Epson 3800 - Channels for white ink

I want to convert a Epson pro 3800 for PET film printing. from what I understand, the 4 channels that are towards the front of the printer should be the white ink, if I want to do one-pass white + color printing. Can someone confirm this ?

Thank you

Edited by nainino

8 hours ago, anum11 said:

Maybe they can work with 3880 or p800 settings on acrorip

I'll try it as soon as I get my refillable cartridges. Thank you !

btw I realized that my initial thoughts on the ink channels configuration made no sense, the different channels are all lined up side by side ( from what I've read in the service manual )

15 minutes ago, nainino said:

I'll try it as soon as I get my refillable cartridges. Thank you !

btw I realized that my initial thoughts on the ink channels configuration made no sense, the different channels are all lined up side by side ( from what I've read in the service manual )

There are 8 channels, 2 rows of 4 at the printhead. Some printers do have 1 row of 8 though. 

some people do it so all the white is on one side of the capping station, some people do it so it’s 2 white on each side. 

I prefer the white being blended with CMYK, it prevents white ink from building up at the capping station since the cmyk can flush it down too. When I did that ( all 4 white on one side) it made a mess, and dried out the head faster. 

but in reality it doesn’t matter, it’s like this:

0000  ( ink ports) 

|c|m|y| k|w|w|w|w (lines are printhead ink output) 

each line represents a color at the printhead. The circles represent the ink ports the ink goes in on the printhead. As you can see, they are all equal in placement vertically at the output point. The only reason it would matter would be the RIP software. Acro rip needs a specific loading of the inks. ekprint/kothari doesn’t. The placement of the inks doesn’t really physically matter to the printer. If that’s what your talking about. 

Edited by johnson4

That's exactly what I was talking about. I previously worked with a R2400 which have 2 rows of 4 channels ( iirc ), that's why I assumed it would be the same for the 3800, but it seems like the 3800 has only one row of 8 channels. 

I'll look further into this, but it would make a lot of sense to blend the white channels with the CMYK. That's probably what I'll do when my Acrorip dongle gets here.
If my 3800 doesn't work for DTF, I'll probably convert it to DTG.

Thank you johnson4
image.thumb.png.cbcdd28e96db2ac6155710503f5b99e2.png

1 hour ago, johnson4 said:

There are 8 channels, 2 rows of 4 at the printhead. Some printers do have 1 row of 8 though. 

some people do it so all the white is on one side of the capping station, some people do it so it’s 2 white on each side. 

I prefer the white being blended with CMYK, it prevents white ink from building up at the capping station since the cmyk can flush it down too. When I did that ( all 4 white on one side) it made a mess, and dried out the head faster. 

but in reality it doesn’t matter, it’s like this:

0000  ( ink ports) 

|c|m|y| k|w|w|w|w (lines are printhead ink output) 

each line represents a color at the printhead. The circles represent the ink ports the ink goes in on the printhead. As you can see, they are all equal in placement vertically at the output point. The only reason it would matter would be the RIP software. Acro rip needs a specific loading of the inks. ekprint/kothari doesn’t. The placement of the inks doesn’t really physically matter to the printer. If that’s what your talking about. 

• 5 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 7:54 PM, nainino said:

That's exactly what I was talking about. I previously worked with a R2400 which have 2 rows of 4 channels ( iirc ), that's why I assumed it would be the same for the 3800, but it seems like the 3800 has only one row of 8 channels. 

I'll look further into this, but it would make a lot of sense to blend the white channels with the CMYK. That's probably what I'll do when my Acrorip dongle gets here.
If my 3800 doesn't work for DTF, I'll probably convert it to DTG.

Thank you johnson4
image.thumb.png.cbcdd28e96db2ac6155710503f5b99e2.png

Hi,

Have u managed to convert Epson pro 3800 to DTF? Is it doable?