How to convert an Epson printer to (DTF) Direct to Film Printer

2 hours ago, therui said:

thanks but i need to put the part in 

where i took the rollers from?

If your following the video just do what they did. 

you really only need to remove the rollers, usually takes less than 3-5 minutes just by popping them off with no dissembling. If you want to remove the entire mechanism that works too. You can remove everything on the front related to the paper, including the metal bracket the roller wheels were on, paper tray, and front media loading. 

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

Good morning, I see that the mechanical modification is simple, and I see that you have to buy a RIP program, is it very expensive? How feasible is the modification of the printer to DTF, does it present many problems? I have heard that the heads get stuck, is there a solution for that? I am new to this DTF issue, I found out until yesterday but I am interested in knowing more about it.

Buenos dias, veo que la modificación mecanica es sencilla, y veo que hay que comprar unprograma RIP, es muy costoso? , que tan viable es la modificación de la impresora a DTF, presenta muchos problemas? he escuchado que los cabezales se atascan, hay solución para eso?, soy nuevo en este tema de DTF, hasta ayer me entere pero me interesa saber mas del tema

1 hour ago, Diego said:

Good morning, I see that the mechanical modification is simple, and I see that you have to buy a RIP program, is it very expensive? How feasible is the modification of the printer to DTF, does it present many problems? I have heard that the heads get stuck, is there a solution for that? I am new to this DTF issue, I found out until yesterday but I am interested in knowing more about it.

Buenos dias, veo que la modificación mecanica es sencilla, y veo que hay que comprar unprograma RIP, es muy costoso? , que tan viable es la modificación de la impresora a DTF, presenta muchos problemas? he escuchado que los cabezales se atascan, hay solución para eso?, soy nuevo en este tema de DTF, hasta ayer me entere pero me interesa saber mas del tema

Super easy, it makes you money, so it’ll cost something. Rips are $0-$1,000. Your choice. 

heads get stuck? What does that even mean? 

DTF works great and so far has been the easiest and cheapest method to use for initial set-up. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Zigotti said:

What about the Epson stylus pro 3880? Do you know of any good RIP softwares for the white under base or DTF application. Also recommended any DTF papers or inks?? 

P.S. New to the DTG scene, and it is tough

DTF is pretty simple, use a supported printer, or buy one. Remove the rollers and make an output tray. 

buy your Chipless/refillable ink cartridges

buy ink, powder, film from Andy. Even EKprint if you want. some curing source and a heat press. Boom. 

that’s pretty much the sum of DTF. 

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, trublu289 said:

I'm just now finding out about this pretty much at the end of my 1430 dtg conversion.  Just out of curiosity would I be able to just get the height at about 2mm and print onto the film from a platten?

Yea, you could. You need DTF ink though. You could swap carts and use it for both, that would be a nice feature.  Since DTG quality is still better, just less versatile.

Edited by johnson4

4 hours ago, Joker said:

Hi there I bought a xp-15000 to transform in dtf, but now I don't know what to do I took the rollers out and now I'm stucked with the ink what should I do and what should I use to set it up properly? 

Use refillable carts and load them with DTF ink.

Check your rip to see if it needs to be in a specific order, with the carts in the head it’s an easy change if you need to swap them. Ekprint you can select each channel color individually so it doesn’t matter

8 hours ago, johnson4 said:

Use refillable carts and load them with DTF ink.

Check your rip to see if it needs to be in a specific order, with the carts in the head it’s an easy change if you need to swap them. Ekprint you can select each channel color individually so it doesn’t matter

Ha OK, I thought it would be much harder than that, is there any good brand for the Dtf ink? 

And thanks for the reply and help. 

6 hours ago, johnson4 said:

I use Andy’s and it works well, I haven’t tried other brands, his is a fantastic price, half of DTG ink, quick delivery. 

I would try them, but I'm living in Europe and the imports of Andy's ink is to expensive. 

1 hour ago, Joker said:

Hi guys I'm setting up a Epson xp-15000 for dtf I just checked I doesn't have white what should I do?

Should I put it in the Grey slot? 

Doesn’t matter, the original configuration won’t be used again once you load white ink.

CMYKWW would work. Just ignore the rest.

Edited by johnson4

• 2 weeks later...