí. Hice el orinter sin chips y utilicé carros de posventa de inmediato. sin embargo, si desea utilizar las tintas originales para probarlo antes de convertirlo, es una buena idea. no dañará nada y solo requerirá 2-3 limpiezas adicionales para eliminar las tintas OEM.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, allanjoel said:

Hello, I already installed the chipless system, but I have the following problem, it only prints on normal paper sheets, that is, when I put the film it only pretends to print but no ink comes out, but if I put normal paper it does print, help me please bro

Try a different film. Thin films don’t work well in any converted printers. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have several questions about converting the epson code 15000 printer to DTF

1. can the rear feeder be used to feed the films through 

2. are all DTF inks pretty much the same 

3. most are recommending chipless solutions over chipink do you have a preference 

4. Can DTF be printed and used without white ink, if so can they be used on cotton without the white ink base

thanks for your help

5 hours ago, Torita said:

I have several questions about converting the epson code 15000 printer to DTF

1. can the rear feeder be used to feed the films through 

2. are all DTF inks pretty much the same 

3. most are recommending chipless solutions over chipink do you have a preference 

4. Can DTF be printed and used without white ink, if so can they be used on cotton without the white ink base

thanks for your help

1. Yes, I used EKprint. 

2. no 

3. Chipless solutions

4. No, unless you are printing black ink only. Without white, you are literally limited to a white shirt without white ink using color.

Edited by johnson4

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2021 at 10:09 PM, MicahG said:

So, just making a little thread with my updates on the 15000 DTF.

removing the rollers is super easy and easily reversible.

so far, the empty refillable carts hold 17ML of ink each, comparable to the p400 which can get 30ish prints per ink set. 

Chipless is available, and works fine. 

swapping pre filled ink carts appears to be easy, and quick. 

ekprint RIP supports it, and works fine with it. 

So far, no issues at all with the “sponge” type cartridges. 

Ink settings are a bit different, but still Plenty of white ink for a one pass. 

prints the same speed as the p400/p600/p800. 

Chipless does NOT include the maintenance cart, however a $25 resetter is available. 

overall, it’s printing satisfactory, just like my p400. 

VERY cheap way to get into DTF sheet printing, I’m in it $205 ready to go printing DTF film, minus RIP. 

will update as time goes by and issues arise .

So how is the 15000 doing so far?