Head Crash

Hey all, hoping someone can help me out.

Just got my new OpenDtg p600 DTF printer and am having a problem running a sheet through.

After installing Kothari, I am doing a test print before filling anything with ink as recommended. So I load a plain piece of copy paper and print a file. As soon as the end of the paper is visible I can hear the head rubbing against the paper for about the last 25% of the print until it eventually has a head crash. I have attached a video and photo. Want to get this figured before I fill everything up with ink. Any help would be great, thanks!

IMG_8119.jpg

16 minutes ago, Wind Studio said:

Hey all, hoping someone can help me out.

Just got my new OpenDtg p600 DTF printer and am having a problem running a sheet through.

After installing Kothari, I am doing a test print before filling anything with ink as recommended. So I load a plain piece of copy paper and print a file. As soon as the end of the paper is visible I can hear the head rubbing against the paper for about the last 25% of the print until it eventually has a head crash. I have attached a video and photo. Want to get this figured before I fill everything up with ink. Any help would be great, thanks!

IMG_8119.jpg

Do you have the output tray in place? Not just the stock one. If so, you can also go into settings ( wrench on main menu) maintenance, thick paper, and turn that on. 

1 minute ago, johnson4 said:

Do you have the output tray in place? Not just the stock one. If so, you can also go into settings ( wrench on main menu) maintenance, thick paper, and turn that on. 

To me it looks like the output tray isn’t in place. With DTF those rollers are missing that hold the paper down, the tray holds the paper up so that doesn’t happen. 

Edited by johnson4

1 hour ago, johnson4 said:

To me it looks like the output tray isn’t in place. With DTF those rollers are missing that hold the paper down, the tray holds the paper up so that doesn’t happen. 

Any where I can see how that should look? Sounds like you are right as it seems like I just have the stock one (see attached)

75368CFD-787E-4277-84A0-E3CFE9BBB09F.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Wind Studio said:

Any where I can see how that should look? Sounds like you are right as it seems like I just have the stock one (see attached)

75368CFD-787E-4277-84A0-E3CFE9BBB09F.jpeg

I may be wrong, but from my knowledge it needs an output tray to hold the paper up. That would be an Andy question, I’m not sure if he does something different, or maybe it just wasn’t included etc. he’ll probably reply in the morning. 

12 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

I may be wrong, but from my knowledge it needs an output tray to hold the paper up. That would be an Andy question, I’m not sure if he does something different, or maybe it just wasn’t included etc. he’ll probably reply in the morning. 

Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, uhim said:

The video clearly shows that your drawing in film size cannot be done like that! The design should be smaller than the sheet of film so that the end of the film remains in the printer for holding and ejection from the printer.

I didn’t have this problem myself, if I printed larger than the sheet it just kept printing on the end. I can see as soon as the paper reaches the end where the rear isn’t supported, it lifts up and hits the printhead because it’s not supported in the front. What you suggest makes total sense, but isn’t there also soposed to also be a paper tray?  

3 hours ago, johnson4 said:

I didn’t have this problem myself, if I printed larger than the sheet it just kept printing on the end. I can see as soon as the paper reaches the end where the rear isn’t supported, it lifts up and hits the printhead because it’s not supported in the front. What you suggest makes total sense, but isn’t there also soposed to also be a paper tray?  

The paper tray plays an important role for the DTF to keep the film in a horizontal position, preventing the film from bending, ink spreading. When the film ends, it goes to an additional pushing roller, but there is nothing to press the film against the ox, since we removed these wheels and the film remains under gravity on the ox. At this moment, as the film is not fixed with anything, anything can happen, film shift, printing defects, or even the roller will not be able to push it further along the printing process. I ran into this situation in sublimation printing. Sublimation papers have a chalk base on one side. After 5-7 prints, the upper rollers stopped traces, it was often necessary to remove the roller bar to wash and dry. It's exhausting. After that, I decided to remove the rollers and increase the paper by three centimeters, all the problems went away. By the way, watch the video about DTF from Indonesia, everyone leaves a piece of film not just that they have a lot of it.

• Like 1