How to convert an Epson printer to (DTF) Direct to Film Printer

11 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Yes it does. The heads are very expensive though. I would consider it disposable. 

Would you recommend against it because of this? I am also considering Epson P400 and P600. Out of the three, which do you recommend? I have been looking at printers for what feels like an eternity now and can't seem to figure out which one of the three I should purchase. I also wanted to ask, am I correct in the understanding that it does not matter if the printer has been used with regular ink before? Like, I could still convert a printer that has had regular ink ran through it? I know when converting an Epson to sublimation it does matter but It seems like it doesn't when it comes to DTF. Sorry if that is a dumb question, I just want to cover all my bases as a beginner. Thank you!!!

10 hours ago, Carol12345 said:

Would you recommend against it because of this? I am also considering Epson P400 and P600. Out of the three, which do you recommend? I have been looking at printers for what feels like an eternity now and can't seem to figure out which one of the three I should purchase. I also wanted to ask, am I correct in the understanding that it does not matter if the printer has been used with regular ink before? Like, I could still convert a printer that has had regular ink ran through it? I know when converting an Epson to sublimation it does matter but It seems like it doesn't when it comes to DTF. Sorry if that is a dumb question, I just want to cover all my bases as a beginner. Thank you!!!

As for the printer you want, the P400 is the new R2000, which has also been discontinued, but recently. You can generally find the heads for the p400 for $600 or so. Epson will sell you one new head per printer serial number. 

I think it depends on your printing needs. The p400/R2000 are good for print and sit situations. Cartridges in the head so no ink lines to worry about. You can swap in cleaning carts and 2 head cleans later, a clean wiper and cap top- it can sit for quite awhile and be just fine. Like months. 

the downside, you’ll need multiple sets of carts because they’ll run out every 25-30 prints. I just had several sets in rotation and refilled them all at once. 

as for the p600, I think it’s the worst one. It’s a great printer, but the ink manifold is garbage on it. Once it’s loaded with ink, you have to print daily or almost daily unless you want to waste ALOT of ink and time. 

the reason the p600 is Iike this, it’s ink manifold holds ALOT of ink. Epsons version of “pressurized” ink system for this printer sucks for aftermarket inks. It has tiny holes and rubber valves in the manifold that get white ink settlement built up and quits working right. So, basically if you let the ink separate inside the printer, which only takes 24-48 hours, you’ll be doing head clean after head clean to get rid of that watery white ink. After awhile, this cost adds up, and so does the white ink “sludge” left behind. Once it builds up enough it just stops working efficiently and you’ll start getting clogs and watery prints more Often. 

That manifold isn’t easy to change and is $200+. $275 from Epson directly. 

basically, the p600 should be run nearly every day once ink is loaded, unlike the p400. 

the p800 in the other hand, actually utilizes a pressurized cartridge system and the ink manifold is a straight path. So the p800 can sit for days, and never suffer from the ink settling issue. Worst case scenario, you do 1-2 cleans and it’s good to go- as long as you kept up with keeping the wiper and cap top clean. 

to give you an example, I’ve went through about 10 p600’s over the years. All suffered when sitting even overnight at times because of the manifold. The p800,  45 days unused with White ink, as long as the wiper/cap is clean and well maintained, 1-2 cleans and it is good to go with no ill effects. 

so, in reality it depends on what you are going to do. If you print more than 20-25 daily, I’d go with the p600. If you print less than 25 every other day, I’d go with the p400. 

if you want the best of both worlds, get a p800, in my opinion. 

As for being used, no it doesn’t matter you can flush the ink. It doesn’t matter with sublimation either. I’ve seen people routinely use the p400 for oem ink, switch it to sublimation ink, and even switch it DTF inks, back and forth in a whim, just run cleaning carts before swapping. 

the downside to used, it’s service life will be shorter, since it’s used. If it has 100 prints or 10,000, the printheads and capping station assemblies are only good for so long/ so much. But if it’s priced right, I’d go for it. 

Edited by johnson4

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, Helbe2 said:

Hello! 

I got a great deal on an Epson SureColor p6000 and would like to convert it to a DTF Printer... any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Check if it have refillable catridges and resetter for catridges and maintaince tanks.

Also i would advise you to stay away from used ones. Cap mechanism and printhead is a bit troublemaker if someone messed with it beforehand.

48 minutes ago, anum11 said:

Check if it have refillable catridges and resetter for catridges and maintaince tanks.

Also i would advise you to stay away from used ones. Cap mechanism and printhead is a bit troublemaker if someone messed with it beforehand.

The P6000 EU has resetter carts, the US version only has replacment chips, as far as I can find. I'd personally try to reset them. The p5000 said the same thing and EU stuff works on it. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:00 PM, johnson4 said:

The P6000 EU has resetter carts, the US version only has replacment chips, as far as I can find. I'd personally try to reset them. The p5000 said the same thing and EU stuff works on it. 

Thanks for the reply! Are you saying to buy the EU chip resetter and reset the cartridges that I buy to refill?  Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I literally am brand new to this. Thanks

On 7/6/2022 at 7:22 PM, Helbe2 said:

Thanks for the reply! Are you saying to buy the EU chip resetter and reset the cartridges that I buy to refill?  Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I literally am brand new to this. Thanks

I am saying the EU printer model supports the resetter and chips. The US model printer does not. 

For the US model you would need to use one time use chips, which make it nearly impossible to remain profitable depending on how much you can get them for. 

the Europe models usually all have these types of things release for them, while the US versions do not. 

They make money on the ink and it's all about the Benjamin's. One set of ink for a P5000 costs $700 less than the entire brand new printer bundle for example.  

Edited by johnson4

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Elva said:

On the P6000 do you know the ink cartridge sequence?

Should be whatever you want it to be, both supporting rips have adjustable channel colors. Generally CMYK is CMYK, the “light” is white. Then you have one switching channel with cleaner if it has the 9th cartridge. 

Edited by johnson4

• 2 months later...