DTF Noob seeking advice with print defects (P600)...

Hi everyone.  Just starting out in the world of DTF, using a self-converted Epson P600 through AcroRIP 9.03 and at the stage of my first tentative test prints.

Is anyone able to shed any light on the issue shown in the attached image?  Pictured is the bottom corner of an A3 print, but it also happens at various points throughout the print.  In this case, the first couple of inches were fine, then there was a small patch at the edge, and it worsens nearer the bottom.  I think on this particular example I had the ink set at CMYK 30% and White 40%, but had also tried White at 30%.  Same issue.

I have an output tray (large piece of foam board, which rests on the far edge of the output tray and butts up against the printer next to the output roller).

You can see another example on the second image showing the printer and tray (bottom left corner of the printed portion of film).

So my assumption is the print head is contacting on the ink surface and causing the smearing.

Next on my test list is reducing the number of white channels used from 4 to 2, and playing around with where the makeshift output tray is positioned.  Would thick paper setting help???

My suspect list (in no particular order):

1. Too much ink
  2. Print head too close
  3. Film is bending due to insufficient support at output

To save me wasting too much ink/film, if anyone has any advice based on their own experience it would be much appreciated.  I'd also be interested to see where (vertically) people align their output trays. E.G. will 1 or 2mm make all the difference? :)

Print defects aside, I'm really pleased with how the finished results look/feel on a garment.

grrrrrrrr.jpg

IMG20210403125245.jpg

The output tray should be 1-2mm lower than the top of the output roller, what do you have it as? 

if it’s mainly at the bottom of the print, I’d suggest it has nothing to do with the ink.

Making it go with two channels slowed down my production, but It does work. 

the film should not bow, or arch in anyway when the printer prints. Look at it straight on as it comes out, I bet you’ll see it bubble up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

The output tray should be 1-2mm lower than the top of the output roller, what do you have it as? 

if it’s mainly at the bottom of the print, I’d suggest it has nothing to do with the ink.

Making it go with two channels slowed down my production, but It does work. 

the film should not bow, or arch in anyway when the printer prints. Look at it straight on as it comes out, I bet you’ll see it bubble up. 

Just the info I needed - the tray was a little bit too low.  A quick test tweak and aside from one little smear (just down from the letter Y in the image) it's pretty much resolved.  I just need to fine-tune the position of the tray and then I should be good to go.

Really appreciate the assistance and pointing me in the right direction - saved a lot of trial and error.

At some point I'll document all of the steps I went through etc. in case it's useful to anyone else going through the same process.

Thanks again :)

IMG20210404073652.jpg