Epson XP-15000 Setup

JTS

11 minutes ago, Mdrake2016 said:

I am using a Custsize.ini file but the thing is, it was working great, 0 issues. Then suddenly a print started printing 2 inches from the top. 

I restarted my computer and printer and now it suddenly worked. Very strange.

Yea, But, at least it was an easy fix :)

Hello all, just picked up the 15000 and have already converted the printer to dtf and made it chipless. I have not added the ink wanted to make sure I had a reliable rip software. Just got ek print to try out the software before purchasing. I have been printing transfers with a hp for a couple of years just looking to gain more versatility. 

One question is that I print on and off and trying to get a good approach as to not get clogs.  With the hp it's not really a problem.    What would be the ideal storage and duration when not printing? Would I be able to get by ever other two days without printing.  Most of the time I have large runs then breaks in between.   I was told to have carts with distilled water  would be fine with letting it sit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckles said:

I cant get my XP 15000 printer to recognize film at all in anyway. It just pushes it straight through and says "Out of paper". Am I missing a step? Im using EKrip. Any help would be greatful.

What feed path are you choosing in EKprint? Should be manual 

Ok I figured it out it was a aha moment. I only installed the  ek print studio drivers.  Installed epson driver and utilities are were off to the races.  

My magenta and yellow don't show as well doing second head clean now I'm getting banding and a bit of bleed off on the black ink appears. 

I took a q-tip and tried to get all the excess black and i'm using light ink 1440x1440 as a test.

On 6/5/2021 at 8:06 PM, johnson4 said:

What is the fatal error code? I have the booklet for the 15000 with all that in it. 

That makes sense, I've always wanted one of those but they are pretty expensive. It's spare parts though :)

031006 is the error code.

I actually built my cleaner from kitchen anti-jam pans, cheap Chinese ink pumps, cheap ultrasonic horn/driver and a 0-10 psi pressure transducer. If you look at the pictures on alibaba of the commercial ultrasound print head cleaners, there are shots of the inside internals and it's literally all off the shelf stock parts that add up to less than $100 as long as you know what you're doing with the electronics. I'm even trying to make mine a little fancier so I can change the direction of the flow back and fourth like an expensive Printdoctor.

Edited by Contracandles

5 minutes ago, Contracandles said:

031006 is the error code.

I actually built my cleaner from kitchen anti-jam pans, cheap Chinese ink pumps, cheap ultrasonic horn/driver and a 0-10 psi pressure transducer. If you look at the pictures on alibaba of the commercial ultrasound print head cleaners, there are shots of the inside internals and it's literally all off the shelf stock parts that add up to less than $100 as long as you know what you're doing with the electronics. I'm even trying to make mine a little fancier so I can change the direction of the flow back and fourth like an expensive Printdoctor.

Yea it sounds pretty cool. The only thing I missed was what controlled the pressure that accurately at that low of a psi with the cheaper units. That’s kind of what I had in was the printhead doctor brand, just so damn expensive. I’m running p400’s and while I can buy a few heads from Epson for $500 each, in the future If I have issues I’ll probably end up making/buying one myself. 

14 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Yea it sounds pretty cool. The only thing I missed was what controlled the pressure that accurately at that low of a psi with the cheaper units. That’s kind of what I had in was the printhead doctor brand, just so damn expensive. I’m running p400’s and while I can buy a few heads from Epson for $500 each, in the future If I have issues I’ll probably end up making/buying one myself. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961307250.html plus a LM4040AIZ4.1 to get a good reference voltage (if you are using an arduino) and you can get way more accuracy than you could possibly need. 

Hello.. this forum is great … I picked up the XP15000 for converting to DTF… didn’t load up the ink yet, but want to understand and possibly find a solution for the waste ink box.. can anyone guide me what is best mod for the waste ink box.. thank you.. 

1 hour ago, chaudhryis said:

Hello.. this forum is great … I picked up the XP15000 for converting to DTF… didn’t load up the ink yet, but want to understand and possibly find a solution for the waste ink box.. can anyone guide me what is best mod for the waste ink box.. thank you.. 

what I did, ( and people do different things). 

I just removed the top, the cotton pads, and  drilled a 3/4 hole or so in the top center and put it back on. That’s it. Use a syringe and empty it, or leave the top off and dump it out. Just be careful when moving the printer, take it out first or it’ll spill. Generally it won’t overfill since you have to reset the chip on it, so it works out.

Edited by johnson4

3 hours ago, johnson4 said:

what I did, ( and people do different things). 

I just removed the top, the cotton pads, and  drilled a 3/4 hole or so in the top center and put it back on. That’s it. Use a syringe and empty it, or leave the top off and dump it out. Just be careful when moving the printer, take it out first or it’ll spill. Generally it won’t overfill since you have to reset the chip on it, so it works out.

Thanks for the reply .. I think that should do it … 

I am assuming you use the chip resetter from AliExpress … any other technology or permanent software resetter.. 

I got my third XP-15000. Now I'm getting incomplete nozzle checks using DTF ink still. And the missing  lines are in the EXACT same spot each time. As in my nozzle checks are coming up pretty bad, but in a completely identical way. Ran a few cleaning cycles until I got an error
"something is wrong with the print head, please contact epson". It canceled that head clean, but it has allowed me to do subsequent cleans and hasn't given any errors yet. I've tried unplugging the caps at either ends of the ink cartridge as well as leaving both unplugged. Any hints what I might be doing wrong?

Honestly, I am beyond baffled how you guys managed. I can waste almost an entire cartridge worth of ink doing head cleans just to get "almost passable" nozzle checks. Then when I refill the cartridges, the shitty nozzle checks resume. I get constant head strikes when roll printing PET film, it seems there is really no way to print film without a media take up system (if I pull on the film it sort of doesn't smudge the film horrifically).

The good news is, using the refill cartridges, it can still print absolutely beautiful dye prints on canvas. Zero  issues printing canvas rolls. Getting the first print through without jamming is a bitch, but once you start printing you're pretty much good for the whole roll. So I said fuck it snagged a cheap R1800 with a clogged head. I'll keep the XP-15000s for photo and banner printing, and use the R1800 for sublimation and DTF. I was really hoping to use the new CLkRYMK sublimation and pigment ink made specifically for the XP15000 but I don't think I'm going to risk it at this point. Someone with deeper pockets than me can iron this shit out first. Maybe I'll try profiling the grey and red ink in the R1800 and see how that turns out (if it's even possible). I have a big box of replacement heads already so fuck it.

Hi.. just going through some of the comments and seeing the challenges and hassles people are facing on the XP15000 (which I was working to convert to DTF).. I am now double minded … 

I am at a stage where I haven’t put DTF ink in the printer yet… and yet to buy the RIP software and chipless software

I have two printers one is XP15000 brand new no existing ink in channels… and another is a P600 with original pigment ink cartridges which I may need to flush

I have the supplies to convert either of the two printers to a DTF printer.. my usage will be around 30-50 A3 prints in a week.. print runs every other day… 

Question is.. should I go after the XP15000 conversion or P600… 

the only reason I was wanted to use the XP15000 was because the cartridges sit on top of the print head and I thought it would be best to swap the carts with cleaning solution after every print run to keep them unclogged, in case I come after two three days for prints. 

Kindly suggest, as I am confused.

Everybody, please be careful with the cartridges on the XP-15000. The sponge cartridges suck if you make a mistake. I made 2 mistakes:

1. I had both holes on the cartridges plugged when I first installed the DTF inks, and it caused some leaking and a clogged nozzle that never cleared.

2. Yesterday I wanted to manually move the printhead so I can clean the wiper blade, and my finger accidentally hit one of the cartridges so it popped up and caused the ink to spill through. This seemed to fry something. I get an Error 031006 so I took apart the printer, removed the printhead and cleaned it the best I could but I still get the error when I put it back together.

Personally, I’m going to pick one of these up, they are about $1,900 delivered without the heads. 

the time it will save me will be priceless in terms of doing the work myself, and it resolves all the problems I have with even a P series printer. It’s basically a p400 with a white ink management system, ciss tanks, air vacuum and all that crap with the roll holder and such. 

8A178FD3-C6CD-4371-B940-9A1781BC1DD3.jpeg

Edited by johnson4

7 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Personally, I’m going to pick one of these up, they are about $1,900 delivered without the heads. 

the time it will save me will be priceless in terms of doing the work myself, and it resolves all the problems I have with even a P series printer. It’s basically a p400 with a white ink management system, ciss tanks, air vacuum and all that crap with the roll holder and such. 

8A178FD3-C6CD-4371-B940-9A1781BC1DD3.jpeg

Probably cheap if you did by sea shipping, that’s with DHL shipping. 

48 minutes ago, NitroBuzz said:

Where are you finding these? Who makes them?

Alibaba, seems like a good machine. Epson based, so you can use any RIP and not limited to whatever they have available for them in China. it’s $1600 without shipping/head. They have two versions, one like the l1800 and one like the p400. 

personally I’m going to swap the mainboard/head from a p400, boom. All my problems solved with a good, fast and reliable printer. After watching many videos, I don’t see any printer faster than the P series, which is the dx5/dx7 head. While i could likely replicate  everything the machine does, I just don’t have that time anymore, but it’s Epson based which is a huge plus for me, maybe not for others. 

I watched a 4 head tx600 printer move half as fast as one of these. Maybe the I3200 heads are faster, all I know is I can print about 15 feetx 13” in an hour on 1440 resolution for double layer transfers, 30ish for single layer. Having multiple smaller units seems more ideal than one large one, for obvious reasons. 

it’s the same one at kingdom Direct to film .com they sell for $5,500. 

Edited by johnson4