DTF printing question

13 hours ago, anum11 said:

Why should someone use this method?

I spent all day today printing with DTF inks, film, etc. 

I think the biggest advantage is you can slightly modify an Epson desktop printer and run the sheets through so cost to enter will be lower than DTG since you won’t need add on electronics or a platen system. 

Per print will be more expensive than DTG because of the film costs especially on white shirts. Also, it feels a bit like a “iron on” transfer. 

I don’t think it’s a DTG killer as some are hyping it to be. It has many of the same limitations that other transfer processes have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy - Admin said:

I spent all day today printing with DTF inks, film, etc. 

I think the biggest advantage is you can slightly modify an Epson desktop printer and run the sheets through so cost to enter will be lower than DTG since you won’t need add on electronics or a platen system. 

Per print will be more expensive than DTG because of the film costs especially on white shirts. Also, it feels a bit like a “iron on” transfer. 

I don’t think it’s a DTG killer as some are hyping it to be. It has many of the same limitations that other transfer processes have. 

Hey Andy did you test washability? Also will you be carrying DTF stuff (inks, films etc)?

58 minutes ago, skwakk said:

Hey Andy did you test washability? Also will you be carrying DTF stuff (inks, films etc)?

I’ve only done 1 wash so far and it’s fine. 

A trusted customer of mine has been using the supplies I have for a couple months with good results. 

Yes we will be selling the DTF supplies, I already have some inventory and will list it in the online store after a bit more testing.

DTF Ink prices will match our DTG ink prices. 

I see DTF as another decorating option that will work for some people and not others. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andy - Admin said:

I’ve only done 1 wash so far and it’s fine. 

A trusted customer of mine has been using the supplies I have for a couple months with good results. 

Yes we will be selling the DTF supplies, I already have some inventory and will list it in the online store after a bit more testing.

DTF Ink prices will match our DTG ink prices. 

I see DTF as another decorating option that will work for some people and not others. 

besides changing the ink/cartridges..what other modifications do you need to do to a standard epson printer?  Can you feed the film as is? or do we have to modify so that its a flatbed feed like with dtg?

5 hours ago, anum11 said:

So its basically an upgrade to sublimation transfer.

The way I'm going to see it, at least so far, It's going to basically be a Printable Self Weeding vinyl ( I mean, not at all technically, but basically from a customer standpoint). If it sits on the fabric, it's going to have a hand, similar to plastisol, or vinyl I would imagine. I know I can make plastisol feel like water-based and almost non-existent, but not on the transfer side of things.

being peeled from a Plastic sheet, like Andy said will probably leave it looking " glossy" or plastic like. 

I have used products that do the exact same thing but on a laser printer, which would crack. Being DTG ink, Its flexibility will probably provide good results. 

Personally, If it's not an arm and a leg per sheet, I'd try it out for sure. 

I don't think it will end up being better, or more cost efficient than DTG, or even screen-printing.

I don't think it will meet every customers expectations, especially those used to DTG or screen-printing.

For a standard tee though, I'm sure it would work great. If and when it becomes available, given it's price standpoint, I would be using it for custom tags if it worked out well. 

If it's the same Transfer powder they use with Plastisol transfers, it will yellow and crack with age/UV exposure, and it's possible for it to peel off if the shirt gets too hot. If you accidentally get any " leftover" powder on a white shirt, it will yellow the garment, it's best to "flick" several times to remove the excess powder.

With all that said though, I'll be one of the first to adopt it once it's available here, just so I know, and have experience with it. I can't knock it until I've tried it, So... I'm waiting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skwakk said:

besides changing the ink/cartridges..what other modifications do you need to do to a standard epson printer?  Can you feed the film as is? or do we have to modify so that its a flatbed feed like with dtg?

It's probably the same as any other film going through it, I know the P800 has an option to print thicker materials so it won't leave the pizza roller marks. More than likely, This is what you will have to remove, as well as find a way to get in there and clean the printhead/capping station. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Andy - Admin said:

I agree tag printing and also transfers to hats have my interest since traditionally I'd get those made with screen print transfers.

Absolutely, So I'll be keeping an eye out for the post when it's available, It would come in real handy in a few weeks when it breaks loose. 

15 minutes ago, johnson4 said:

Absolutely, So I'll be keeping an eye out for the post when it's available, It would come in real handy in a few weeks when it breaks loose. 

I'll sell you some sample size of the stuff if you want. Also, I have that demo dongle. Shoot me an email.   I've been using Kothari for the DTF because it has the option to print the color before the white. (so does EK). I can share what I have so far for the Kothari environment

Pricing is going to be:

$169 - Ink set  250ml each CMYK and 500ml White ( I could do smaller quantity)

$25 - per pound on the powder glue

$1.25 - per 12.5x18 sheet. (not precision cut)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Andy - Admin said:

I'll sell you some sample size of the stuff if you want. Also, I have that demo dongle. Shoot me an email.   I've been using Kothari for the DTF because it has the option to print the color before the white. (so does EK). I can share what I have so far for the Kothari environment

Pricing is going to be:

$169 - Ink set  250ml each CMYK and 500ml White ( I could do smaller quantity)

$25 - per pound on the powder glue

$1.25 - per 12.5x18 sheet. (not precision cut)

That really isn't bad at all, I'll shoot over the email. It's like Christmas in October! haha.

Is this a special powder, i am wondering if i can find this in my country on stores. Also for paper what is its name.

I am not insterested in that on t shirts but it is logical for hat socks wood etc. I am wondering if this can replace need of a UV printer accually.

2 hours ago, anum11 said:

Is this a special powder, i am wondering if i can find this in my country on stores. Also for paper what is its name.

I am not insterested in that on t shirts but it is logical for hat socks wood etc. I am wondering if this can replace need of a UV printer accually.

I've ordered some and will be testing it on just about anything and everything, as I always do when something new comes out. I will be posting my results once it I do, I can include wood as well. 

I don't have any of it yet, but It sounds a lot like Transfer powder for plastisol ink. The other day I did a test print on a inkjet transparency and the powder does stick to regular DTG ink, and transfer to the shirt, if the transparency had been designed to release the print ( and hold the ink better) it would have worked. I put some powdered pre-treatment on the film I used and it worked better, but not enough to conclude its similar, I don't think it is. It's basically a polymer (the plastisol polymer powder, its like plastic) that melts and mends to the surface, at least the plastisol version I have. The few things I've tested this powder on when doing plastisol transfers, it works on just about anything porous, not things like glass ( where UV would work). The price point, and the way it looks, I'd be willing to bet it's the same thing since they also call it plastisol ink. 

I'm starting to think the film/ink might use a different carrier, in which that they work together( film/ink) kind of like pre-treatment and DTG ink, But I'm not sure. If it were anything related to plastisol ink carrier wise, you wouldn't need to worry about it drying out in your heads as much. 

I feel most of us will probably use it for other methods other than a replacement for DTG, but rather an add-on. It is cheaper than I expected, so I'll do my best to involve it in my business. 

Edited by johnson4

1 hour ago, mikeeman2000 said:

Isn't the process super tedious? Don't you have to use an oven and heat the transfer after the powder has been applied? Seems like it would take way longer than DTG and the feel is different. 

Correct, sure you don't have to pretreat but you have extra steps still.

Like everything there's a time and place for it, but isn't for every one and every situation.

2 hours ago, mikeeman2000 said:

Isn't the process super tedious? Don't you have to use an oven and heat the transfer after the powder has been applied? Seems like it would take way longer than DTG and the feel is different. 

The way I imagine it, Your printing it, Throw some powder on it from a larger Tupperware container, Eaither a " lid and shake" method or just have a small container to pour it on. Flick off the excess, and hit it with a heat gun for 15 seconds. When I did this with regular DTG ink, it dried the ink well enough. I have no idea yet what this ink will do, But I plan on finding the quickest most efficient method possible to see if I can justify it's use. 

At least, that's how it worked for me with screen-printing. After that, the glue melts when heated onto the substrate and that's that. I was able to print(Screen-Print), powder, and cure a transfer in around 30 seconds by hand with plastisol ink, so the idea isn't that much of a PITA. You could also use a flash dryer instead of a conveyor if you want to be cheap but not as cheap as a heat gun. 

I believe the process is to be an Add-on, not a comparison to DTG in general. At least, I see it that way. 

Edited by johnson4

I do appreciate Andy's honesty about the product though. Most products in this category the manufacturer lies about it and its a " do all magic product". When a issue occurs, it's " your not doing it right".

I as well don't think it would be at all worth it to use it for a DTG replacement, but it could potentially be an easy add-on . 

For things like tags, hats, and other various things, I'm sure it will work great, since the product made it this far. 

I'm willing to run a new/unused P800 with the inkset to see how well it works which is saying quite a bit coming from me. 

Edited by johnson4