yellow channel printhead leak

danovator

I continue to slowly (really slowly) work on my uv flatbed conversion of a R3000.  I succeeded in the flatbed work with support from this group and after mounting a uv led I went to work converting the inks.  I purchased a couple sets of refillable cartridges and loaded cleaning fluid in the first set.  I ran cleaning cycles until all the original ink had cleared.  I loaded the 2nd set of cartridges with uv inks (Aomya - supposedly plastic safe) and ran cleaning cycles to charge the system.  

The printhead is now leaking - only from the yellow channel.  When I wipe off the yellow ink from the bottom of the printhead it starts reforming immediately - enough to drip.  I'm worried about damage from the uv ink but the ink cartridges and ink lines appear fine. I removed the assembly with all the dampers and visually it looks good too.  I reassembled and still have the leak.  

I assume some check valve (in the cartridge or damper or manifold?) isn't doing its job.  Somewhere along the line I came across a good discussion of the pressurized ink delivery system with explanation of the check valves but I can't lay my hands on it.  I'm ok if I need to replace a damper or something but I sure hope it's not a problem with the uv inks degrading the plastic.

Any thoughts on a fix would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

By no means Do i know anything at all like most of the guys on here, But, I'm pretty sure the stock Damper system isn't set up to use UV ink, AKA, Bad stuff happens. 

From what I read before i put that on the back burner, You needed your own damper lines and dampers at the head that are made for the type of ink. 

Take my advice with a grain of salt, But it sounds like something isn't liking that ink.

Good luck with it, I'm following the post, Because in a few months I'll be headed down the same path.

I've taken the damper system apart before ( before i threw it away) and aside from the rubber "valves' at the manifold, and the one's in the dampers at the head( which actuate in the same manner). Its just passageways and tubing. 

Edited by johnson4

I did confirm which printer model with the seller before I bought the ink and I let some junk parts sit in the ink for a number of days (all was ok) before I charged up my printer.  I messaged the seller again but at this point it's a done deal.   I'm planning to pull out the dampers and check their condition (messy task).  Is there any way to know whether the head is damaged?  All I can see is the manifold on top and the plate on the bottom which look ok.  

53 minutes ago, danovator said:

I did confirm which printer model with the seller before I bought the ink and I let some junk parts sit in the ink for a number of days (all was ok) before I charged up my printer.  I messaged the seller again but at this point it's a done deal.   I'm planning to pull out the dampers and check their condition (messy task).  Is there any way to know whether the head is damaged?  All I can see is the manifold on top and the plate on the bottom which look ok.  

The head is probably okay from my understanding on it's Resistance to the type of inks. the damaged damper system would cause all that. My only thoughts would be to test print with it in another printer, or after you replace those parts. If the face is still shiny and the electronics didn't get any liquid/ink on them and the manifold looks fine its probably fine. 

Again, A grain of salt :)

• 1 year later...