What Printers can be used for DTF?

I figured I'd make a post since this is one of the most popular questions right now.

The list of printers that are good for DTF is basically the same as for DIY DTG: 
 https://www.opendtg.com/topic/3-which-printers-to-use-for-diy-dtg/

You need an Epson printer with 6-8 colors / ink channels so you can print CMYK + White inks, available refillable cartridges, and compatible RIP software.

The most popular models are going to be the best to use unless you are fine with figuring things out on your own.

L1800 (1430 w/ bulk ink) is used a lot because it's cheap and available outside of the USA. It prints 13x19 but is very slow. 15 minutes plus for a full print. 6 channel printhead

P400 is at least 3 times faster than the L1800 / 1430 because it is a 8 channel DX5 printhead. Ink cartridges or CISS plug in right on top of the printhead so there is easy access to the head and not much wasted ink to flush the printhead out when the printer needs to sit for days without use. 13x19 max print size

P600 is fast like the p400 with a 8 channel DX7 printhead. It is better if you're printing daily with volume because of the built in pressurized ink system and available 80ml cartridges.  Because of the ink system not using often will cause white ink separation in the lines and you'll have to waste ink to get it out. 13x19 max print size

P800 has a wider 17" print width. It too have a ink system built in like the P600.

Many of these models are discontinued but places like OpenDTG have a stock of them.

NEW Epson P700 and P900. These aren't good for DTF / DTG yet because there is not refillable ink cartridges or RIP software for them yet.

There are older and smaller model Epson printers that will work. Some of them are listed here on the DIY DTG list: https://www.opendtg.com/topic/3-which-printers-to-use-for-diy-dtg/

Feel free to comment below with more models or information.

• Like 3

For people on a budget and looking for used machine on their local marketplaces I would add the following models 
that are supported in widely available acrorip for 1 pass Printing.

Up to13x19 Faster

R3000
R2400
R2000
R2880
R1900 (have to double check and update)

Up to 13x19 slower two channels for white so slower compared to above mentioned.

r1390 
r1400 

Up to 17inch widht

R3880
P800 (one time chips for the refill cartridges)

If you get one of these make sure you get yoourself at least 2 sets of cartridges. One to clean the system from original ink. Another for new inks.

Up to 24 inches ( have to double check when i go back home)

Edited by boyanvasilev88@gmail.com
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 4:57 PM, boyanvasilev88@gmail.com said:

For people on a budget and looking for used machine on their local marketplaces I would add the following models 

Up to13x19 Faster

R3000
R2400
R2000
R2880

Up to 13x19 slower two channels for white so slower compared to above mentioned.

r1390 
r1400 

Up to 17inch widht

R3880

If you get one of these make sure you get yoourself at least 2 sets of cartridges. One to clean the system from original ink. Another for new inks.

Hi,

Are you able to provide any more information on converting an Epson 2880?

thanks a lot!

Will

2 hours ago, Love2print said:

Hi,

Are you able to provide any more information on converting an Epson 2880?

thanks a lot!

Will

For DTF it's going to be the same principle across all of the printers. 

1.Remove the " Pizza Wheels" from the printer, however you need to do that. 

2. build an output tray to hold/support the film, the "pizza wheels" you removed used to do that.

3. obtain ARC cartridges ( auto reset) or chipless firmware and empty carts.

4. Obtain RIP software

5. Install Ink Waste Tank or if it has a stock replaceable waste pad, you can use that too.

6. Buy DTF supplies from Andy

That's it other than a heat press and heat gun or some other curing method.

I don't think anyone will make a break down or " how to" for each and every printer, But it's not complicated you just have to get in there an do it.

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, Love2print said:

Super clear, thanks a lot for coming back to me.

I also realised in the “Which printers can convert to DTF list” that Epson Stylus 2100 was not there.

l wonder why that was? (Not to be confused with Epson F2100 DTG)

Cheers again :)

Because its not supported by the Rip software for 1 pass. 
Otherwise always start with 2 set of cartridges. In you cass 1 set of cartridges and 1 bulk in system. In case you need to do cleaning. I might have them handy but have to double check. Pm me so i dont forget

Edited by boyanvasilev88@gmail.com

39 minutes ago, Pastor Joey said:

Sorry guys I almost bought a r3000 but really interested in an Epson 9600 I've seen for same price. Can someone please let me know which is best. I would like to do multiple prints at once if possible. 

Can you find a rip program and refillable carts? If so go for it. 

• Andy - Admin changed the title to What Printers can be used for DTF?
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Kev K said:

Can a Epson R1800 be used for DTF, It is on the Acrorip list. Looks like 8 colors, so CMYK+WWWW ?

Anyone using this with a CISS ?

How would the speed be ?

Thank You

I think it have dx5 printhead, with ciss it would be usable. You will need catridge reset often thou, which stops you for a few minutes. But printhead speed is one of the best on par with p600.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kev K said:

Can a Epson R1800 be used for DTF, It is on the Acrorip list. Looks like 8 colors, so CMYK+WWWW ?

Anyone using this with a CISS ?

How would the speed be ?

Thank You

I’ve used the p400 with 10ml carts. I got 30 prints 8x10 before I had to stop and refill them with DTF. I would recommend just having two sets of refillable carts and swap them when needed. Easier to refill with a syringe than keep all the ink mixed up in the ciss and tubing, not to mention the proper height. It’s rather annoying, messy, and overall a huge PITA in comparison to just having a spare set of cartridges ready to go with ink, In my opinion. If your looking to print a lot, and fast, probably not the best printer to go with. 

Edited by johnson4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kev K said:

Proper height ?

is this something I need to set to do DTF?

I know about front pizza roller removal and table tray, Also maybe a waist bottle. What else am i missing?

Thank you

Nothing really, cartridges, ink, film, maybe Chipless if available for the printer, and all the stuff you need to process them like powder, a flash dryer/belt dryer/etc. 

the conversion to dtf is pretty basic, depending on how far you want to go to make it easier on yourself in the future. 

On 10/23/2020 at 11:57 AM, boyanvasilev88@gmail.com said:

Up to13x19 Faster

R3000
R2400
R2000
R2880

r1390 
r1400 

Up to 17inch widht

R3880

Hello, 

It looks like I my Epson Stylus 3880  can be used for DTF if I'm understanding. It looks like it maybe the older model of the p800???? I'm getting a little okay a lot overwhelmed. If you or anyone can help I would appreciate it.  If so what is the first step and I mean I just need my hand held here. Do I have to re-build my printer, order a kit? I'm just not understanding so if anyone can help me make sense of DTF I would really appreciate it. When I purchased the printer someone suggested DTF but I had no idea this beautiful world existed here.  

3 hours ago, Sublove3880 said:

Hello, 

It looks like I my Epson Stylus 3880  can be used for DTF if I'm understanding. It looks like it maybe the older model of the p800???? I'm getting a little okay a lot overwhelmed. If you or anyone can help I would appreciate it.  If so what is the first step and I mean I just need my hand held here. Do I have to re-build my printer, order a kit? I'm just not understanding so if anyone can help me make sense of DTF I would really appreciate it. When I purchased the printer someone suggested DTF but I had no idea this beautiful world existed here.  

From my understanding, no Chipless firmware or refillable carts exist for the 3880, as another user did this and had to use the chips from OEM carts, unless I’m mistaken. If that is true, it would become very expensive to buy oem ink just for the chips- and what happens when those are gone...

DTF conversion requires minimal work, reading the forum on these topics will help you understand. 

Edited by johnson4