Epson XP 15000 DTF conversion

MicahG

It’s been roll printing for about an hour. So In stock form, no modifications, it will roll print. The carts need refilled every so often, which you can do in the printer. 

resetting the ink without spitting out the film works great. 

overall, the Epson XP-15000 successfully rolls prints without issue and minimal maintenance to keep it going, for a $200 printer, it’s doing great. 

Also, if someone wants a license for the XP-15000 for EKprint at a slight discount, I’m selling mine for $300, one activation, one pc. 

Edited by johnson4

2 hours ago, johnson4 said:

So, an update:

The Xp-15000 has quite a bit of quirks, mainly stemming from Epson and the aftermarket chipless solutions. However, it's easily ignored, but can give "false" issues, like paper jams, printing blank pages, etc. 

Simple enough to avoid, and to fix. 

Other than that, I have just printed heavy ( like 200% density) large black boxes over and over again until the ink was low in roll mode, and was able to easily ( about 10 seconds in total) reset the ink levels with no ill effects while roll printing, with literally no effort or modifications to the printer. 

So, my initial issue when roll printing last night has been resolved, and that was resetting the ink levels without kicking out the roll of film.  I was able to successfully, and easily, refill the cartridges while roll printing also, which, again, depending on the design ( I was doing a CMYK 12x10 design) and figure it would have done 30 prints before I felt uncomfortable enough to refill it. Printing CMYK+W might lower that yeild, since the white only has two cartridges, depending on your ink settlings. Still, not a big deal to take a syringe and squirt 10ML of ink in it real quick.

However, I still haven't been able to successfully do a head clean while roll printing. The PW sensor is also the PE sensor on this machine ( one of them). Now, I have found which FFC cable it is, and it's pretty simple, just like the previous printers PE sensors. You can unplug the sensor entirely, and then it will do a head clean, as if no paper is there. However, you cannot continue to roll print, because the PE load timing still needs to be seen after a head clean, which is nearly impossible to replicate by hand. 

I don't intend on adding anything to the printer, or heavily modifying it in any way. 

Basic answer though, I found a way to roll print with the XP-15000, Minus the ability to do a head clean WHILE roll printing. The ink issue was the major pitfall( ink counter running out while the film is still loaded), which is easily bypassed now. IF I need to do a head clean while printing ( with the p400, not once, so i doubt it'll happen often here) I will just cut the film and reattach it after the clean is done- simple enough and might happen once or twice for 50-100 prints in theory.

I'll give it another test tonight, roll printing " take 2" to see how it works now. 

So you removed sensor's cable, i have a few questions that are not Clear enough.

1- Can you accually roll print or it is printing like printing on multiple sheets(with a bit space between each sheet)

2- You removed cable of sensor under printhead right?

3- if so do you ever need to plug it back?

4- when you are out of ink(not Real but as counters), you can change catridges and it does not spit out rest of roll paper. But what if catridges become empty on mid print, does it contunies the printing or that sheet becomes waste and it starts over?

Thank you for these informations btw 

3 hours ago, anum11 said:

So you removed sensor's cable, i have a few questions that are not Clear enough.

1- Can you accually roll print or it is printing like printing on multiple sheets(with a bit space between each sheet)

2- You removed cable of sensor under printhead right?

3- if so do you ever need to plug it back?

4- when you are out of ink(not Real but as counters), you can change catridges and it does not spit out rest of roll paper. But what if catridges become empty on mid print, does it contunies the printing or that sheet becomes waste and it starts over?

Thank you for these informations btw 

1- I’m not sure I understand, are you talking about nesting? I do the same with my p400.  I print one design, load and print another design, etc. instead of loading individual sheets, it prints continuously on the roll, with whatever gap I want in between.  If you wanted to print a huge long design, that would probably be limited to 44” a print. 

2. I did not, this was unplugged from the sub board to try and get it to not detect film, so I could do a head clean while printing. While that worked to clean the head, it needed to “ load” again, spitting out the film. If I triggered it just right, it would work. However, let’s just say, you can’t do a head clean while it’s roll printing. 

3. without this PE/PW sensor, it never sees that the film has loaded, so it must stay plugged in. 

4. If printing and you run the carts completely out, it will tell you to change the carts. When you press “ ok” it spits the film out. grab it at the back so it doesn’t feed.  

it’s not wasted, just cut the film, pull it through the back, do your thing. Once done, reload the film, and after the first print pause it. Reattach to the previously cut/printed piece, problem solved. 

However, it’s extremely easy to not do this. I leave the “ink remaining” page on the printer pulled up. When I print, I pause every 20 prints and look at it, or about once every 40 minutes for me.

however,  Recently, I’ve accidentally done something that makes the ink just read full(ish), after 25 prints, it reads 95% full. No idea what I did, trying to figure it out still. 

overall, on a unmodified ( physically) xp 15000 printer, you can load the roll, and send print after print until you are done, all on one continuous roll, back to back. I choose to keep them half inch apart. 

Check your ink levels once every half hour, or whatever you find works for you and your size/type of designs. takes 10 seconds to reset, and maybe a minute to refill the ink, when needed.  This will not interfere with the continuous printing. 

when done, pull the film out a bit, cut it, and be done. No special modifications, no special software, on a stock ( I mean, Chipless) xp 15000 Epson printer. 

is it perfect? No, but it’s a $200-$350 printer that is current gen and widely available. Can be used for sheet or roll, at 13” wide. 

the only difference from the p400:

I can load the film before printing

I can do a head clean while roll printing

the carts always read full.

Other than that, no difference, same applies for the p600 and P800, except you have to deal with settled ink on those.

you could easily attach a ciss ( which, as I mentioned I have a plan to use one with it, without the need of keeping the ink level with an easy circ system) and simply reset the carts every half hour while roll printing and have a 13” roll printing DTF machine. That is, unless they come out with the firmware that literally always read full, then cut the ink reset. 

if they do, then the only difference is being able to do a head clean while roll printing. 

let me put it to you this way, I have 15 Epson printers here. All are the 15000, p400/p600/p800. 

I chose the p400 and the 15000 for a reason. Now that I have the xp 15000 doing what I want, it could easily replace the p400 on my auto shake/cure cart with my current knowledge on it anyway. So much so, I’d almost feel comfortable selling my p400 stock, knowing they are not replaceable. 

When something fails, I toss it and buy a new one at their current low price, instead of spending $1,000 on one printhead.

with what I have test printed in the 15000, would have more than double paid for itself already if I sold the printed designs. I have no idea how long it’ll last before it fails, but we’ll see when and what. 

the main purpose for me, was to secure the future of what I’m doing. P400’s don’t exist anymore, and I’m not using a p800 unless it’s a last resort, which I really don’t want to do.

If I can’t “ roll print” and use my auto cure/shaker/roll up machine, I’m out of business. I’m definitely not ever going to try and make any money off of sheet printing, it’s not worth it to me. 

oh, and you CAN pull the WiFi card on the xp 15000 and it still work fine, just tells you it’s missing when you turn it on. Easier though, just disable the WiFi in the menu and don’t do stupid things like me ;) 

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, johnson4 said:

1- I’m not sure I understand, are you talking about nesting? I do the same with my p400.  I print one design, load and print another design, etc. instead of loading individual sheets, it prints continuously on the roll, with whatever gap I want in between.  If you wanted to print a huge long design, that would probably be limited to 44” a print. 

2. I did not, this was unplugged from the sub board to try and get it to not detect film, so I could do a head clean while printing. While that worked to clean the head, it needed to “ load” again, spitting out the film. If I triggered it just right, it would work. However, let’s just say, you can’t do a head clean while it’s roll printing. 

3. without this PE/PW sensor, it never sees that the film has loaded, so it must stay plugged in. 

4. If printing and you run the carts completely out, it will tell you to change the carts. When you press “ ok” it spits the film out. grab it at the back so it doesn’t feed.  

it’s not wasted, just cut the film, pull it through the back, do your thing. Once done, reload the film, and after the first print pause it. Reattach to the previously cut/printed piece, problem solved. 

However, it’s extremely easy to not do this. I leave the “ink remaining” page on the printer pulled up. When I print, I pause every 20 prints and look at it, or about once every 40 minutes for me.

however,  Recently, I’ve accidentally done something that makes the ink just read full(ish), after 25 prints, it reads 95% full. No idea what I did, trying to figure it out still. 

overall, on a unmodified ( physically) xp 15000 printer, you can load the roll, and send print after print until you are done, all on one continuous roll, back to back. I choose to keep them half inch apart. 

Check your ink levels once every half hour, or whatever you find works for you and your size/type of designs. takes 10 seconds to reset, and maybe a minute to refill the ink, when needed.  This will not interfere with the continuous printing. 

when done, pull the film out a bit, cut it, and be done. No special modifications, no special software, on a stock ( I mean, Chipless) xp 15000 Epson printer. 

is it perfect? No, but it’s a $200-$350 printer that is current gen and widely available. Can be used for sheet or roll, at 13” wide. 

the only difference from the p400:

I can load the film before printing

I can do a head clean while roll printing

the carts always read full.

Other than that, no difference, same applies for the p600 and P800, except you have to deal with settled ink on those.

you could easily attach a ciss ( which, as I mentioned I have a plan to use one with it, without the need of keeping the ink level with an easy circ system) and simply reset the carts every half hour while roll printing and have a 13” roll printing DTF machine. That is, unless they come out with the firmware that literally always read full, then cut the ink reset. 

if they do, then the only difference is being able to do a head clean while roll printing. 

let me put it to you this way, I have 15 Epson printers here. All are the 15000, p400/p600/p800. 

I chose the p400 and the 15000 for a reason. Now that I have the xp 15000 doing what I want, it could easily replace the p400 on my auto shake/cure cart with my current knowledge on it anyway. So much so, I’d almost feel comfortable selling my p400 stock, knowing they are not replaceable. 

When something fails, I toss it and buy a new one at their current low price, instead of spending $1,000 on one printhead.

with what I have test printed in the 15000, would have more than double paid for itself already if I sold the printed designs. I have no idea how long it’ll last before it fails, but we’ll see when and what. 

the main purpose for me, was to secure the future of what I’m doing. P400’s don’t exist anymore, and I’m not using a p800 unless it’s a last resort, which I really don’t want to do.

If I can’t “ roll print” and use my auto cure/shaker/roll up machine, I’m out of business. I’m definitely not ever going to try and make any money off of sheet printing, it’s not worth it to me. 

oh, and you CAN pull the WiFi card on the xp 15000 and it still work fine, just tells you it’s missing when you turn it on. Easier though, just disable the WiFi in the menu and don’t do stupid things like me ;) 

I share same toughs as you that is why i asked so much about this Xp 15000. It is not selling in my country so i have to order it from other countrys that is why i am trying to understand process.

Just 1 thing i could not understand. I am post about how you can continue printing after you click catridge buttons.

I do understand you just have to reset counters before catridges read empty, but does it contunies printing without spitting the roll if you do that, do you need to do something manually to keep the film in i did not understand this part.

Also how do you adjust gap between 2 prints isnt it standard, i mean is there something on Epson driver for this?

Edited by anum11

6 hours ago, anum11 said:

I share same toughs as you that is why i asked so much about this Xp 15000. It is not selling in my country so i have to order it from other countrys that is why i am trying to understand process.

Just 1 thing i could not understand. I am post about how you can continue printing after you click catridge buttons.

I do understand you just have to reset counters before catridges read empty, but does it contunies printing without spitting the roll if you do that, do you need to do something manually to keep the film in i did not understand this part.

Also how do you adjust gap between 2 prints isnt it standard, i mean is there something on Epson driver for this?

I see you’ve got down to the two Questions that matter the most. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mastick001 said:

Hello,

I found two chipless firmware for xp15000.

https://inkchip.net/soft/

and

https://www.2manuals.com/product_info.php?products_id=1857

Are they the same or do they have any differences?

Which do you recommend?

get the one from chiplesssolutions.com 

The other one is outdated and will make your printer print blank pages. I had this issue, but when I put the right firmware it worked perfectly!

• Thanks 1

The other one is outdated and will make your printer print blank pages. I had this issue, but when I put the right firmware it worked perfectly!

For some reason the 2manuals site has the correct XP-15000 firmware on the main firmware page, but the wrong one on the directions page.  I had the same problem until I realized the main firmware page was a different firmware.  The one worked perfect.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

please help:

i have bought a xp-15000, to make it chipless i have downloaded the chipless firmware from chiplesssolutions.com.

but the new firmware dont update the printer, by 85%, after the printer starting new - and the programm say "new firmware approved", the process hang! it goes slowly to 99% and after then it says "cant update the firmware". 

what goes wrong? can i have some help please?

thanks

it´s always the same. the firmware is always nw07k7. i make the firmware update today.

yesterday i have printed an info site, the firmware was yesterday "nw07k7 20.07.2020".

today also the same. and wit wicresetter i have the same firmware number.

???

7 minutes ago, nas333 said:

it´s always the same. the firmware is always nw07k7. i make the firmware update today.

yesterday i have printed an info site, the firmware was yesterday "nw07k7 20.07.2020".

today also the same. and wit wicresetter i have the same firmware number.

???

nw07k7 is the chipless firmware version. It means that it worked. If you check your ink levels, they should be at 100% 

ok, but the printer is new, yesterday i started firsttime. and by the first time printing i have this firmware version nw07k7-20 07 2020.

today i will make the firmware update, i make it 6 times, and always the same. and the ink tank are  between 81-87%, the waste-tank on the monitor empity.

????

should i make the activation so?

5 minutes ago, nas333 said:

ok, but the printer is new, yesterday i started firsttime. and by the first time printing i have this firmware version nw07k7-20 07 2020.

today i will make the firmware update, i make it 6 times, and always the same. and the ink tank are  between 81-87%, the waste-tank on the monitor empity.

????

should i make the activation so?

The waste take needs a separate resetter, chipless doesn't work on the waste tank. 

If the activation doesn't work, just try again. It gives you a " backup" key to save to make the same printer chip less as many times as you want, as long as you save that backup key. 

Edited by johnson4

5 minutes ago, nas333 said:

that's weird, for all I know, I have my printer working right now with the NW07K7 firmware

If I were you, I would try updating the printer to the latest Epson Firmware and then installing the Chipless one

2 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

The waste take needs a separate resetter, chipless doesn't work on the waste tank. 

That's true. For the XP-15000, you'll need a physical Chip resetter for the waste tank

no, i dont have it activated, as first i will make the upgrade, and after then with license online activation. but i think the current one firmware is doesnt upgraded. what is the upgraded firmware number on your printer?

6 minutes ago, nas333 said:

i dont have any "bacup" key. the process hangs by 99%. when i pull the usb cable out or power cable the process dont stop, it still run forward, but nothing will go on.

This is normal, Ignore it. 

6 minutes ago, nas333 said:

no, i dont have it activated, as first i will make the upgrade, and after then with license online activation. but i think the current one firmware is doesnt upgraded. what is the upgraded firmware number on your printer?

Yes, Do the firmware downgrade, it will hang and freeze.

Then activate it with the chipless key, once you do, it will generate a different KEY that you save as a back-up key. 

It's the same firmware, it's not chipless until you buy it, and activate it. 

If you have the wrong firmware, use the key again after you fixed it. As long as you save the back-up key the activation program gives you, you can run the chipless activation 100 times on the same printer, it doesn't matter.  So, even if it was accidental the wrong firmware, it doesn't hurt/risk anything as long as you save the new key.

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nas333 said:

but mean you, the current firmware can be activated with the online activation? will it works after without chipless tanks?

I'm saying that the firmware you said you have, should work for chipless. If for some reason the downgrade firmware wasn't successful, you just save the new key it generates and try again. It's normal for the process you describe.

After it's activated, yes, the ink reads full and counts down like OEM cartridges are installed, without any installed. you reset it to full by clicking" change ink carts" twice.  Don't let the printer run without ink/cleaner installed, or it can damage your printhead since it will always recognize ink is installed, even when it isn't. Running the printer with no ink installed can and will damage the printhead. 

The ink chips aren't necessary and are a waste of money, they only work once for this printer. The only thing else you need is the waste tank chip resetter. 

Edited by johnson4