Converting a used printer for DTF - Removing the old inks

12 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Youll need quite a bit more than $200, the rip, Chipless, refillable carts, ink, film, powder etc. but $200 for a printer is a good deal. 

Haha of course! I meant 200$ for the printer, but yeah there's a lot more stuff to get now!

11 minutes ago, alexb said:

Haha of course! I meant 200$ for the printer, but yeah there's a lot more stuff to get now!

Just pointing it out, sometimes people don’t know :) 

By the way, Epson, won’t allow you to put two of those printers in your cart, they limit one per purchase. 3 identical refurbished units per household. Basically you can place the order up to 3 times for that model in a year, per address. 

I haven’t seen that model available for over 3 weeks now, or any 6-8 color printer so yea, good timing.

gotta watch your email, they’ll cancel the order on you and someone else will buy it, if your phone number, or anything else you entered doesn’t match your billing exactly. Won’t know for another day or so though. 

overall, good luck with it and I’m glad you were able to find one. Most places/people are sold out of them all, aside from high demand, and Epson production shortages. Depending on the price of that r3000, it might be worth picking up ( but I’m also a printer hoarder). They are only going to get scarcer.  

Edited by johnson4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 22:50, johnson4 said:

No, non proprio. Stampanti ricondizionate e nuove sono la soluzione migliore.

Usato, beh, quanto usato e quanti anni, come mantenuto giusto? 

nel complesso, devi solo sciacquare i vecchi inchiostri con acqua distillata o un detergente leggero, il che significa che avrai bisogno di carrelli per farlo. 

poi un'altra serie di carrelli da riempire di inchiostro e da usare. 

È davvero così semplice. 

hi johnson4, I write from Google translate, from Italy. I arrived here because in my part there is no forum so rich in experience and skills, I need help .. I bought a used Epson r3000 but with a well-maintained head, I'm waiting for the Dtf inks to arrive, and taken by curiosity I wanted to fill the only set of resettable cartridges with 50% demineralized water, 40% isopropyl alcohol and 10% glass cleaning liquid. I cleaned the channels thoroughly, even though the black in print was staining the sheet and I have no idea why. my question is, will I be able to use the same cartridges filled with only 10ml of liquid to print or do I have to buy more? is there a procedure to empty them completely? I am attaching a short video of the cleaning process

IMG20210411173013.jpg

On 2/4/2021 at 22:50, johnson4 said:

No, non proprio. Stampanti ricondizionate e nuove sono la soluzione migliore.

Usato, beh, quanto usato e quanti anni, come mantenuto giusto? 

nel complesso, devi solo sciacquare i vecchi inchiostri con acqua distillata o un detergente leggero, il che significa che avrai bisogno di carrelli per farlo. 

poi un'altra serie di carrelli da riempire di inchiostro e da usare. 

È davvero così semplice. 

hi johnson4, I write from Google translate, from Italy. I arrived here because in my part there is no forum so rich in experience and skills, I need help .. I bought a used Epson r3000 but with a well-maintained head, I'm waiting for the Dtf inks to arrive, and taken by curiosity I wanted to fill the only set of resettable cartridges with 50% demineralized water, 40% isopropyl alcohol and 10% glass cleaning liquid. I cleaned the channels thoroughly, even though the black in print was staining the sheet and I have no idea why. my question is, will I be able to use the same cartridges filled with only 10ml of liquid to print or do I have to buy more? is there a procedure to empty them completely? I am attaching a short video of the cleaning process

• 1 year later...

I have a odd question

I have an epson xp15000 I have refillable cartridges and I have one set for dtf and the other regular ink

I wanted to use the dtf and when I'm done swap them out and put in the regular ink

Basically back and forth for everytime I need to use dtf.

Is this a good idea and what is best recommended to make this process work?

Thanks

10 hours ago, silva83 said:

I have a odd question

I have an epson xp15000 I have refillable cartridges and I have one set for dtf and the other regular ink

I wanted to use the dtf and when I'm done swap them out and put in the regular ink

Basically back and forth for everytime I need to use dtf.

Is this a good idea and what is best recommended to make this process work?

Thanks

Having a dedicated machine for each would be ideal. The machine won't last long with DTF as it is and you would burn through a ton of ink swapping out the cartridges/ink types. 

It does work though, just not ideal. If you are using DTF infrequently and your standard prints work without the rollers in the front, then you should be fine. Of course it should also be chipless.

Thanks,

I know I'll go through ink for sure..but that process is for if I have no prints for dtf and it sitting there and having to do maintenance nozzle checks print head cleaning etc I basically just wanted to run regular inks and flush out the dtf inks and not worry about it til I need to use dtf again.

Rather waste a ink than going through printers.

But thank you for taking the time to respond

Much appreciated 🙏 

On 11/2/2022 at 6:48 PM, silva83 said:

Thanks,

I know I'll go through ink for sure..but that process is for if I have no prints for dtf and it sitting there and having to do maintenance nozzle checks print head cleaning etc I basically just wanted to run regular inks and flush out the dtf inks and not worry about it til I need to use dtf again.

Rather waste a ink than going through printers.

But thank you for taking the time to respond

Much appreciated 🙏 

No worries, if it helps I am glad. That idea would likely work well in that situation. I do know using some cleaners instead of regular ink it will leak and damage the machine. I've had multiple reports of that, as well as experienced it myself. 

I think the key is keeping it clean and plugging the vent holes on the refillable cartridges whenever it sits. I left mine with DTF ink in it for over 2 months and it worked fine when I tested it again. By the third month of sitting it had hit the hay. If you used OEM ink carts, I don't see how an issue would arise, and if it did and the machine is still under warranty.. you know. I still firmly believe the issue with this printer stems from the aftermarket cartridges leaking. 

Anyway, good luck!

Edited by johnson4