Kodak DTG ink can be used as DTF ink?

Hi all,
Have you guys ever try to use DTG ink as DTF ink? As website recommend user should use kodak dtg ink as dtf ink. I guess DTF ink is DTG ink with added somethings to make it better to print on PET film.
What kind of materials was coated onto pet film?

image.thumb.png.6a2ba7dcd628b52e1e060a05bd023a37.png

5 hours ago, Chix22 said:

Hi all,
Have you guys ever try to use DTG ink as DTF ink? As website recommend user should use kodak dtg ink as dtf ink. I guess DTF ink is DTG ink with added somethings to make it better to print on PET film.
What kind of materials was coated onto pet film?

image.thumb.png.6a2ba7dcd628b52e1e060a05bd023a37.png

DTF isn’t the same ink, not even close. It’s been discussed often. While they aren’t the same, some are interchangeable, yes. 

DTG ink is truly water based, DTF ink contains an oily substance, I know, it gets everywhere within my heated extractor, and drips out of the bottom and makes a huge mess, dtg ink evaporated away completely. Can water clean it up? Yes, but it doesn’t evaporate away like water. Basically, DTF ink is WATER SOLUBLE instead of water based, in my opinion. Put some on your fingers, rub it, then wash with water. Dtg carrier washes away, DTF carrier beads up, and repels the water. 

they sell sheets that work with some dtg inks, some people use regular sheets and it’s fine.

I used Kodak inks and it didn’t work at all, but this was months ago, and I didn’t try very hard since the ink cost was more than twice as much.  

DTG inks- $145 a liter

DTF inks, $45-$60 a liter. 

overall, dtf ink is different, using a dtg printer/ink with DTF makes sense to me for samples, anything else and it wouldn’t make sense to me financially or time wise, but to each his own, right. 

Using Andy’s roll film, ink and powder, a 12x10 print is less than 50 cents. With DTG, that cost me well over $1.50.

I know I’m rambling on, but the best thing to do is bite the bullet if your going to, it’s not going to get much cheaper than it is now, and it’s already  less than half the cost of dtg. It works well, and that’s been proven time and time again.

in my honest opinion, if you can’t roll print, and your not just a hobbyist but intend to sell them, it’s a waste of time, if your trying to make hundred(s)/thousands a week. 

ill shut up now, good luck with your decisions/endeavors. 

• 7 months later...