Jump to content

What Printers can be used for DTF?


Recommended Posts

I figured I'd make a post since this is one of the most popular questions right now.

The list of printers that are good for DTF is basically the same as for DIY DTG: 
 https://www.opendtg.com/topic/3-which-printers-to-use-for-diy-dtg/

 

You need an Epson printer with 6-8 colors / ink channels so you can print CMYK + White inks, available refillable cartridges, and compatible RIP software.

The most popular models are going to be the best to use unless you are fine with figuring things out on your own.

L1800 (1430 w/ bulk ink) is used a lot because it's cheap and available outside of the USA. It prints 13x19 but is very slow. 15 minutes plus for a full print. 6 channel printhead

P400 is at least 3 times faster than the L1800 / 1430 because it is a 8 channel DX5 printhead. Ink cartridges or CISS plug in right on top of the printhead so there is easy access to the head and not much wasted ink to flush the printhead out when the printer needs to sit for days without use. 13x19 max print size

P600 is fast like the p400 with a 8 channel DX7 printhead. It is better if you're printing daily with volume because of the built in pressurized ink system and available 80ml cartridges.  Because of the ink system not using often will cause white ink separation in the lines and you'll have to waste ink to get it out. 13x19 max print size

P800 has a wider 17" print width. It too have a ink system built in like the P600.

 

Many of these models are discontinued but places like OpenDTG have a stock of them.

 

NEW Epson P700 and P900. These aren't good for DTF / DTG yet because there is not refillable ink cartridges or RIP software for them yet.

 

There are older and smaller model Epson printers that will work. Some of them are listed here on the DIY DTG list: https://www.opendtg.com/topic/3-which-printers-to-use-for-diy-dtg/

Feel free to comment below with more models or information.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For people on a budget and looking for used machine on their local marketplaces I would add the following models 
that are supported in widely available acrorip for 1 pass Printing.

Up to13x19 Faster

R3000
R2400
R2000
R2880
R1900 (have to double check and update)

Up to 13x19 slower two channels for white so slower compared to above mentioned.

r1390 
r1400 

Up to 17inch widht

R3880
P800 (one time chips for the refill cartridges)

If you get one of these make sure you get yoourself at least 2 sets of cartridges. One to clean the system from original ink. Another for new inks.

Up to 24 inches ( have to double check when i go back home)

 

 

Edited by boyanvasilev88@gmail.com
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 4:57 PM, boyanvasilev88@gmail.com said:

For people on a budget and looking for used machine on their local marketplaces I would add the following models 
that are supported in widely available acrorip for 1 pass Printing.

Up to13x19 Faster

R3000
R2400
R2000
R2880
R1900 (have to double check and update)

Up to 13x19 slower two channels for white so slower compared to above mentioned.

r1390 
r1400 

Up to 17inch widht

R3880
P800 (one time chips for the refill cartridges)

If you get one of these make sure you get yoourself at least 2 sets of cartridges. One to clean the system from original ink. Another for new inks.

Up to 24 inches ( have to double check when i go back home)

 

 

Hi,

Are you able to provide any more information on converting an Epson 2880?

 

thanks a lot!

 

Will

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Love2print said:

Hi,

Are you able to provide any more information on converting an Epson 2880?

 

thanks a lot!

 

Will

For DTF it's going to be the same principle across all of the printers. 

 

1.Remove the " Pizza Wheels" from the printer, however you need to do that. 

2. build an output tray to hold/support the film, the "pizza wheels" you removed used to do that.

3. obtain ARC cartridges ( auto reset) or chipless firmware and empty carts.

4. Obtain RIP software

5. Install Ink Waste Tank or if it has a stock replaceable waste pad, you can use that too.

6. Buy DTF supplies from Andy

 

That's it other than a heat press and heat gun or some other curing method.

 

I don't think anyone will make a break down or " how to" for each and every printer, But it's not complicated you just have to get in there an do it.

Edited by johnson4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Super clear, thanks a lot for coming back to me.

I also realised in the “Which printers can convert to DTF list” that Epson Stylus 2100 was not there.

l wonder why that was? (Not to be confused with Epson F2100 DTG)

 

Cheers again :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, Love2print said:

Super clear, thanks a lot for coming back to me.

I also realised in the “Which printers can convert to DTF list” that Epson Stylus 2100 was not there.

l wonder why that was? (Not to be confused with Epson F2100 DTG)

 

Cheers again :)

 

Because its not supported by the Rip software for 1 pass. 
Otherwise always start with 2 set of cartridges. In you cass 1 set of cartridges and 1 bulk in system. In case you need to do cleaning. I might have them handy but have to double check. Pm me so i dont forget

Edited by boyanvasilev88@gmail.com
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Pastor Joey said:

Sorry guys I almost bought a r3000 but really interested in an Epson 9600 I've seen for same price. Can someone please let me know which is best. I would like to do multiple prints at once if possible. 

Can you find a rip program and refillable carts? If so go for it. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Andy - Admin changed the title to What Printers can be used for DTF?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...