How to convert an Epson printer to (DTF) Direct to Film Printer

• Andy - Admin changed the title to How to convert an Epson printer to (DTF) Direct to Film Printer
2 hours ago, Printboy said:

Why are the printers that people talk about for DTF mostly seem discontinued? P600, P400. 

Why aren’t we talking about the P700 p800 or p900 more than the p600/p400?

Trying to do my research before I buy a printer 

Because the new models don't have RIP software or refillable cartridges yet

1 hour ago, Andy - Admin said:

Because the new models don't have RIP software or refillable cartridges yet

* Didnt a guy post pictures of his prints on a p800? Does this mean its possible without a rip? Or does the p800 have a rip already? Is there a list of rips that you sell?

* Is refillable cartridges just about buying third party refillable cartridges, like we did with our other Epsons?

3 hours ago, Printboy said:

* Didnt a guy post pictures of his prints on a p800? Does this mean its possible without a rip? Or does the p800 have a rip already? Is there a list of rips that you sell?

* Is refillable cartridges just about buying third party refillable cartridges, like we did with our other Epsons?

The p800 is an older model, right there with the P600 and the newer but still discontinued( I think) P400. 

The main issue is someone making the printer usable for anything other than OEM ink. You need a way to use aftermarket inks. Epson locks their printers to their ink cartridges, especially these newer models. After a reliable chipless solution comes out, OR ARC ( Auto reset chips) come out for that specific printer model, then it's practically useless to use. You would have to buy a new OEM epson ink cartridge to harvest only the ink chip from to use aftermarket inks.

Same kinda goes for the rip. Company's probably won't dedicate the time modifying software to work with the new printer without chipless ink, since no one ( or next to no one) would use it. It's not really necessary with OEM ink. Even when chipless comes out, the software provider would still need to see a return on investment on offering their software to work with another printer, so I'd imagine it would have to be a " group" type of thing to get a new RIP for a new printer. 

Basically, When the printer is ready for market, and it's being used and the programs/chipless are sought after, Then they are produced.

Edited by johnson4
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jonmusa said:

i have a question if you could help... what is the order of the ink for DTF on the p600 how many cartridges of white ink and with  what color  i fill cartridge number 9

I have mine exactly like the DTG printers. 

If you look at Andy's listing photo, He has his CMYK+WWWW The last one is just filled with a light cleaning solution or distilled water. It's only used when the printer does an ink charge. I use Distilled water. Don't want that damper switch going bad or drying out- or serious head clogs because of air getting in there with an ink charge when the printer purges matte black. I however Am not sure what Andy recommends being placed in there with DTF inks. I'd imagine cleaning solution. 

Edited by johnson4

3 hours ago, Printboy said:

I Forgot the list: 

For EKprint they support:

Supports C88/WF7010/1100/T60/P50/R230/R800/L805/L1300/L1800/R1290/R1390/R1400/XP15000/R1800/R1900/P400/P600/P800 based DTG/DTF printers

· Supports R2000/R2100/R2200/R2400/R2880/R3000/R3800/R3880/R4800/R4880/R4900/R4910/R7600/R7800/R7880/R9600/R9800/R9880 based DTG/DTF printers

For Kothari that Andy sells: P600- P800-P400-L1800. I know more exist, That would be a question from someone else for a full list.

For AcroRip it just says " most are supported". 

Now that list is just for the RIP software, It doesn't mean that you can find the printer anymore, or that it will work for DTF or DTG specifically. The printer mainly supported by OPENDTG would be the P600, since it is the most cost efficient, and best choice for DTG. I'd imagine same goes for DTF. Having thousands of people using the P600 for DTG, Almost every issue/error has been well documented and it will be easy on you. The printer is a workhorse. While I haven't had any problems with the P800 DTG I have, It is slower but features the same printhead. The main difference is the print size, and OEM cartridge size. You will find almost every printer offers different pros and cons for aftermarket use. If you decide to go buy an Epson 7710 or something  for example and try to DTF with it and run into problems, You probably won't get any support, since no one has experience with it.

Here's a question: is using refillable cartridges for a 1430 enough for DTF, knowing that I'd have to refill them very often, or is a ciss necessary? I have one of those common ones you see everywhere, that the front flips down to reveal the bottles. The previous owner of one of the 1430's I got had it connected for sublimation ink. I removed it and put it some cheap aftermarket ink to clean out and test print the unit, and I'm not particularly enthused about putting it back in, since my attempts to clean out the sublimation ink of it has been more difficult than I imagined. If I don't have to, I'd rather just use refillable carts.

3 hours ago, servo386 said:

Here's a question: is using refillable cartridges for a 1430 enough for DTF, knowing that I'd have to refill them very often, or is a ciss necessary? I have one of those common ones you see everywhere, that the front flips down to reveal the bottles. The previous owner of one of the 1430's I got had it connected for sublimation ink. I removed it and put it some cheap aftermarket ink to clean out and test print the unit, and I'm not particularly enthused about putting it back in, since my attempts to clean out the sublimation ink of it has been more difficult than I imagined. If I don't have to, I'd rather just use refillable carts.

I would use a CISS for the 1430.

7 hours ago, servo386 said:

The P400 has 14ML ink cartridges, and the 1430 has 11ML ink carts from what I can find, so not too far off from each other. 

I used the refillable, and I remember immediately needing to use a CISS. If the CISS had ink in it before, it would probably be best to buy a new one. I guess you could flush it with distilled water, then flush out the distilled water with air and let it air dry. I Strongly disliked the Ciss, for already mentioned reasons, Plus the fact that it was almost impossible to "shake" the white ink. I ended up making a " shelf" for it to sit on with a " strap" that held it on the shelf so I could take it off daily and shake it and it could go back in the exact same position.

35 minutes ago, LADYLINEN said:

Is there any rip software that supports newer printers like P6000 or similar?

I can check with Kothari.  Make sure the ink cartridges will be available and affordable. Some of those models have refillable cartridges but the chips are 1 time use and expensive.

11 minutes ago, Andy - Admin said:

I can check with Kothari.  Make sure the ink cartridges will be available and affordable. Some of those models have refillable cartridges but the chips are 1 time use and expensive.

Ok I would appreciate it. I will look. I'm really wanting one that can do similar output to the ones in china. 24" I have an Epson 1430 we converted. It's just not nearly fast enough for our purposes.

1 hour ago, LADYLINEN said:

Oh your right, no chip resetter. So I'm better off getting an older one, correct?

A machine that has a way to reset/remove the ink chips, and a RIP program, not necessarily just an older one. Ekprint wouldn't support it, so If Kothari supports any 24" printer's I'm sure he'll let you know what models.

Good luck, sounds like a cool endeavor!

Edited by johnson4