P800 Conversion - DTF all you need to Convert

22 hours ago, johnson4 said:

You do not need " extended" carts. the stock 80ML work just fine, but if you want those bigger cartridges and overhang, thats up to you. If that was my only option, I wouldn't have used the printer itself. Honestly, It's very hard to use those 80ML carts up to a degree refilling is an annoyance, Specifically for DTF.

You don't need a "white mixer" Just pull and shake the cartridge daily, Unless your going to redesign the entire printer ink system, and have it recirculate white ink throughout the entire ink system, its rather pointless and a waste of time/money. Just like DTG for the p600/800, you need to use the printer often with white ink, or do " ink charges" when you decide to. It's not going to be like a regular printer once you load any white ink in them. The P800 uses a pressurized ink system, so unless you remove that, and the "checks" that the printers built in firmware makes, and run your own system, I just don't see this as being an option. 

You can add a waste tank, personally I didn't, since it has one built in. I removed the cotton pads, and put a cover over it and notched out a " drain" on the corner so I could dump it every couple of days.

1. Not much, remove the rollers and make an output tray.

2/7. Kothari works well from what I understand, EKprint is cheaper, and for the most part works for me. I haven't tried Kothari just yet. I have never had any luck with Acro-rip for any type of good, repeatable, reliable, quick prints.

3, 4, 5, Those are the supplies you need. 

6- Any heat press will do, What Andy offers is a reputable brand. buy what fits your budget, and your requirements. 

7. a Belt dryer is what Andy used, You can also use a heat gun, Or a hover heat press. Depends on what you are doing. I don't see dropping the amount of money on a conveyor dryer just for DTF.

It's a pretty simple process,

1.remove the " pizza wheels" make an output tray

2. remove the cotton from the waste tank

3.make the printer chipless, ( something you left out)

4. get some refillable carts. 

Load your ink, use a reliable RIP software, and print. Wipe the capping station down daily, with cleaning swabs, and shake your white ink carts- daily. Use a heat gun/ Heat press to cure the transfer. ( or a belt dryer). a Sifter helps with the powder, plus whatever you decide to use to do that step in.

If you leave it sit for a day or two, be pre-pared to do an ink charge or several head cleans to get the white ink going again due to it's settling and separation. If you don't intend on printing with it often, it would be cheaper/easier to batch print once a week so you don't waste as much ink every other day doing cleanings.

I have Kothari Rip for F2100 can I add a P800 printer on it or I have to get the Specific Kothari for P800?

11 minutes ago, anum11 said:

If this ink is useable on Dtg, and accually gives better results with no cloging issues i would not use Dupont or Kodak etc. At all. What's not to understand?

You said it have better results on dtf, and less cloging. If this is accually a dtg ink and works well with pretreatment, who would use other brands?

My confusion comes from your relentless claims that this “ DTF” ink doesn’t exist, that it’s the same as standard DTG inks, as multiple previous posts from you point out.

you even have the OP ( original poster) asking if he can just use a regular DTG printer with standards inks with it now. 

now your saying it could be different, which is confusing, thus, “ my not understanding “. 

I agree, it seems to be a better ink in terms of clogging, but as I said I’ve only used it for DTF, the DTG application was only read on a website in another country, so I have no idea. It would be great if it worked for that, and if it will, I’m sure Andy or someone else will soon release that information.

it would be nice if you clarified your point, so a bunch of people don’t go buying DTG ink for film printing and finding out the hard way it’s not the same based on your posts. 

Edited by johnson4

17 minutes ago, sihotang said:

I have Kothari Rip for F2100 can I add a P800 printer on it or I have to get the Specific Kothari for P800?

From my understanding, you need to buy an additional license for each additional type of printer, at the same price as a normal license. The same applies if you want to use two of the same printer at the same time. I ran into this issue myself, Andy would be much more helpful on the costs/ process. 

Edited by johnson4

29 minutes ago, anum11 said:

If this ink is useable on Dtg, and accually gives better results with no cloging issues i would not use Dupont or Kodak etc. At all. What's not to understand?

You said it have better results on dtf, and less cloging. If this is accually a dtg ink and works well with pretreatment, who would use other brands?

To clarify, I think this is the confusion: 

Standard DTG inks DO NOT work with film printing, only DTG printing. 

“DTF” inks work with film printing, and potentially DTG printing, however untested by me. 

if “DTF” inks could replace standard DTG inks, it would offer a dual use for FILM and DTG printing, as well as less clogging, becoming a superior ink. 

Standard DTG inks would remain only for DTG, not film printing. 

I think that is the issue in the confusion, one would be potentially dual use, thus your calling it DTG inks. 

21 hours ago, JaRugz said:

on the 3800, I have to use the chips from the original cartridges..... would that make a difference with the ink configuration?.

On the Epson 3800, to get the refillable cartridges to work, I have to remove the chips from the original cartridges and put them on the refillable cartridges.  When I put the inks in the refillable, I just want to know if I have to use them in the slots assigned to that cartridge, regardless of what color ink is in the cartridge, so if I should use your configuration....

MK...PK...LK...LLK cartridges would be filled with White ink

The C... cartridge would be filled with Black Ink

The M....  cartridge would be filled with Cyan ink

The LC... cartridge would be filled with Magenta Ink

The LM... cartridge would be filled with Yellow ink and....

The Y cartridge would be filled with Cleaning solution.

Thats the ink layout left to right.

The 3800 is NOT chipless btw.

MJ

2 hours ago, JaRugz said:

On the Epson 3800, to get the refillable cartridges to work, I have to remove the chips from the original cartridges and put them on the refillable cartridges.  When I put the inks in the refillable, I just want to know if I have to use them in the slots assigned to that cartridge, regardless of what color ink is in the cartridge, so if I should use your configuration....

MK...PK...LK...LLK cartridges would be filled with White ink

The C... cartridge would be filled with Black Ink

The M....  cartridge would be filled with Cyan ink

The LC... cartridge would be filled with Magenta Ink

The LM... cartridge would be filled with Yellow ink and....

The Y cartridge would be filled with Cleaning solution.

Thats the ink layout left to right.

The 3800 is NOT chipless btw.

MJ

No that isn't right. 

MK/PK is a switching color, so both MK and PK will never be used at the same time. 

For the P800 I have it set as ( from left to right) 

MK will be cleaning solution, PK-LK-LLK-C would be for white ink.

VM-Black

LC-Cyan

VLM-Magenta

Y-Yellow

That is how I have my P800 Setup ( the newer version of your printer)

The P600 is setup the same way, the order is just backwards. 

So it would be ( from left to right) for the P600:

Y-Yellow

VLM-Magenta

LC-Cyan

VM-Black

C-LLK-LK-PK  would be white ink. 

At least that is how I set mine up years ago and it works fine on the P600's so I kept that arrangement at the print-head the same when I did the P800, which works fine as well. 

Just out of curiosity, so your going to buy OEM ink cartridges to use the printer with DTF for the chips? I personally don't know if that would be a good investment or not, but it sounds like it will get expensive, especially when it comes to doing head cleans and ink purges it really eats at those cartridges. I know when I first loaded the P800, I couldn't obtain the chipless yet, so I used refillable carts. Getting it ready to print and purged, I used like half the ink set's worth of counters on the ink. ( to be fair I've used this same set of carts on multiple p800's during setup). 

The p600 can be had for between $500-$1,000 still at the moment on random places in the US, if that is an option I would consider it. I don't believe there is a benifit to the larger print size since the film only comes in that 12.5" size as far as I know. 

Edited by johnson4

Just putting it out there, not knocking you for it because I don't know the situation around it, just being upfront about the potential cost that will add to the overall process with that printer, which obviously you are aware of. 

I still haven't pulled up the EK profile yet, I Should be doing that in a bit, After I process my orders for the day and get that out of the way, I can report back with the EK-print settings I used for the channels if necessary. 

On 11/4/2020 at 12:49 PM, johnson4 said:

Just putting it out there, not knocking you for it because I don't know the situation around it, just being upfront about the potential cost that will add to the overall process with that printer, which obviously you are aware of. 

I still haven't pulled up the EK profile yet, I Should be doing that in a bit, After I process my orders for the day and get that out of the way, I can report back with the EK-print settings I used for the channels if necessary. 

I checked with EukonDigital and they told me EKPrint Studio does not support White Overprint feature on the Epson 3800...😕.. bummer....

4 hours ago, TiK80 said:

Hey, i will get my order next week and i‘m curious for that. 

What cleaning Solution i have to take for the ninth cartridge on the p800?

is it „normal“ cleaning solution for nozzles/ printheads?

thanks a lot!

I used cleaning solution in my DTF printer and it seems fine. Andy did say to me at some point it works with standard DTG cleaning solution, So I would use that. Did you purchase his cleaning solution?

59 minutes ago, JaRugz said:

I checked with EukonDigital and they told me EKPrint Studio does not support White Overprint feature on the Epson 3800...😕.. bummer....

That is unfortunate, I did send a response to your PM, in case it does work. I have at times, Received inaccurate information from the Eukon team before, it may or may not be the case.  worth a shot though. 

If not, that is one of the main reasons I recommend the highly supported printers so things like this don't pop up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Ich habe Reinigungslösung in meinem DTF-Drucker verwendet und es scheint in Ordnung zu sein. Andy hat mir irgendwann gesagt, dass es mit der Standard-DTG-Reinigungslösung funktioniert, also würde ich das verwenden. Haben Sie seine Reinigungslösung gekauft?

No, i haven‘t bought any cleaning solution yet.

I must look for it here in Germany, unfortunately the shipping costs are too expensive... 

11 hours ago, TiK80 said:

Hey, i will get my order next week and i‘m curious for that. 

What cleaning Solution i have to take for the ninth cartridge on the p800?

is it „normal“ cleaning solution for nozzles/ printheads?

thanks a lot!

Is the ninth cartridge matte black? It should be empty as it is blocked by a valve and only regular black is used.

44 minutes ago, uhim said:

Is the ninth cartridge matte black? It should be empty as it is blocked by a valve and only regular black is used.

Yes, matte black- you‘re right, it changes the cartridges to print.

@johnson4- the filled cartridge no. 9 with your cleaning solution, is it working, this fulfills it’s purpose? Do you use this then?

(I hope you can understand my translation an you know what I mean...)

6 hours ago, TiK80 said:

Yes, matte black- you‘re right, it changes the cartridges to print.

@johnson4- the filled cartridge no. 9 with your cleaning solution, is it working, this fulfills it’s purpose? Do you use this then?

(I hope you can understand my translation an you know what I mean...)

The matte black filled with cleaning solution is just a place keeper. If you leave it empty, then do an ink charge, or accidentally change PK/MK it then sucks air into the printhead, which is very bad with DTG ink since that opposite line {PK} on mine is white ink.  Since the printer uses a switching valve for the two blacks, it makes it redundant to use both. I use a 30ML cart here, and a 80ML cart on the others for the p600, and of course the P800 retains all 80ML carts. 

9 minutes ago, uhim said:

Forgive me Johnson 4, in order to switch to matte, you need to specifically climb into the printer menu and switch to matte, this is a deliberate action, almost a "terrorist attack" in a small size.

Well said :) . Mine has two buttons on the front, An image of the switch, with a proceed button after that is pressed. which I have accidently pressed before unfortunately. not intentional, i wasn't even trying to touch the printer, I was reaching behind it. Haha.

That and I utilize the ink charge function sometimes, So i just keep some fluid in there. I always Err on the side of caution. These printheads, no joke cost more than most of the vehicles I have owned, especially now.

Edited by johnson4

7 hours ago, TiK80 said:

Ok 👍🏼
Theoratically I can use distilled water too, when there is no really function?

If you want, yes. I don't, I use Distilled water with a bit of cleaner in it, like 10-20 percent cleaner. 

It does have a function, just not one that is useful. It's an ink line that runs down to the print-head as Uhim pointed out. so during an ink charge, ( which you'll do to load the ink, and periodically when you have severe clogging or flushing) it will use that ink line, and anytime you accidentally use matte black in the printer driver or whatever it will push whatever it is in that channel through the print-head, mixing with whatever is in there from the PK line( white ink).  

Some people use Distilled water, Some use cleaner, some use a mix of both. It's really up to you and an opinion at that point.

THIS IS MY OPINION AND PROBABLY DOESN'T MATTER, ANYTHING TO AVOID ISSUES IS A PLUS TO ME:

I use both because I don't want the distilled water to only carry away the ink carrier, leaving ink behind that can clog. Since both inks cure water-proof, that indicates the pigment/base( the colored part) isn't water soluble, just a suspension in the water-soluble ink carrier. I know with DTG ink the white ink "coagulates" when contacted with water as the carrier is pulled away with the water, similar to how the pre-treatment works( Pulling out the carrier leaving behind the ink suspension). DTF ink seems to do the same, minus the coagulating, it seems to repel the water actually so it may not matter. I still used the same method just-in-case. 

I plan on trying the DTF ink as DTG ink eventually, I don't have enough to load another printer with, so I have no reasoning for it with DTF. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2020 at 11:27 AM, uhim said:

In my printer, the matte cartridge is empty, so that you understand, I am drawing a diagram of the operation of the black cartridge. If you use DTG ink, only the chip is used from the matte cartridge.

Без-имени-1.jpg

That s wrong,this cartbridge configuration IS good but ,printhead connections IS wrong

JaRugz...

Regarding inkcartridges, the best refillsolution I fond for my 3800-printers is the refillabel cartridges with the original chip. And yes, every chip has to be in the right place/inkslot to work. I also use a chip resetter to resett the chips.

• 7 months later...
On 11/3/2020 at 6:26 AM, johnson4 said:

1.remove the " pizza wheels" make an output tray

do you have to take out that manual feed tray that can drop down?

what do you recommend for the output tray and where should it sit/how high and far back? 

• 1 month later...