What Printers can be used for DTF?

On 2021. 2. 18. at 오전 4시 57분, MikeMason said:

안녕하세요, 

나는 여기에 새로 왔기 때문에 내 질문이 멍청하게 들리면 용서해주십시오. 카트리지 및 RIP 소프트웨어와 같은 Epson XP15000의 모든 액세서리를 찾았지만 실제로 DTF로 변환하는 방법은 없습니다.

변환 방법에 대한 지침을 찾을 수있는 곳이 있습니까? 나는 dtg pro의 웹 사이트에서 이미 변환 된 것을 보았습니다. 어떤 도움이라도 대단히 감사하겠습니다. 감사

Screenshot_20210115-231030_Chrome.jpg

Which RIP are you planning to use?
Are cartridges for refilling? CISS?
I am also thinking about choosing the Epson XP15000 (Epson XP15010).

11 hours ago, MikeMason said:

그래 그거 짜증나. 나는 내 사업으로 꽤 좋은 이익을 얻지 만 나는 싸기 때문에 항상 옵션을 찾습니다. 

AcroRIP V10.x officially supports XP-15000.
Other users are using printers that are not supported by AcroRIP V9.
It is said that AcroRIP selects a printer supported by AcroRIP similar to the ink adjustment and the corresponding printer's header, and uses several details individually. For testing, download AcroRIP V9 (free version or dark version) and try it out ....

Acro just isn’t a very good program in comparison. It takes way to long to process an image for printing, in my opinion it would be a downgrade. Using non-officially supported printers/programs in a professional print environment is just asking for trouble, with no support. While I’m all for DIY making it work, the software side is just something that needs to outright work. 

if your going to spend money on V.10, cadlink would bring more to the table with its support, and seemingly quick updates and features revolving around DTF.  

Acro just seems sketchy anymore, repurposed, and hard to know what’s legit and what isn’t. Cadlink has a strong presence with everyday DTF conversation, while others are left trying to figure out if the Acro they are looking at is a legit purchase, let alone who actually supports it, for a good example. 

Surely my opinion isn’t a fact, and simply my own opinion as is yours. I just personally  won’t recommend something that’s going to literally cause a headache down the road over a few bucks, especially to newer users. 

for $350, EKprint isn’t bad. For $395, Cadlink isn’t bad. Both offer great support, highly used by experienced users. Acro is a “ beginner” purchase at best, while eventually wishing they purchased something else, and end up doing so in order to up production, or for support. For those that don’t make it, or lose interest quickly, it would work just fine if it were free.

Edited by johnson4

Hi all, I'm new to DTF I got a P400 can anyone tell me what I'm missing,If anything to convert. I have the printer refillable cartridges (8) ink (6) film and powder. Do I need cleaning solution in 1 cartridge? Is it ok for 2 to be empty? Please help

1 hour ago, Charese said:

Hi all, I'm new to DTF I got a P400 can anyone tell me what I'm missing,If anything to convert. I have the printer refillable cartridges (8) ink (6) film and powder. Do I need cleaning solution in 1 cartridge? Is it ok for 2 to be empty? Please help

CMYK+WWWW. None should ever be empty, using less than 4 white is only going to take longer. 4 white works well. You need rip software, a way to cure, powder, and press. I use the p400 exclusively at the moment. Don’t forget your film output tray.

sooner than later you need to install a waste tank. 

I personally recommend two sets of ink cartridges, even three. Two for ink, one for cleaner. That way you can “hot swap” the ink carts as they empty. Then, cleaning carts to pop in for extended (3+ days) of non printing. 

most important of all, you need Chipless firmware installed or you’ll want to rip your hair out. I highly recommend the 18ML refillable carts. 

Edited by johnson4

Hey peeps. Noob question. Can a dx5 be placed on a L1800? Chinese are selling ready converted L1800, but i asked them if they can place dx5 for better speed, some say yes some say it doesn't work well on a L1800. 

Can anyone clarify please?

And i also have an offer with dx5 head, a r2000 printer converted. they say they are all new (not buying that)

And many rip options, partnerrip, acrorip, maintop. Which is better?

Edited by Saint
Forgot to mention

7 hours ago, Saint said:

Hey peeps. Noob question. Can a dx5 be placed on a L1800? Chinese are selling ready converted L1800, but i asked them if they can place dx5 for better speed, some say yes some say it doesn't work well on a L1800. 

Can anyone clarify please?

And i also have an offer with dx5 head, a r2000 printer converted. they say they are all new (not buying that)

And many rip options, partnerrip, acrorip, maintop. Which is better?

I don’t think any of your options are good. 

it’s a pretty simple process to DIY. The printer comes with the head that Epson put in it, that’s it. You can change the manifold, but it’s not going to print faster by swapping out parts. The reason the bigger machines can work like that is because Epson sells printheads to them and they design the machine around that. But even then, it’s just the difference between 8 ink channels( dual I3200, ) or 16 ink channels( quad I3200). The Epson made printers can’t have a different “faster” printhead. 

if your concerned with speed, get a better printer. If your concerned with support, buy from a reputable company. If you want a decent rip, look at the available US options. Kothari, Cadlink, EKprint, etc.

ekprint and Cadlink have easily contactable support teams, who are willing to help quickly. Acro rip sucks, in my opinion. Time lost on the “ rip” process is expensive. That and just like the other “no name” rips, your not going to find a solid support system when you need it. I have used EKprint for 4 years. While they take 24-48 hours to respond, it’s been a fantastic investment. 

for DTF, I’m looking at the upgrade to Cadlink, who has even faster support. 

if your taking this seriously and want to make any decent money at it, and don’t have experience enough to proceed without any support from your supplier, you’ll regret your purchase as posted above, in my opinion. 

If your stuck on the L1800, just import one and convert it yourself. I made a complete DIY machine for under $700 including the printer. This prints, powders, cures, and rolls up the film for you. Using the p400, producing about 35 full sized prints an hour. Even this, is almost too slow for me but the fastest the p400 will go. It’s not a pissing contest on how cheap I made it, but rather a point to get across.

If you purchase everything I used( since I used scrap parts that would normally have went in the trash) it would cost you around $1,000-$1,200. My design isn’t even great, I usually suck at these things. But it works, and has been reliably.
My point is, the knowledge is the most important part, and if your “buying” something, you 100% need that                     “ knowledge”  from its creators, all around. It’s almost more important than the quality of the product itself. 

it didn’t need a vacuum tray to hold the film, it didn’t need a pre-heater, or any of the other fancy stuff they add and it’s fine. 

i recommend doing some more research, and buying from someone who can help you. The questions you ask, tells me you’ll need support at some point, so I would purchase what you need from someone who stands behind their products. 

for a good $2,000-$3,500 you can have a decent, purchased set-up. Genuinely, you get what you pay for in this field. 

Since I started actually using my printer about 3 weeks ago, I have produced over 600 transfers, and it has made me over $6,000. however, I have over 4 years experience with this type of thing, and I’ve had DTF since around September of last year. 

So keep in mind what your looking for in return when you invest into something. DIY will always be cheaper, but without the time and research you can achieve the same results from spending a little more cash. 

going to “China” and buying a random unit, is always a terrible experience. You need a good support system, someone who will help you with things that everyone encounters. I started with openDTG DTG printers 4 years ago, which has been a priceless experience. 

meaning it’s given me the knowledge and support to turn my business into something that has had over 35,000 customers since we started. Without that support system, this wouldn’t have been the outcome, even to this day, I get help when I need it the most so I’m never stuck unable to make orders. 

I wish you the best of luck, but knowledge is power, some sellers out there are to take your money. Putting it out their, everyone will tell you what you want to hear to get your business, no matter the outcome. 

the very few will actually stand behind you and your product. Which is why me personally, I’m here. 

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 8:57 PM, MikeMason said:

Good afternoon, 

I'm new here so please forgive me if my question sounds dumb. I've found all of the accessories for the Epson XP15000 like cartridges and RIP software but not how to actually convert to DTF.

Is there somewhere I can find guidance on how to convert? I've even seen on converted already on dtg pro's website. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Screenshot_20210115-231030_Chrome.jpg

What type of RIP software is conpatible for this printer 🖨 Epson xp-15000

2 hours ago, Kelsy said:

Can epson stylus pro 4000 be converted to a DTF? 

Basically any epson printer can work with DTF, That has Refillable cartridges available, with either Auto reset chips, or a Chipless ink solution. That and you need a RIP software that supports it. 

IF you have a way to reset the ink levels, the waste pad, and a software that supports it, then it should work. 

Keep in mind, using an older used printer, it will probably have hard to find parts, and end up causing a headache that no one else will have knowledge on, aside from the shortened lifespan. you WILL need to work on it at some point, aside from just changing the inks. 

I know someone using an ecotank printer using CMYK only for DTF, using it like a regular printer without any of those things, so it's possible.

it's all just a big puzzle that only you can solve, based on the desired outcome. While the pieces are provided for " cookie cutter" results, making your own path requires you to find and match those pieces yourself.  you really get what you pay for in this DIY path.

Good luck and happy printing :) 

Edited by johnson4

I just set up my Epson 1800 with EKPrint. Everything is good to go except every time I press print it tells me "ekprint process complete" and sends my film straight through. My print heads don't even move over. They aren't taped down. Can anyone help with this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I'm trying to decide between a P400 used from marketplace for $700 or a P800 epson refurbished for $699. 

I only plan on printing around 30-50 prints per week, no larger than 13x19.

So it may go 3-5 days without printing. This is my concern. 

Which printer would be better for this type of printing? 

Which printer is easier to maintain? 

5 hours ago, Cleonard said:

Hello. I'm trying to decide between a P400 used from marketplace for $700 or a P800 epson refurbished for $699. 

I only plan on printing around 30-50 prints per week, no larger than 13x19.

So it may go 3-5 days without printing. This is my concern. 

Which printer would be better for this type of printing? 

Which printer is easier to maintain? 

I use the p400, even when I print hundreds a day to avoid any ink settling issues or any of that crap. 

I have all the other models people use the most and still choose the p400 for that singular reason. 

if you seen a p800 available at that price, it isn’t available any longer. 

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 8:42 PM, johnson4 said:

I use the p400, even when I print hundreds a day to avoid any ink settling issues or any of that crap. 

I have all the other models people use the most and still choose the p400 for that singular reason. 

if you seen a p800 available at that price, it isn’t available any longer. 

Thank you. I seen a P400 on another site pop up for $645. Its out now of course and says 8 weeks for backorder. 

I'm thinking if I can get my hands on it I'll go that route. I appreciate it. 

Does anything need to be done to it daily? Or what would I need to do to it when I know it will have to site for a few days not being used? 

17 minutes ago, Cleonard said:

Thank you. I seen a P400 on another site pop up for $645. Its out now of course and says 8 weeks for backorder. 

Does anything need to be done to it daily? Or what would I need to do to it when I know it will have to site for a few days not being used? 

Honestly, I run 100 prints through it, clean the wiper and let it sit. It’s easy to shake the carts and do a head clean and be good. It’s also easy to throw in cleaning carts, do a head clean, and let it sit for months, without ever worrying about ink settling or nozzle clogging. 

26 minutes ago, Cleonard said:

I doubt you’ll find one that cheap, If at all. I’ve spent every waking minute looking for them for months, I have 4 now, 2 new refurbs, 2 used, one used for DTF. Anything I find under $800 I buy it immediately, the printhead alone is worth $1,000. To me it’s a priceless machine, and the golden banana ( donkey Kong reference) for DTF printing on the cheap/reliability/ ease of use. I feel like it’s my secret to success, lol. 

the r2000 is the same machine, just the older version of the p400

Edited by johnson4

16 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Honestly, I run 100 prints through it, clean the wiper and let it sit. It’s easy to shake the carts and do a head clean and be good. It’s also easy to throw in cleaning carts, do a head clean, and let it sit for months, without ever worrying about ink settling or nozzle clogging. 

That seems easy enough! What RIP program do you recommend? 

Also any ink/transfer/powder recommendations? Which site you typically purchase through? 

Thanks for all of the information! I ordered some ready to press transfers from someone - I wanted to see how the felt before I jumped in. 

1 hour ago, Cleonard said:

That seems easy enough! What RIP program do you recommend? 

Also any ink/transfer/powder recommendations? Which site you typically purchase through? 

Thanks for all of the information! I ordered some ready to press transfers from someone - I wanted to see how the felt before I jumped in. 

I Use EKprint, It's the easiest to get into and offers good results. I recently purchased cadlink, however, I haven't printed much with it. Don't have the time to be slowed down with unfamiliar software. It's all over the place though, there are 3 main RIP software's out there. Ekprint, Kothari, CAD link. I'm not including Acro-rip, it's basically a joke in comparison. 

The ink and powder can't be beat from DTFsuperstore.com.  I mean, price and quality standpoint. I have over 20Liters of their ink as we speak, and 30 lbs of medium transfer powder(Which I need to order a bit more). I don't really have clogging issues, and it's VERY cheap for what it is. As for the powder, I'd go with the medium ( not economy). It's fantastic stuff, better than anything else I have tried anywhere else ( I tried about 5 places). The only thing I have found cheaper elsewhere, was the film, but in the end I received faulty product mixed with good product. With this, I ended up paying over twice as much, for a product I was trying to save literally $15 on. I know first hand these guys will replace faulty product, so that alone is worth the price difference to me. 

Not a problem, The HUGE problem with ordering transfers from someone to determine the quality. is it has a 100% variable. It depends on your ink brand, film brand/type, powder brand/type/size, ink settings, curing method. Any one of those can make a heavy hand, a peeling transfer, a low quality product overall. I've had the pleasure of speaking with about 5 different people now who first hand has successfully made their own transfers, due to the low quality of the one's they purchased being the driving force behind it. 

Overall, You can't go wrong with a tested, US based business ( DTF superstore.com) Which is also the same people who own this forum. I've had help for over 4 years from these guys, if something ever broke, they helped take care of it no matter what. If I asked a really "not thought out"  question, I still received help.