P600 DTF Printer

2 hours ago, Andy - Admin said:

Any prints you can show us?

I’m still working on the ink settings in EK. I only put two white ink in the P800 for the time being. 

one thing to note, at least from my speculation, both the transfer film and the powder need to be in a sealed container, kept away from high humidity. 

aside from that, I love the feel of the prints, and the resolution is nice too. I think the biggest things with this, would be ink settings, and dealing with the powder. The final print isn’t glossy like you would imagine. 

93393BA7-E263-4433-9B6A-A1BFDEAB0679.jpeg

B837819A-5B88-48A0-AA92-379DDB55D2E2.jpeg

9EB1D45B-85E2-40EF-9224-AC887C2F782E.jpeg

BC653A38-C622-4E41-B461-A17514BB3BA8.jpeg

A7338C7D-1F55-490A-963B-5B5C03126822.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, skwakk said:

Can you do hot peel with it? I think that would produce a softer hand right?

Hot peel wouldn’t be possible, the polymer needs to cool to stick to the substrate. 

in my opinion, it’s softer and smoother than MY normal dtg prints with a white under base. It’s comparable to a heat pressed plastisol print ( not belt dried, those are a bit rough) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skwakk said:

the modified printer from Hobby Print was retrofitted with a level platform on the output tray. Is that really necessary? Will the slightly angled built-in epson tray ruin the print?

Yea, the film is super thin, so that downward angle makes it bow in the center, which happens to be at the printhead as Andy stated. It’s supported by the feeding roller right before the printhead, and the “ pizza wheels” ( I call tell them that because of the way they look, the photo community also calls it that) support it after, until you remove them. 

9 minutes ago, Andy - Admin said:

Wow those are looking great. 

That’s why I like seeing customer prints. They’re always better than mine. 

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’ll admit, I shocked myself. I do plan on sharing some more, and on different substrates as soon as I can. 

i think I understand now why they call it Plastisol though, the final print feels like a super smooth plastisol.

that elephant in the photo is usually printed on white garments, the “ dots” and detail get lost with DTG to some degree, at least for me. The DTF picked up and kept 95% of that detail though, I didn’t expect that. so far I only really have maybe 3 hours of time spent on the actual printing part, but I feel like I’ll probably end up recommending/keeping it depending on my wash tests. 

24 minutes ago, servo386 said:

Those look really good.

Any dimensions or specs on that tray platform thing for the print exit?

Thanks, I used the P800 because I couldn’t find any P600’s, so I’m not sure, Andy probably does though. Basically you just need to support the paper, Whatever the height difference is between the output roller to the top of the tray, give yourself enough room for it to eject though. Personally I used a 1/2 piece of wood( it’s not actually 1/2, and it doesn’t fit perfect), Which is supported by the output tray. It’s all I had in arms reach to get to printing.

Edited by johnson4

Sharing this info from Vator DTF indonesia group. There are 2 types of PET film. (via Google translate)

"A little more sharing for the type of DTF Pet Film. So from the results of the introduction of several factories, there are indeed 2 types of cold peel pet films, namely: 

1. Pet Film which has a rather thick coating layer so that it can accommodate more ink with a thick setting or a high speed printer that needs faster ink absorption. The coating character will blend with the ink and when it is removed it will come off, giving an additional layer over the ink surface with an effect like a slippery wax coating. Cold Peel type, so it is removed when it is cold and a little slow because the coating will come off with the ink. An example of this Pet Film is the MTX V8 brand that Hobby Print sells. 

2. Pet Film that has a coating that is a bit thin but still absorbs ink well. This Pet Film character coating when heated will separate from the ink so it is very easy to remove, very suitable for DTF screen printing for logos or very small letters. Coating does not come off with ink so that the screen printing relies on the strength of the ink itself. An example of this Pet Film is the Image Seven brand that Hobby Print sells."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wind Studio said:

Sharing this info from Vator DTF indonesia group. There are 2 types of PET film. (via Google translate)

"A little more sharing for the type of DTF Pet Film. So from the results of the introduction of several factories, there are indeed 2 types of cold peel pet films, namely: 

1. Pet Film which has a rather thick coating layer so that it can accommodate more ink with a thick setting or a high speed printer that needs faster ink absorption. The coating character will blend with the ink and when it is removed it will come off, giving an additional layer over the ink surface with an effect like a slippery wax coating. Cold Peel type, so it is removed when it is cold and a little slow because the coating will come off with the ink. An example of this Pet Film is the MTX V8 brand that Hobby Print sells. 

2. Pet Film that has a coating that is a bit thin but still absorbs ink well. This Pet Film character coating when heated will separate from the ink so it is very easy to remove, very suitable for DTF screen printing for logos or very small letters. Coating does not come off with ink so that the screen printing relies on the strength of the ink itself. An example of this Pet Film is the Image Seven brand that Hobby Print sells."

Wow very interesting information, thanks for the research. I imagine the film that comes off with the ink will leave a much heavier, vinyl feel than the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wind Studio said:

Interesting for sure, thank you.

39 minutes ago, ddelgrande said:

So if I was to use my DIY DTG P600 would I only have to change the inks to print DTG?

The reason I ask is I'm interesting in printing white and wonder if DTF is less harsh on the printhead. 

Swapping the inks and making your printhead really close to the transfer paper should do the trick. I haven't any experience with how well the white works in terms of longtivity and maintenance compared to DTG ink. I'd assume it would take less maintenance and be more forgiving given DTF printers don't allow access to the bottom of the printhead. But I really don't know.  

Edited by johnson4

3 hours ago, ddelgrande said:

So if I was to use my DIY DTG P600 would I only have to change the inks to print DTG?

The reason I ask is I'm interesting in printing white and wonder if DTF is less harsh on the printhead. 

It's supposed to be more forgiving.  I just left 1 of our 2 printers with DTF inks sit for 5 days. The white was watery and I had to do an ink charge but got a good nozzle check.

Hum, 5 days sounds like it may be worth a shot.  

I'm interested in printing just simple white images.  Since I just fool around with this stuff I can be a guinea pig to a certain extent.  I don't have the time right now but hopefully in a couple of months I can give it a shot and report back. 

On 10/11/2020 at 8:45 PM, Andy - Admin said:

Yes just like the L1800 video from Hobby Print plus I added our DTG cover with the cut outs.

I haven't tested storing for later. I'm sure there is a shelf life just like screen print transfers get old after a while

Do I have to remove the ink system to get to the rollers on the Epson 3800?

2 hours ago, JaRugz said:

Do I have to remove the ink system to get to the rollers on the Epson 3800?

No need to remove the ink system. It will be inconvenient, but you can remove them, watch the video from Hobby Print and pay attention to how the rollers are attached. do not be afraid you will succeed!

Edited by uhim