Epson XP-15000 Setup

5 hours ago, davekk said:

Thank you so much for all the information in this topic.. especially johnson4 & JTS for very detailed explanations. I am a newbie in this business but willing to learn and consider myself a tech savvy person in general. I do have this machine but not yet converted. Started to be a bit skeptical since johnson4 stated not to recommend it to beginners. 

My use case would not be to print every day but instead mostly during weekends and the printer would probably sit unused during the weekdays. Also I'm not aiming for the cheapest price per print and the also the printing speed isn't that important either. I could easily "afford" using sheets and not roll feeding. What I would appreciate the most is a machine that would be usable for at least 1 year or so and suitable for infrequent usage. Doing daily shake for the carts/inks would not be a problem though.

So I have a couple of questions.. First of all.. should I leave this machine (XP-15000) for regular printing usage and get another device for DTF just to avoid the problems related to ink spilling? In my country only the L1800 is available as new and the market for used machines seems to be really quiet. Haven't seen a single P-series device for sale in months. I might be able to get an old used R3880 but with that model cannot find that much information.

For infrequent use would the following procedures be enough (this machine or any other)?

Assuming I would have 2 sets of cartridges (one for inks, one for cleaning solution):

After using the printer always:

1. Close the refill plug hole and the vent hole in ink cartridges in place and after that removing them carefully

2. Swap the cleaning carts in with vents closed (then opening the air vent but not the refill plug)

3. Do couple of head cleans.

How about the capping station and the wiper? Do I need to clean these as well after every usage and what are the best tools/method for that? 

Do I need to clean parts under the cartridges before putting the cleaning solution cartridges in?

Before using the printer after a few days pause always:

1. Toss the remaining whites away (to avoid clogging) as JTS had done

2. Refill ink cartridges (+ whites) and then close the refill plug and the vent hole

3. Shake the carts a bit

4. Swap the ink cartridges in and opening the air vent but not the plug and then couple of head cleans

5. Print

Something wrong with the procedures or any other maintenance tips that I should be aware of ?

That procedure sounds good, the issue your going to have is getting the printer to hold up with all that over time. 

the weak spot is the cartridge seals too. 

for infrequent use, the very best printer is the P400/R2000. This unit will do what you are asking, without any problems, given you do what you said and clean the wiper also daily. 

P600/p800 have hoses, built in ink systems. These settle with ink every 48 hours of non use and must be flushed entirely. p800 is much easier to flush/get going, so I’d not the P400 my next recommendation is the P800. 2 heavy cleans and it’s ready to go. The p600, always took me about 20-30minutes or cleaning to get goin, wasting a ton of ink. 

all in all, you can use your 15000 for this, but I seriously doubt it will hold up to what your asking if It for long, even following your above understanding. It has a weak ink system, ink connections, and a weak capping station. 

P400 is the literal best for infrequent/not 100s a day printer.

($500 for p400)

p800 is the best for printing infrequent, and constantly mixed. 

( $800, $300 if you sell the ink). 

p600 is good for printing a minimum of 20 designs daily. 

( MIA- don’t recommend)  

Edited by johnson4

Thanks for the quick reply. Problem is that cannot get hands on any P Series devices here. Out of stock in every european store that I've found. Probably going in with the XP-15000 and continue searching for better one (P400 mainly) at the same time. If the machine breaks it won't be the end of the world. At least should give me experience with curing & other phases of the whole process and would have most of the stuff ready if I find a better machine.

1 hour ago, davekk said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Problem is that cannot get hands on any P Series devices here. Out of stock in every european store that I've found. Probably going in with the XP-15000 and continue searching for better one (P400 mainly) at the same time. If the machine breaks it won't be the end of the world. At least should give me experience with curing & other phases of the whole process and would have most of the stuff ready if I find a better machine.

Right, I find mine on ebay, Epson refurbished direct, garage sales etc. 

your not going to find a new one, but most of mine were refurbished or used and I’ve been fine. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 12:01 AM, johnson4 said:

You can get the demo for it without purchasing EKprint just in-case you run into an issue. It's fully functional, no time limitation, just prints a small watermark ( which you can get around if you know what your doing). 

Keep us updated, I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm still waiting on epson to ship mine.

How to get around the watermark issue?