What Printers can be used for DTF?

1 hour ago, johnson4 said:

From my understanding, no Chipless firmware or refillable carts exist for the 3880, as another user did this and had to use the chips from OEM carts, unless I’m mistaken. If that is true, it would become very expensive to buy oem ink just for the chips- and what happens when those are gone...

DTF conversion requires minimal work, reading the forum on these topics will help you understand. 

I found some refillable ink cartilages online or would I be able to use "siss" I believe it's called(please don't quote me lol"? So if I can get the cartilages then what would be my next step will I still need firmware? I tried reading but I keep seeing DTG information.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:57 AM, boyanvasilev88@gmail.com said:

For people on a budget and looking for used machine on their local marketplaces I would add the following models 
that are supported in widely available acrorip for 1 pass Printing.

Up to13x19 Faster

R3000
R2400
R2000
R2880
R1900 (have to double check and update)

Up to 13x19 slower two channels for white so slower compared to above mentioned.

r1390 
r1400 

Up to 17inch widht

R3880
P800 (one time chips for the refill cartridges)

If you get one of these make sure you get yoourself at least 2 sets of cartridges. One to clean the system from original ink. Another for new inks.

Up to 24 inches ( have to double check when i go back home)

Hello it looks like you listed a Stylus 3880 pro as able to do DTF is this correct and if so what would I need to do to convert it? Do I need to build the printer? If I can't find the cartilages is there anything else I can do?

19 minutes ago, Sublove3880 said:

I found some refillable ink cartilages online or would I be able to use "siss" I believe it's called(please don't quote me lol"? So if I can get the cartilages then what would be my next step will I still need firmware? I tried reading but I keep seeing DTG information.

https://www.inkowl.com/wide-format/wide-format-refilling/epson/refillable-cartridge-set-for-epson-stylus-pro-3880/P4866/

seems like it’s possible on the ink carts. You don’t need a CIS ( continuous ink system). 

You need a printer, refillable cartridges( with reset chips or whatever), dtf ink, paper, powder. 

You need to remove the output rollers in the printer, very easy to do. Then you need to build a film output tray. The rollers you remove hold the paper normally. So it needs to sit almost level where the paper comes out, the size of the printers output. The length depends on what you plan on printing in it. 

then you need a way to cure the ink/powder. Heat gun, belt dryer, flash dryer, etc whatever you decide to use. 

other than that, rip software and cleaning supplies. Of course a heat press if you want to use the final product. 

Edited by johnson4

7 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

https://www.inkowl.com/wide-format/wide-format-refilling/epson/refillable-cartridge-set-for-epson-stylus-pro-3880/P4866/

seems like it’s possible on the ink carts. You don’t need a CIS ( continuous ink system). 

You need a printer, refillable cartridges( with reset chips or whatever), dtf ink, paper, powder. 

You need to remove the output rollers in the printer, very easy to do. Then you need to build a film output tray. The rollers you remove hold the paper normally. So it needs to sit almost level where the paper comes out, the size of the printers output. The length depends on what you plan on printing in it. 

then you need a way to cure the ink/powder. Heat gun, belt dryer, flash dryer, etc whatever you decide to use. 

other than that, rip software and cleaning supplies. Of course a heat press if you want to use the final product. 

You're the bomb!! Okay so I have the printer. I can't find much on my 3880 but I'm looking online for a video on removing the output rollers. Now building the film output tray is where I'm lost because I could not locate any info online not even a picture. Is there a specific search term I can use or do you have a example by chance? Now also for the ink from what I read you need special ink. Is there a specific name of the ink and also what is the powder called. I have a heat gun and a press but I'm not sure of what exactly the rip  software is and are the cleaning supplies for the mess I'm about to make or for something else lol. I know its a lot but I really appreciate even what you have answered so far because it has really helped 

10 hours ago, Drodriguez said:

i have an old r2400 HM1 DTG Printer that i only use for CMYK prints would i be able to convert this to a DTF printer (i may have to replace the printhead) 

You could use it to flatbed print it, it would probably be easier to keep it for CMYK prints and find a Epson p400/p600/p800 and use it for DTF. Even some of the cheaper 6 color models would work Well. 

On 18/12/2020 at 8:13, Drodriguez said:

Tengo una vieja impresora DTG r2400 HM1 que solo uso para impresiones CMYK, ¿podría convertir esto en una impresora DTF (es posible que tenga que reemplazar el cabezal de impresión)? 

Hola yo tengo convertida en dtf una epson r2400 hace 2 meses. Con 4 blancos y funciona muy bien la verdad.

Good afternoon, 

I'm new here so please forgive me if my question sounds dumb. I've found all of the accessories for the Epson XP15000 like cartridges and RIP software but not how to actually convert to DTF.

Is there somewhere I can find guidance on how to convert? I've even seen on converted already on dtg pro's website. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Screenshot_20210115-231030_Chrome.jpg

Hello, I have a P800 and I want to use DTF. I read that the P800 has a pressurized ink system, so I have to print every day, otherwise there will be white ink separating in the lines. I plan to print 1-2 times a week. Maybe L1800? Using L1800 ink can be pumped with a syringe. Is L1800 better than P800 for a beginner? Can I use the P800 if I print infrequently?

6 hours ago, Keolot said:

Hello, I have a P800 and I want to use DTF. I read that the P800 has a pressurized ink system, so I have to print every day, otherwise there will be white ink separating in the lines. I plan to print 1-2 times a week. Maybe L1800? Using L1800 ink can be pumped with a syringe. Is L1800 better than P800 for a beginner? Can I use the P800 if I print infrequently?

Any printer with a bulk ink system will suffer the same issue, Which is ink settling. Just do a head clean or two and it should be fine, however, the longer it sits, the more buildup you'll get.  

If you want to avoid wasted ink, use a printer with ink carts, like the P400. Carts sit directly on the head. Once your done printing, load cleaning carts, do one head clean or two and it can sit as long as you want. When you are ready to print again, load ink carts, do a head clean. The p400 uses next to no ink on the head cleans, so ink waste is next to nothing and you always get perfect prints. 

If you print a lot those days, just have an extra set of pre-filled ink carts on standby to swap out.

If not, and you go with bulk ink systems, you'll face the issue you described. 

Personally I went with the p400 with 18ML carts. It seems to do roughly 30 11x10 prints before the ink is about 3/4 gone in one set. 

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Любой принтер с системой большого объема чернил столкнется с той же проблемой, а именно с оседанием чернил. Просто очистите голову или две, и все будет хорошо, однако, чем дольше она сидит, тем больше наростов вы получите.  

Если вы хотите избежать траты чернил, используйте принтер с тележками для чернил, например P400. Тележки сидят прямо на голове. После того, как вы закончите печать, загрузите тележки для чистки, почистите одну или две головки, и она может стоять сколь угодно долго. Когда вы снова будете готовы к печати, загрузите тележки с чернилами и прочистите головку. В p400 чернила практически не используются для очистки головки, поэтому отходы чернил практически отсутствуют, и вы всегда получаете идеальные отпечатки. 

Если в те дни вы много печатаете, просто возьмите дополнительный набор предварительно заполненных чернильных тележек в режиме ожидания, чтобы их можно было заменить.

Если нет, и вы выберете системы объемной подачи чернил, вы столкнетесь с описанной вами проблемой. 

Лично я выбрал p400 с тележками на 18 мл. Кажется, он делает примерно 30 отпечатков 11x10 до того, как чернила уйдут примерно на 3/4 за один комплект. 

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Seguramente pueden ser útiles los siguientes 4 enlaces y tutoriales sobre DTF, especialmente para las máquinas Ecotank Epson de 6 colores:

- RIP DTF gratuito DIGITAL FACTORY de CADlink: https://www.ahorraentinta.es/inicio/5642-descarga-cadlink-version-de-prueba-de-15-dias-free-download.html. Es la versión oficial completa sin coste, durante 15 días.

- Video para modificar una impresora Epson Ecotank L1800 para DTF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0krtFxlGKg

- Video sobre mantenimiento básico de Epson Ecotank L1800 modificada para DTF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg0C_6kIUwA

- Video para descarga y uso del RIP DTF gratuito DIGITAL FACTURY de CADlink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvW95L0u3_0

Edited by Toprint

On 2/17/2021 at 2:39 AM, josualo said:

Hola yo tengo convertida en dtf una epson r2400 hace 2 meses. Con 4 blancos y funciona muy bien la verdad.

Sounds great! I have one too I am trying to convert now. What were your acrorip settings for this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 5:46 PM, Kev K said:

I Have chance to buy any of these printers around the same price, which would be the best choice for DTF printing and why?

My rip software supports all.

1400, 1430, r1800, r1900, r2880

Thank you

Hey, I'm curious as to which software you have that will run the R2880? I'm having trouble finding one.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, MikeMason said:

Hello,

Can the same EKPrint software be used on 2 different dtf printers?

Depends.  Like a p400 and a p600? You’ll need to buy both version of EKprint.

You can do multiple instances and run multiple of the same printer ( like if you had 3 p600 running at once) . I own 3 licenses (p400/p600/p800) and have ran all three at once from the same pc. 

9 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Depends.  Like a p400 and a p600? You’ll need to buy both version of EKprint.

You can do multiple instances and run multiple of the same printer ( like if you had 3 p600 running at once) . I own 3 licenses (p400/p600/p800) and have ran all three at once from the same pc. 

So I have a XP15000 and I'm getting an L1800 today. Is it like an update I need to purchase or do I need to buy the whole program again?

59 minutes ago, MikeMason said:

So I have a XP15000 and I'm getting an L1800 today. Is it like an update I need to purchase or do I need to buy the whole program again?

It’s basically a new license for every version of EKprint. If you purchased EKprint for the 15000, and adding the L1800, then you just buy the one for the L1800 like you did the xp15000. It runs as two different programs. 

kind of the downfall to EKprint, most other programs support a wide range of printers for one price, but you can only print with one at a time. 

ekprint can use both at the same time. It worked well for me, because I have 4 P600 DTG printers and only needed one license. For DTF though, I don’t see running multiple machines. As a necessary on my side anyway.

Edited by johnson4

6 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

It’s basically a new license for every version of EKprint. If you purchased EKprint for the 15000, and adding the L1800, then you just buy the one for the L1800 like you did the xp15000. It runs as two different programs. 

Ok cool.  I don't want to spent another $500

15 minutes ago, MikeMason said:

Ok cool.  I don't want to spent another $500

Who does? Lol. 

you could use another rip program for it, that would work for both, but then that basically makes the first $500 useless.

Ekprint is also non-transferable. So if your PC dies, so does your licenses, the two major downfalls to EKprint, which has happened to me. Any other program uses a dongle and suits many printers and is easily transferred.

all said and done though, it’s well worth it if you take it seriously and sell your product, install it on a dedicated ( new) pc for the best chances of it not failing on you. I’ve made over 800 times the software cost gross since I purchased EKprint. I don’t like acro, and kothari is too expensive for what it is( which is also sold per printer, like EKprint). 

Might check out the new Cadlink software. 

Edited by johnson4

https://dtfsuperstore.com/collections/software/products/cadlink-digitalfactory-10-for-dtf

I'd verify it works for the L1800, I doubt it works for the XP-15000, but it might.

for DTF, I recommend the P400/P600/P800 series for the most compatibility( and support), and quicker print speeds. If you had two of those, You could use one software for both, like cadlink or Acro 10. Personally, I use the P400. 

Edited by johnson4

You can also try the free trial of CADlink here:

https://www.cadlink.com/digital-factory-trials/

I believe it's for 15 days, don't know if it prints watermarks or not

It says it supports the L1800, but not the xp-15000. In reality, I'm pretty sure only ekprint supports the XP-15000.

Good luck, happy printing!

Edited by johnson4

23 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Who does? Lol. 

you could use another rip program for it, that would work for both, but then that basically makes the first $500 useless.

Ekprint is also non-transferable. So if your PC dies, so does your licenses, the two major downfalls to EKprint, which has happened to me. Any other program uses a dongle and suits many printers and is easily transferred.

all said and done though, it’s well worth it if you take it seriously and sell your product, install it on a dedicated ( new) pc for the best chances of it not failing on you. I’ve made over 800 times the software cost gross since I purchased EKprint. I don’t like acro, and kothari is too expensive for what it is( which is also sold per printer, like EKprint). 

Might check out the new Cadlink software. 

Yea that will suck. I make pretty good profit with my business but I'm cheap so I always look for the option. 

4 minutes ago, MikeMason said:

Yea that will suck. I make pretty good profit with my business but I'm cheap so I always look for the option. 

Yea, me too, I'm like the ultimate in cheap.

there isn’t really a way around it unfortunately.

Edited by johnson4