Will the powder adhesive show on final print?

I've been looking into DTF the past month and the one concern I have is that I came across  samples and videos with a rough edge on prints due to the powder. Attached is an example from a sample I ordered from one DTF supplier that I pressed myself (loose powder was ALL over the transparency by the way....is that normal?). Also attached is a screenshot from a video I saw on YouTube that looks even worse. I got a black powder sample which looked fine on a black shirt, but I tend to use all types of colors of shirts for my customers.

I believe I saw a comment here from @johnson4 mentioning that the medium powder would probably eliminate the powder along the edges but I just can't find any good pictures from DTF users anywhere online. I would hate to invest in this before seeing actual good prints up close.

Does anyone here happen to have any up close photos of their DTF prints showing no issues along the edges of the prints?

IMG_9364.jpg

youtubevideo.jpg

2 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I've been looking into DTF the past month and the one concern I have is that I came across  samples and videos with a rough edge on prints due to the powder. Attached is an example from a sample I ordered from one DTF supplier that I pressed myself (loose powder was ALL over the transparency by the way....is that normal?). Also attached is a screenshot from a video I saw on YouTube that looks even worse. I got a black powder sample which looked fine on a black shirt, but I tend to use all types of colors of shirts for my customers.

I believe I saw a comment here from @johnson4 mentioning that the medium powder would probably eliminate the powder along the edges but I just can't find any good pictures from DTF users anywhere online. I would hate to invest in this before seeing actual good prints up close.

Does anyone here happen to have any up close photos of their DTF prints showing no issues along the edges of the prints?

IMG_9364.jpg

youtubevideo.jpg

That’s transfer isn’t my normal, I mean plenty of things can cause it, but it’s not normal. I would have never sent that out. 

I have shared a few photos, but the edge should be crisp, and that powder should be non existent. 

3 hours ago, Mdrake2016 said:

IMG_9364.jpg

youtubevideo.jpg

4A6ABA93-5545-488A-ABEB-F3724E67147D.jpeg

137F7E94-D7D3-4832-BB71-4D6E07C31145.jpeg

8AB86576-9DA6-424C-9E53-2B0D5AB4FC1C.jpeg

DBFFFE20-118E-4BA0-BF3D-FAF030A3663E.jpeg

Bad film, too much ink, static, humidity level, I mean quite a few things can cause issues like that. 

Overall though, That’s something that is easily controlled when doing it yourself and not a standard to DTF. 

Edited by johnson4

On 4/6/2021 at 8:12 PM, johnson4 said:

Bad film, too much ink, static, humidity level, I mean quite a few things can cause issues like that. 

Overall though, That’s something that is easily controlled when doing it yourself and not a standard to DTF. 

I really appreciate your help. It's ridiculous that a company claiming to be DTF experts would give me transfers that have those type of results. It really turned me off and got me questioning if I should give DTF a try.

So basically, if I get everything from DTFSuperstore...medium powder, film and inks...then I should be good to go.

11 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I really appreciate your help. It's ridiculous that a company claiming to be DTF experts would give me transfers that have those type of results. It really turned me off and got me questioning if I should give DTF a try.

So basically, if I get everything from DTFSuperstore...medium powder, film and inks...then I should be good to go.

I mean, overall, yes the stuff there is good quality. I’ve never had film do that, except a roll I ordered from China that was bad. Everything I’ve gotten from Andy has been A+ Personally. Worst thing I’ve gotten is a few lumps in the powder( out of a 10lb bucket, not the 1lb option), which is to be expected with that amount. I just use a flour sifter after I get it and I’m good. 

if your ink settings are good, and you use good quality stuff, it should only take a couple shakes and be good, powder wise. 

Keep in mind, you shouldn’t powder directly after printing, let it air dry for 5-10 minutes first, if your going to use a manual method ( hand powdering/curing).

im not saying you won’t make mistakes, it happens. but yea, that powder everywhere isn’t normal, at all. 

Edited by johnson4

To put it another way, I have 6 DTG printers, that now sit idle and unused because of DTF. 

It can work great, minus the learning curve. Ordering quality stuff, will minimize that. Things will probably still happen, it’s a learning process. But, it’s not hard, and works well. 

I will say the “ trying to save money” aspect from ordering directly from China, has not served me well with DTF products.  

From using DTFsuperstore, my per print costs are less than half of what DTG was for me. Definitely recommend it.

Edited by johnson4

42 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Keep in mind, you shouldn’t powder directly after printing, let it air dry for 5-10 minutes first, if your going to use a manual method ( hand powdering/curing).

Funny enough, I found this forum by googling how to try to make my own auto DTF machine, and I came across your thread where you made your own. If this works well manually (thinking of converting an Epson 1430 that's been laying around for a year just for some orders), then I will be following your plans to make an automatic machine as well. Can't wait for you to get that done.

As for the money savings...I will absolutely be buying from here, not China.  I currently use white toner printing (biggest regret ever), and each sheet costs a minimum of $4 (not including ink costs). That's not factoring in the many, many damaged prints I continue to get. 

8 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

Funny enough, I found this forum by googling how to try to make my own auto DTF machine, and I came across your thread where you made your own. If this works well manually (thinking of converting an Epson 1430 that's been laying around for a year just for some orders), then I will be following your plans to make an automatic machine as well. Can't wait for you to get that done.

As for the money savings...I will absolutely be buying from here, not China.  I currently use white toner printing (biggest regret ever), and each sheet costs a minimum of $4 (not including ink costs). That's not factoring in the many, many damaged prints I continue to get. 

I also went down the toner path years ago, but I converted an HP laser printer instead of spending the money on one. I had also used the weedless two part and white toner. 

The machine I made has been working well, it wasn’t terribly hard to make. It’s going to take me take some to make the guide, it’s been getting busy around here. I didn’t think anyone was really interested honestly, haha. 

I don’t remember the exact cost I came up with, but I know it was under 0.50 cents for a regular sized print, using the roll method for DTF.