How to convert an Epson printer to (DTF) Direct to Film Printer

hi comunity!
hope you  can help me with this cuestions.

.-    I want convert a epson r1900 to  'DTF' system, i have a brand new printer and ciss system, 

do i need to removal of the front rollers in a epson r1900 i dont know if they do have. or what do i need to convert ir to DTF?

.-  some one have use a r1900  fot  dtg or dtf  and have some problems  clogging with the inks?

and my other cuestion is, if its better the p600 or the l1800  for  dtf?
because i have read  that the p600 have 
180 nozzles  and the l1800 have 90 nozzles,
it's that correct? if it is, the more nozzles the print head have, is less probability for  clogging,  rigth?

Hi Andy. I like the topic about this thing called dtf with epson l1800. You posted a video if someone converting the epson into dtf. Is that all you need to do is take it apart and put it together? Or is there more to it. I wanted to get into that because the dtg is too expensive. Thanks

13 hours ago, Mike555 said:

Hi Andy. I like the topic about this thing called dtf with epson l1800. You posted a video if someone converting the epson into dtf. Is that all you need to do is take it apart and put it together? Or is there more to it. I wanted to get into that because the dtg is too expensive. Thanks

It's all a bit pricey, But yes, the basic concept is to remove the rollers from the printer ( You don't really need to take them apart, at least the models i've done). 

1. remove rollers

2. make output tray for film to set on as it comes out ( you  need it, if you think you don't you'll find out why soon enough)

3. all the supplies, heat press, conveyer dryer or whatever else. 

4. rip software

It has been outlined numerous times through the forum, for the most part you won't really receive answers for redundant questions. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mike555 said:

4 hours ago, johnson4 said:

It's all a bit pricey, But yes, the basic concept is to remove the rollers from the printer ( You don't really need to take them apart, at least the models i've done). 

1. remove rollers

2. make output tray for film to set on as it comes out ( you  need it, if you think you don't you'll find out why soon enough)

4. rip software

It has been outlined numerous times through the forum, for the most part you won't really receive answers for redundant questions. 

3 hours ago, Mike555 said:

Thanks. This is my first time hearing about dtf. I was reading on this thread or another. Does the the L1800 or p400 p600 p800 need a waste bottle? And which is easier to maintain  or use? 

The p800 has a built in removable waste pad. I just empty it and use it as a waste tank, the others, a bottle would be recommended. 

At the end of the day they all work, some are faster, some are more expensive to replace parts. You'll eventually need a new print head, each one of those have their own costs. 

There is no " best" for every scenario, the differences of the printers are outlined here, and within their own specs listed by Epson. 

On 11/20/2020 at 7:32 AM, johnson4 said:

1. remove rollers

4. rip software

I'm reading about the L1800, and I cant find "why" the output tray. what is the magic behind it?
Thanks in advance :)

1. remove rollers

4. rip software

1. remove rollers

4. rip software

I'm reading about the Epson L1800 and I still dont understand "why" is needed the output tray for the film. which is the magic behind it?

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

I'm reading about the Epson L1800 and I still dont understand "why" is needed the output tray for the film. which is the magic behind it?

Number 2 above explains it. That’s all it does. Rollers used to do it, until you remove them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have an Epson 1400 printer that I bought about a year ago to print films for screen printing. I've never used it. So my question is: can it be converted to a DTF printer and is there a link someone can send me to do it? I'm really excited to see I perhaps didn't waste my money not using this printer

They are all the same basic concept. Remove the rollers after the printhead. Make a paper tray or something to support the paper( the job of the rollers you just removed). 

that’s it. Add a waste tank if you want, everything else is basic knowledge. Refillable carts, rip software, etc. 

2 hours ago, Lenny A said:

So Question, if I can use a Epson 1400 for DTF printing how does it print white ink? Is black replaced with the white? I don't understand....please advise

It’s the same as a DTG printer in that aspect  CMYK plus white. So in your case CMYK+WW.