Epson XP 15000 DTF conversion

MicahG

So, just making a little thread with my updates on the 15000 DTF.

removing the rollers is super easy and easily reversible.

so far, the empty refillable carts hold 17ML of ink each, comparable to the p400 which can get 30ish prints per ink set. 

Chipless is available, and works fine. 

swapping pre filled ink carts appears to be easy, and quick. 

ekprint RIP supports it, and works fine with it. 

So far, no issues at all with the “sponge” type cartridges. 

Ink settings are a bit different, but still Plenty of white ink for a one pass. 

prints the same speed as the p400/p600/p800. 

Chipless does NOT include the maintenance cart, however a $25 resetter is available. 

overall, it’s printing satisfactory, just like my p400. 

VERY cheap way to get into DTF sheet printing, I’m in it $205 ready to go printing DTF film, minus RIP. 

will update as time goes by and issues arise .

Edited by MicahG
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JTS said:

I'm a bit new to the scene.  What exactly does this mean?

Well, with the P800 for example, when you install chipless firmware, it makes all of it chipless, including the waste tank. While with the P800 you must leave the chip in place, it always reads full.

With this printer  the waste tank DOES NOT have chipless. Meaning, you'll need to replace it every time it fills, or reset it and empty it yourself. Not really a big deal, and the way it's situated it's more convenient, won't overfill, I don't see it as a bad thing, just means you need a $25 waste tank chip resetter for it on top of the chipless firmware for the ink.

Edited by johnson4

20 minutes ago, JTS said:

Can I just mod the printer to drain to an external tank so it never fills?  And if it never fills it will never trigger the chip to replace the tank?

adding an external waste tank would help nothing, but add an extra thing to deal with.

Still need to reset the chip, easier to dump the existing waste tank than add another one externally. 

I'm not sure if you understand how the chips work, none of them physically count the ink, rather, its a set limit on the amount of ink used, or " should be used". You can load empty ink carts into the printer and fill up the waste tank and empty the carts without any physical liquid being present. To the printer, it doesn't care if it's actually using ink, it just knows it should and when that counter should be full.

I'd also be careful with doing that because of the way this printer seals the printhead, you can easily create a siphoning effect and drain all the ink, and potentially ruin the printhead, unless that waste tank is level with the printer. 

Edited by johnson4

I'm not sure if you understand how the chips work, none of them physically count the ink, rather, its a set limit on the amount of ink used, or " should be used". You can load empty ink carts into the printer and fill up the waste tank and empty the carts without any physical liquid being present. To the printer, it doesn't care if it's actually using ink, it just knows it should and when that counter should be full.

Thanks.  I did think it detected the actual waste build up.

Chipless does NOT include the maintenance cart, however a $25 resetter is available. 

MicahG, where did you see a resetter for $25?  Cheapest I could find was $49, unless some that are not tagged as XP-15000 compatible will work.

45 minutes ago, JTS said:

MicahG, where did you see a resetter for $25?  Cheapest I could find was $49, unless some that are not tagged as XP-15000 compatible will work.

Look up the waste tank model, ( Like T3661) resetter. 

49 minutes ago, JTS said:

Also, your not wrong to assume that. I've had some brother printers that had a sensor within the waste pad, and when the sensor got wet- the printer would trigger the alert that it needed service. 

I've never ran into an epson like that though, all of them I've had has been counter related. 

Over the weekend, I'll make a roll adapter for it and see how far I can go with roll feeding it, see if it stops working at some point.

I also might have found a way to add a ciss system, without the ink tanks needing to be level and worrying about the issues associated with that. Which would help with roll feeding it and not worrying about the inks. I'll deal with the settling issue in the ciss later, I don't plan on letting it sit, just to test it.  

The sheet mode is finicky, like some other printers with certain films, but I'm making a 3D printed part that from testing should work just fine if doing a bunch of sheets without a loading issue. 

I've also got the waste tank resetter on the way, to see if that works. 

And, If all that works, I'll be replacing the P400 with this temporarily on my DIY cart machine thing to stress test it with about 100 continuous full size prints in roll printing form. I want to see how far this "disposable" printer will go. 

Edited by johnson4

6 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Over the weekend, I'll make a roll adapter for it and see how far I can go with roll feeding it, see if it stops working at some point.

I also might have found a way to add a ciss system, without the ink tanks needing to be level and worrying about the issues associated with that. Which would help with roll feeding it and not worrying about the inks. I'll deal with the settling issue in the ciss later, I don't plan on letting it sit, just to test it.  

The sheet mode is finicky, like some other printers with certain films, but I'm making a 3D printed part that from testing should work just fine if doing a bunch of sheets without a loading issue. 

I've also got the waste tank resetter on the way, to see if that works. 

And, If all that works, I'll be replacing the P400 with this temporarily on my DIY cart machine thing to stress test it with about 100 continuous full size prints in roll printing form. I want to see how far this "disposable" printer will go. 

so, this supports uncut roll printing? i mean does it gives out whole roll after print is done, or is it stays in and you can send another print?

3 hours ago, anum11 said:

so, this supports uncut roll printing? i mean does it gives out whole roll after print is done, or is it stays in and you can send another print?

I have no idea, I’ll be testing it this weekend, but kinda looks like it. 

Edited by johnson4

Anyone experience/fix 031006 error on the xp15000?  

-Brand new printer

-CISS with chipped cartridges.  

What really sucks.....  Error appeared while initializing the printer for the very first time. 

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, graffritz said:

-Brand new printer

What really sucks.....  Error appeared while initializing the printer for the very first time. 

Sounds like I'd take it back and exchange it, i always use cleaner carts when initializing just in case. I bought my 4 refurbished and so far haven't had an issue. 

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, graffritz said:

-Brand new printer

Here you go, like I said, I'd take it back and exchange it. If you spilled ink down in the head, that would be on you though and I'd deal with it.

I noticed when filling the carts, you need to take a paper towel and dab the bottom on the first fill, after that it's fine and doesn't seep/leak ink.

XP-15000_031006.jpg

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, johnson4 said:

Sounds like I'd take it back and exchange it, i always use cleaner carts when initializing just in case. I bought my 4 refurbished and so far haven't had an issue. 

Thankfully, it was under warranty and they're sending me another unit. 

I'm assuming "cleaner carts" are dampers filled with printhead cleaning solution.  

3 minutes ago, graffritz said:

Thankfully, it was under warranty and they're sending me another unit. 

I'm assuming "cleaner carts" are dampers filled with printhead cleaning solution.  

Cleaner carts are just carts filled with solution, correct. I sell my OEM inks, and it's a great way to verify the machine works before loading inks in there and voiding the warranty. 

If they find white ink anywhere,  usually they'll deny you, good luck!

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, johnson4 said:

Printed well over its max 44” on sheet mode. This is after it sat for a bit over 48 hours, no cleans. No modification to the tray at all,  no head strikes. 

790E3886-3152-46B1-B330-0C2279515F78.jpeg

08DD9155-B291-49F2-81A7-81D1A0998A44.jpeg

52875A6B-41B0-4DF8-8B08-F99307994B21.jpeg

This is with XP1500?

29 minutes ago, Big daddy prints said:

Hi John I have a epson xp15000 and want to convert it but don’t know what I need to buy and where think you can help me a bit?

It’s going to be the same as all the other printers out there. 

Remove Rollers

chipless 

cartridges

film

ink

powder

This printer has no differences compared to other DIY methods