DTF printing question

Not great. This one ended up having some banding in the black (shouldn't have printed black on a black shirt, my mess up)  and I didn't wipe the powder off enough.

I'm printing in the shop not the offices so temperature in the room was around 85 and low humidity so that could be the issue. 

Just like DTG I can see there is a bit of a learning curve. I think once I have final Kothari settings environments all saved it won't be as hard for the next person.

I have the same supplier as Hobby Print that has thoroughly tested this stuff for months so I know it's me not the supplies at this point.

dtf_done.thumb.jpg.f15fea2333830a2993767e7b71a90c0a.jpgdtf_wet_print.thumb.jpg.2866f99b80a2f38de8466d315722591c.jpg

15 minutes ago, Andy - Admin said:

Not great. This one ended up having some banding in the black (shouldn't have printed black on a black shirt, my mess up)  and I didn't wipe the powder off enough.

I'm printing in the shop not the offices so temperature in the room was around 85 and low humidity so that could be the issue. 

Just like DTG I can see there is a bit of a learning curve. I think once I have final Kothari settings environments all saved it won't be as hard for the next person.

I have the same supplier as Hobby Print that has thoroughly tested this stuff for months so I know it's me not the supplies at this point.

dtf_done.thumb.jpg.f15fea2333830a2993767e7b71a90c0a.jpgdtf_wet_print.thumb.jpg.2866f99b80a2f38de8466d315722591c.jpg

Still looks really good, that's what happened to me as well when the powder wasn't fully removed from the sheet ( I'm comparing this to actual plastisol transfers). 

Other than that, which is a pretty easy to do thing, it looks really good. The small details are outstanding. 

When your removing the powder, do you "flick" the film? It helped me anyway when I did that. 

23 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

It's really odd how similar that film looks to the Film that I have from other types of transfers. I wonder if the "magic" really is in the ink... 

I agree and my uneducated guess is a lot of this stuff is repurposed. 

It’s more likely the powder is the same as screen print powder than it being some new formula. But that’s just my speculation. 

19 minutes ago, uhim said:

I have a question; The film is sold for one dollar for A3 format, I could not find it cheap. Is the film reusable? or can it only be used once?

I haven't tried but sometimes it gets wrinkled during use.

But yes the price of film does make it tougher to compete with DTG on large prints. 

Hey Andy, what about ink maintenance? Are DTF inks easier on the printhead? Do you need to shake the white too to prevent separation? I was google translating the comments on that Hobby Print video and I think I remember him saying DTF inks clog less.

36 minutes ago, skwakk said:

Hey Andy, what about ink maintenance? Are DTF inks easier on the printhead? Do you need to shake the white too to prevent separation? I was google translating the comments on that Hobby Print video and I think I remember him saying DTF inks clog less.

The claim is the white is less clogging, I don't know.

It separates the same as DTG inks. See the attached picture. This is after a couple day sitting without use

The light print is the first print and the white print is after an ink charge.

Photo Oct 07, 1 30 19 PM.jpg

The more I use this I see that it has some pros and cons but is in no way a "revolutionary" technique that will disrupt the industry but be an add on. 

The ideal situation will be to get this working with DTG inks so you can print DTG and DTF with the same inkset and broaden the range of items you can print with DTG equipment

2 hours ago, Andy - Admin said:

The more I use this I see that it has some pros and cons but is in no way a "revolutionary" technique that will disrupt the industry but be an add on. 

The ideal situation will be to get this working with DTG inks so you can print DTG and DTF with the same inkset and broaden the range of items you can print with DTG equipment

This is my thought exactly.

8 hours ago, mikeeman2000 said:

This is my thought exactly.

Agreed, So what happens when you use regular DTG ink? By the way i Absolutely love how honest you are being about it, Shocking to me since almost anyone selling the stuff will say what they need, to get you to buy. Definitely gives me more piece of mind of any future products you may carry. 

Edited by johnson4

46 minutes ago, Jhumet said:

OK so if it's not DTG ink and it's not Plastisol what is it?

From The information I've read on the internet, Both. Though the DTG use would be for cotton only it said. 

I doubt they would tell people exactly what it is, in fear of it being reproduced.

4 hours ago, Andy - Admin said:

It's a water based ink that is similar to DTG inks. Plastisol is completely different than inkjet inks

Yea, it’s weird they advertised it as plastisol ink. Seems like that’s going to create confusion for awhile, note my less than helpful comment above. 

I should have the samples Tomorrow.
if you had to guess, what ink percentage would you use in EK with this product to start off with? Seems like it would need to be much less than normal, don’t want to end up with a pool of ink everywhere the first go around. 

38 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Yea, it’s weird they advertised it as plastisol ink. Seems like that’s going to create confusion for awhile, note my less than helpful comment above. 

I should have the samples Tomorrow.
if you had to guess, what ink percentage would you use in EK with this product to start off with? Seems like it would need to be much less than normal, don’t want to end up with a pool of ink everywhere the first go around. 

With Kothari it's not much less than DTG.  I'd start with your DTG settings and check the box to print color first. Then adjust from there

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Andy - Admin said:

With Kothari it's not much less than DTG.  I'd start with your DTG settings and check the box to print color first. Then adjust from there

Thanks, I had planned to use Kothari originally, But I can't find any P600's for sale anywhere under $1400 and don't want to sacrifice my only spare, just in case.  so I ended up needing to use one of the P800's. By the way, If anyone intends on using a P800, removing the " pizza wheels" requires no tear down. Just a flat head screwdriver and about 2 minutes to pop them off, Which i'm not certain is even necessary if you use the front loading function. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 12:11 AM, Andy - Admin said:

Hi Andy, i am new here. Where you sell your supplys?
I’ve only done 1 wash so far and it’s fine. 

A trusted customer of mine has been using the supplies I have for a couple months with good results. 

Yes we will be selling the DTF supplies, I already have some inventory and will list it in the online store after a bit more testing.

DTF Ink prices will match our DTG ink prices. 

I see DTF as another decorating option that will work for some people and not others.